Creating a tag for newline (\n) and pipe (|) for Excel file
Thread poster: Catherine Dexter
Catherine Dexter
Catherine Dexter
Spain
Spanish to English
Apr 21, 2022

I'm translating an xlsx file that contains lots of newlines as backslash followed by n (\n). I'd like to convert them to tags to get them out of my way, but I don't understand regex well enough to do it.

I'd also like the segmentation to work so that a period, question mark or exclamation point right before \n but with no space after it (for example: .\n) ends the segment. (If \n appears between two words in a sentence, I don't want a break.)

I've gotten far enough in
... See more
I'm translating an xlsx file that contains lots of newlines as backslash followed by n (\n). I'd like to convert them to tags to get them out of my way, but I don't understand regex well enough to do it.

I'd also like the segmentation to work so that a period, question mark or exclamation point right before \n but with no space after it (for example: .\n) ends the segment. (If \n appears between two words in a sentence, I don't want a break.)

I've gotten far enough in researching to see that I need to define \n as a placeholder tag in Embedded Content and that \n is a control character, but I can't get anything to work (escaping out with a backslash before the backslash in \\n) and have no idea how to work with Advanced Settings or if they're involved in any way.

I also have pipes (|) that it would be nice to replace with tags, but it's not as critical since the pipe doesn't interfere with spell-checking.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2022-04-21 10:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-04-21 11:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-04-21 11:25 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:27
English to Russian
The processed file doesn't look like the preview Apr 22, 2022

because you have to re-import your source files after all the changes that you applied to your segmentation rules. You have to re-build both target and source sdlxliff files.
Switch to the source mode, remove the existing sdlxliff files (this action will remove both source and target sdlxliff files), drag and drop your source files again to the same project and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task. You could achieve the desired result not because you created a new TM, but becau
... See more
because you have to re-import your source files after all the changes that you applied to your segmentation rules. You have to re-build both target and source sdlxliff files.
Switch to the source mode, remove the existing sdlxliff files (this action will remove both source and target sdlxliff files), drag and drop your source files again to the same project and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task. You could achieve the desired result not because you created a new TM, but because you created new sdlxliff files. Actually you don't need to create a new project from scratch. You only need to re-create sdlxliff files, no matter whether you create a new TM or not. You can find this information at RWS forum — an RWS staff member Lydia Simplicio (formerly known as Steven) mentioned it in his/her reply:
Recreate your sdlxliff files against the amended TM

[Edited at 2022-04-23 14:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a tag for newline (\n) and pipe (|) for Excel file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »