Thread poster: Claudia Boday
Claudia Boday
Claudia Boday  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:10
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Jan 12, 2006

Hello! I live in Italy (Turin) and I really want to start working in the field of film translation. I graduated in June and I have already sent several CVs around, but I got no answer. At the moment I have another job but this is not really what I am planning to do for the rest of my life.. I know you have already discussed similar topics so possibly I would like to have suggestions referring to the place I live.
thanks very much!! : )

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:10
French to Spanish
+ ...
Experience? Jan 12, 2006

Yes, we've already talked about this topic.
You say: "...I have already sent several CVs around..."
Obviously, this ain't enough.

1.- You don't seem to have any experience in this field and that's the first goal, in my opinion. (Begin as a trainee and contact other translators with experience).
2.- Personal contact is vital: we know... Internet, globalization, bla, bla. But I'm firmely convinced that talking to people would make it easier for you to get something f
... See more
Yes, we've already talked about this topic.
You say: "...I have already sent several CVs around..."
Obviously, this ain't enough.

1.- You don't seem to have any experience in this field and that's the first goal, in my opinion. (Begin as a trainee and contact other translators with experience).
2.- Personal contact is vital: we know... Internet, globalization, bla, bla. But I'm firmely convinced that talking to people would make it easier for you to get something from them.

Good luck, and please excuse my poor English writing.
Collapse

Claudia Boday
Claudia Boday  Identity Verified
Italy
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 13, 2006

[quote]Juan Jacob wrote:

Dear Juan,

Thanks for replying.

"1.- You don't seem to have any experience in this field and that's the first goal, in my opinion. "
I wrote my final thesis on dubbing and subtitling, and I really got in the subject. I have also translated subtitles from Hungarian to Italian, as a hobby.

"2.- Personal contact is vital: we know... Internet, globalization, bla, bla. But I'm firmely convinced that talking to people would make it easier for you to get something from them."

I also got in touch with some Italian dubbing director but they are in Rome, and I'm in Turin, so it's not so easy...

I am trying to do my best : )

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Claudia

laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
reply to claudia Feb 4, 2006

hey there claudia! i'm italian too...and juss like you i graduated in foreign languages and i got a master degree in translating, adapting and subtitling of audiovisual works... I know that there are some agencies there in Turin... u'd better check 'em out!
As for Rome.. if you don't have any "real" connections there, it's gonna be really hard. Me and my collegues are struggling to find translations... Subtitling or dubbing agencies are for "elite ppl".. Even if you send emails asking to b
... See more
hey there claudia! i'm italian too...and juss like you i graduated in foreign languages and i got a master degree in translating, adapting and subtitling of audiovisual works... I know that there are some agencies there in Turin... u'd better check 'em out!
As for Rome.. if you don't have any "real" connections there, it's gonna be really hard. Me and my collegues are struggling to find translations... Subtitling or dubbing agencies are for "elite ppl".. Even if you send emails asking to be a trainee.. I so wish ppl would stop telling us " u don't have the experience". Well, this is what i think: if no one let you start or test ur knowledge.. how they gonna know if you can do something??? That's why i like some foreign agencies, they send you tests....if you get lucky u can get jobs too.
You know what u should do? Take a course of Trados... it seems if ya don't have that u can't translate! pitty it costs only almost 1000 bux lol. Never lose hope!! hey if you wanna get in touch u can send me some email or add me to msn
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Start working in Italy

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »