Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Invoicing from the Canaries? Sorry, no Spanish yet!
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Ursula Leberl
Ursula Leberl
English to German
+ ...
No problems Feb 5, 2012

Hi Sheila,

there are no problems so far.
But again, Alex has explained it very well already.

Here is a Link http://www.spanish-living.com/starting-business-spain/id-numbers
for more informacion about ID-Numbers in Spain and a lot more that might be interesting.

There is also a thread in the spanish forum, where Monika Jak
... See more
Hi Sheila,

there are no problems so far.
But again, Alex has explained it very well already.

Here is a Link http://www.spanish-living.com/starting-business-spain/id-numbers
for more informacion about ID-Numbers in Spain and a lot more that might be interesting.

There is also a thread in the spanish forum, where Monika Jakacka put a list on what to put in the invoice depending of type and location of your client.
http://deu.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/190903-en_las_facturas:_¿vat_number_=_nie.html

I hope this helps a bit.

When do you plan to move?

Ursula
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'll get as far as Tenerife, for sure Feb 5, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Maybe see you around the bars in Corralejo, Parrot? I'll recognise you from your photo, no problem, and I'll be with hubby, John, who'll be providing the musical entertainment.

... somewhere like LoroParque

I don't think it'll be hard to explain to the Germans; they do make up a large part of Fuerteventura's seasonal summer population. (And unless I'm mistaken, LoroParque is largely German in conception).

To sum up, get a VAT number, get listed in ROI, and you have the rest down pat nicely. (For help, try a "gestor administrativo").

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, it's becoming clear now Feb 5, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:
When requesting your NIF/CIF remember to ask to be included in the REGISTRO OPERADORES INTRACOMUNITARIOS EN ESPAÑA that way your NIF/CIF will be recorded in the VIES system Emma mentioned

This is definitely worth knowing and clears up a lot of the confusion in my mind. I should have an NIE number by now, but my lawyer needs a prod to tell me what it is (yes, I'm getting used to the Canarian version of mañana already!). Hopefully, I'll be able to get onto VIES retrospectively. I'll work as a French autoentrepreneur for a couple of months while I sort things out. Thanks again Alex.

@Ursula:
Thanks for the link, I'll try to make sense of it but it isn't easy with only 10 hours of Spanish lessons under my belt.

We'll be over for a week next month with the absolute maximum hold baggage allowance - 4 suitcases full of assorted items including pots and pans (should play havoc with the airport security scanners) plus at least one guitar - then we'll come over for good with the cat towards end April or early May. Should be really nice and warm by then, I hope.

@Parrot:
We can match anything Tenerife can do, just a bit smaller - you'll feel perfectly at home at Oasis Park.

Thanks everyone, I reckon that just about answers all my questions. This site is just SO useful!

Sheila

Elena Pérez
Elena Pérez  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some information is not accurate Feb 6, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
1) I never add VAT/IVA to my invoices, repeat NEVER

That's correct.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
2) I only add IGIC on invoices within the Canaries, and then only if I earn over the limit that Emma specified

Yes. But the first year you work as an "autonomo" in the Canaries you're ALWAYS exempt from charging IGIC. Every year in January you have to check the limit published by the Canarian government. As Emma said, this year the limit is 29 015 €, which means that if you earned more than 29 015 € in 2011, you'll have to start charging IGIC in 2012 (but, before that, you'll have to file a "modelo 400" stating that you're no longer exempt from charging IGIC).

If you don't charge IGIC, you have to add the sentence "Exento de IGIC por art. 10.1.28 de la Ley 20/1991" to all your invoices to clients to whom you should otherwise have to charge IGIC.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
3) when I invoice a private person (e.g. if I edit their CV - as I do), I don't add/subtract anything, apart from maybe adding IGIC if they too are based in the Canaries

You would have to add IGIC (no matter where they're based) if your income in the previous year has been higher than the limit established by the Canarian government.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
3) when I invoice a business (i.e. company or freelancer) anywhere on Spanish territory, I deduct IRPF (before adding IGIC if applicable) so that the government gets its hands on some tax before I spend it all

Almost correct. Both IRPF and IGIC are calculated from the same amount ("base imponible") - you don't have to calculate one before the other. Example: if you have a "base imponible" of €100, you would have to deduct €15 IRPF and add €5 IGIC.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
4) I treat EU countries apart from Spain in the same way as non-EU countries; i.e. there's (1) the Canaries, (2) the rest of Spain, (3) the rest of the world. That means nothing added and nothing subtracted on invoices to France.

Yes, unless you invoice a private person. In that case, I think (I'm not 100% sure, since I have never done any jobs for private persons in other countries) you would have to charge IGIC if you are above the limit for IGIC.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
The only thing left is how to explain all that to clients who have no idea that the Canary Islands are (a) in the EU, (b) in the Euro zone and (c) NOT in the VAT zone.

The only case in which you'll need to explain it is if your client looks you up in the VIES and doesn't find you (as we're not in the VAT territory, we can't be included in the ROI and, therefore, are not in the VIES database). I work for clients in different EU countries and they have never asked for explanations. I invoice exactly the same way as if I were in mainland Spain (no VAT/IGIC, no IRPF). Anyway, there's information about the Canaries being outside the VAT territory in the EU regulations about VAT.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Alex suggests I check with a professional, and I certainly agree that I'll have to run through this again before writing my first invoices. Can someone tell me who I should discuss it with? Would a "gestor" be the person to go to, or a "contable"? I need a job title so I can look for them in the Paginas Amarillas. I've looked under "Gestion fiscal" but there isn't a single one listed on Fuerteventura!

I'll look for a gestor or asesor fiscal, but try to find one with experience with service providers who have clients in other countries (and mainland Spain if that is your case).

Elena

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thank you very much! Feb 6, 2012

I moved to Ibiza on 5 January, wow wonderful island too, and I also need some clarification,

May I ask if the above also apply to Ibiza residents?

I already have my NIE,

Thanks a lot to all of you!

Angie

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Elena Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for your input, Elena, especially for those words to put on my invoices.

There's a lot to digest in all this. Thanks all!

Sheila

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
translator based on Gran Canaria Feb 7, 2012

Hi Sheila!

I am based on GC. If you want to ask something more, feel free to ask me and I can forward your question to my Canarian accountat

Take care!
Ann

Elena Pérez
Elena Pérez  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ibiza is not in the Canary Islands Feb 7, 2012

Prof. Angie G. wrote:

I moved to Ibiza on 5 January, wow wonderful island too, and I also need some clarification,

May I ask if the above also apply to Ibiza residents?

No, it only applies to the Canary Islands.

Elena

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ann Feb 7, 2012

AnKrol wrote:
I am based on GC. If you want to ask something more, feel free to ask me and I can forward your question to my Canarian accountat

That's a very kind offer, Ann. Thanks very much. I'll send you a PM if necessary.

Sheila

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thank you very much Elena Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for your kindness, and sorry for my ignorance

Have a great day!

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Sure Feb 7, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

AnKrol wrote:

That's a very kind offer, Ann. Thanks very much. I'll send you a PM if necessary.

Sheila

Sure, have a great day!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing from the Canaries? Sorry, no Spanish yet!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »