Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much to charge this person for my whole day?
Thread poster: Arturo Villasenor Garcia
Anja Fulle
Anja Fulle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:09
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
value your own work Jun 12, 2012

I have been working as a freelance translator for over 20 years now, and I have come across frustrating experiences as well. I translate into German and Spanish, and I confess that I now hardly translate into Spanish anymore, and if I do, it is mostly for clients that have known me for a while and value my work, just because over the last 5 or 6 years, rates have dropped lower and lower. It is ridiculous what some people think a translators work is worth, but, as it already has been said in thi... See more
I have been working as a freelance translator for over 20 years now, and I have come across frustrating experiences as well. I translate into German and Spanish, and I confess that I now hardly translate into Spanish anymore, and if I do, it is mostly for clients that have known me for a while and value my work, just because over the last 5 or 6 years, rates have dropped lower and lower. It is ridiculous what some people think a translators work is worth, but, as it already has been said in this forum, don't give away your work for almost nothing. The time and work we invest in our education is not honored (not by ourselves and not by the client), if we work for peanuts.
Not only does it affect you, but it also sends out a message to clients that they actually CAN get cheap translation work.
If she does not accept a decent rate (depending on where in the US you are located, this should be at the very, very least 25-30 $ per hour), tell her thank you and goodbye and go looking for better clients.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge this person for my whole day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »