Client asks to return the TM
Thread poster: MaryWilson
Jul 31, 2009

What is it that the client wants me to do by asking to return TM?

Thanks in advance!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-31 19:48 GMT]

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 09:08
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Translation Memory Jul 31, 2009

You probably translated with a CAT tool. So your client asks you to send them the TM (translation memory).

Regards,
Maya

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
English to Danish
+ ...
Simply ask the client! Aug 1, 2009

Wouldn't it be much easier to ask the client? He/she would know the answer. I just don't understand this reluctance to ask the client when it's the easiest solution. They are people just like you and me, and they don't mind questions... it's part of their job! Finally, asking your client doesn't make you look like a fool, if that's what you're worried about.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Asking the client, always a sensible option Aug 1, 2009

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
Wouldn't it be much easier to ask the client? He/she would know the answer. I just don't understand this reluctance to ask the client when it's the easiest solution.

Indeed. I completely and utterly agree. Very often people ask odd acronyms in Kudoz just because they want to look smart... but the wise option is to ask the customer and show them that you care and want to be accurate.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In some Englishes Aug 1, 2009

MaryWilson wrote:
What is it that the client wants me to do by asking to return TM?

In some Englishes, "to return" simply means to send by reply. So perhaps the client wants you to send him the TM when you reply to his mail.

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Return TM Aug 2, 2009

I think the client is clearly asking you to return a TM and I'm guessing they believe you may have created a new TM for their project, in which case, simply export the TM and mail it to them. However, if you have a single TM in which you work on all projects instead of one for each project, the request is silly. You would be sending them all the information in the TM, including that related to projects for other clients. Who would do that? In that case, I would send them an uncleaned version of ... See more
I think the client is clearly asking you to return a TM and I'm guessing they believe you may have created a new TM for their project, in which case, simply export the TM and mail it to them. However, if you have a single TM in which you work on all projects instead of one for each project, the request is silly. You would be sending them all the information in the TM, including that related to projects for other clients. Who would do that? In that case, I would send them an uncleaned version of the translation. They can easily incorporate that into their own TM.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client asks to return the TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »