WFC won't insert glossary terms into target segment
Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 00:24
Slovak to English
Jun 11, 2021

I seem to be having more problems than usual with Wordfast Classic these days. After installing v. 8.33 today, resolving an issue I had with very slow typing, I am now unable to insert glossary terms into target segments. A glossary term will be highlighted in the source segment, I toggle to it with ctrl+alt+arrow and I can see info between the source and target segments that says "Glo1" along with the translation of the term. But then when I use ctrl+alt+down arrow to insert the term, it only c... See more
I seem to be having more problems than usual with Wordfast Classic these days. After installing v. 8.33 today, resolving an issue I had with very slow typing, I am now unable to insert glossary terms into target segments. A glossary term will be highlighted in the source segment, I toggle to it with ctrl+alt+arrow and I can see info between the source and target segments that says "Glo1" along with the translation of the term. But then when I use ctrl+alt+down arrow to insert the term, it only copies the source term into the segment, not the translation.

Is there some setting I've overlooked?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
English to French
+ ...
this has become a frequent issue... Jun 11, 2021

... in recent releases.

I have found that closing (Alt+End), then re-opening WfC, closing Word, restarting Windows, alone or in combination, usually, sometimes repeatedly, may solve the problem.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce it reliably, and YC has not been able to solve the issue.

other similar issues WRT to glossary insertion, such as Ctrl+Alt+DownArrow not working, Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right Arrow not moving between placeables in the
... See more
... in recent releases.

I have found that closing (Alt+End), then re-opening WfC, closing Word, restarting Windows, alone or in combination, usually, sometimes repeatedly, may solve the problem.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce it reliably, and YC has not been able to solve the issue.

other similar issues WRT to glossary insertion, such as Ctrl+Alt+DownArrow not working, Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right Arrow not moving between placeables in the source segment, Enter inserting a Carriage return, or not selecting the highlighted choice, to name a few, are usually solved by the measures above, subject to the same remarks.

Separately, Wf not displaying ALL suggestions when a term is in more than one of the selected glossaries, also may or may not be solved by the measures above.

And, most irrititating (because this issue used to not exist) is WfC inability to display suggestions when a glossary entry or a placeable is adjacent to an opening or closing parenthese, a slash, an apostrophe.

Otherwise, 8.33 seems to have cleared other recent issues.

JL
Collapse

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Jean Jun 11, 2021

Thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately none worked for me. There is a whole different feel to v 8.33 – it seems quite buggy. For instance, I like to display all formatting marks when I work, but it will only show paragraph marks for a few minutes. In earlier versions, parenthetical remarks were autosuggested but no longer. In fact, autosuggest seems not to function at all. When I delete a word the last word in the target segment using ctrl+del, the cursor disappears from the segment an... See more
Thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately none worked for me. There is a whole different feel to v 8.33 – it seems quite buggy. For instance, I like to display all formatting marks when I work, but it will only show paragraph marks for a few minutes. In earlier versions, parenthetical remarks were autosuggested but no longer. In fact, autosuggest seems not to function at all. When I delete a word the last word in the target segment using ctrl+del, the cursor disappears from the segment and I have to click in the segment to get it back. I have 2 separate (but apparently equal, just with a different appearance) WF toolbars. If I open the Wordfast window mid-segment, my session has closed when I go back to the document and I have to manually find where I was and restart WF.

I think I had a few more, but they have slipped my mind for now. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off going back to a version somewhere between 6.99 and 8.33, but I don't think the slow typing issue was fixed until 8.33.

I would be interested in hearing from others to see if they're experiencing similar issues.

Edited to add:

I just remembered another quirk: If I leave a segment open and leave the computer for awhile, when I come back neither the cursor nor the mouse work in the document for close to a minute.

[Edited at 2021-06-11 17:02 GMT]
Collapse

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Never had slow typing effect Jun 12, 2021

1. I used to experiment with my software configuration a lot, though. Cleaning up all unnecessary programs, helpers, addons, etc, working in the background, removing items installed by default by the Win OS, etc. I also found that installing anything new, even for a test, may disrupt desktop or Office behaviour, or make a mess in WFC installation. So I added 'make restore point' routine to my work before any new experiments. On top of that, I have disabled all automatic updates wherever possible... See more
1. I used to experiment with my software configuration a lot, though. Cleaning up all unnecessary programs, helpers, addons, etc, working in the background, removing items installed by default by the Win OS, etc. I also found that installing anything new, even for a test, may disrupt desktop or Office behaviour, or make a mess in WFC installation. So I added 'make restore point' routine to my work before any new experiments. On top of that, I have disabled all automatic updates wherever possible. Once something is working and I am satisfied with it, I leave it alone. As a result the whole software makeup of my desktop may look archaic. But incidence of 'surprises' is extremely low.
2. Tried to install WFC in different Word versions. It was extremely successful with Word 97, but that time is gone. Worked nicely with Word 2003, although speed of work dropped down rapidly. Word 2010 has a lot more to offer in terms of operations on text / document, so I kind of agreed to make the compromise. Once I set up the Word to my needs (toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, all options in all configuration windows), good speed of WFC came back.
3. WFC has 'Pandora', which is great to play with.
4. I found that creating and following up with good TM / GLO maintenance is crucial to WFC and reliability of the translation process.
5. Different versions of WFC behave differently in the same computer / OS / Office setup. If you have access to older versions licensed to you, I would recommend reinstalling them one by one and finding 'the right one'. In my case it is an early 6.xx. I do test new editions now and then, but so far none of them matches my work habits.
6. All of the above applies to a desktop machine with plenty of memory and disk space, a good processor, reliable cooling, and 'no Windows updates'. I guess that notebook setups may behave differently due to hardware limitations.
7. Daily cleanup. Clearing up registry issues, removing temp files from the system, deleting duplicate files, etc, helps a lot in stabilising the system. Plus I do not defragment disk partitions (I lost some files occasionally, so I got the lesson). Instead, I have split HDs into meaningful work areas (aka partitions) to move the whole partition content to a blank partition to clean the disk.
I spent a few days on streamlining the machine + software. Once I got what I wanted, I 'froze' the configuration as a baseline / reference that ensures reliable work.
I have the feeling that going through steps 1-7 was worth it. In simple systems with a few programs installed, this process (1-7) may take up to three days. WFC is a masterpiece. It deserves a good platform to work from.
I hope that something of the above will be helpful in your case.
Collapse

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 15, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem was solved after I installed the most recent version of WFC. Everything seems to be fine now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC won't insert glossary terms into target segment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »