Isabel Vidigal  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:13
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pay on the day Jul 25, 2009

Hello Mark,

Yes, you can do it, Mark , in the case you cannot make the payment before... we prefer not have a great number of people paying in the Conference day because we need to have a good idea of the right numbers of participants, I have to inform Disal how many participants we will have, also the bufeet for the coffee break, etc.

But the most important is your presence there!!

We'll be
... See more
Hello Mark,

Yes, you can do it, Mark , in the case you cannot make the payment before... we prefer not have a great number of people paying in the Conference day because we need to have a good idea of the right numbers of participants, I have to inform Disal how many participants we will have, also the bufeet for the coffee break, etc.

But the most important is your presence there!!

We'll be waiting for you!

Regards,
Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
I thank you! Jul 27, 2009

Many thanks Isabel! I appreciate that you need payment up front as far as possible - if , before the conference I can manage to put it on my credit card, I will; otherwise I'll be relying on your kindness to allow me to settle up on the day.

Wil definitely be there. Looking forward to it!

Kind regards,

Mark

Anabele Coelho
Anabele Coelho  Identity Verified
Portuguese
+ ...
Dúvida sobre a inscrição Aug 18, 2009

Oi, Isabel! Vou participar da conferência e cliquei no link Register now and pay later. No menu à esquerda as opções para membros aparecem esmaecidas para mim, mas estou inscrita no Proz. Gostaria de saber se só posso pagar as tarifas para não membros e até quando posso efetuar o pagamento? Abs, Anabele

Isabel Vidigal
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Tarifas Aug 18, 2009

Oi Anabele,

O Proz considera "membros" aqueles que pagam a membership. Você pode estar inscrita no Proz (aliás, se não tiver um perfil não consegue acessar esses links de pagamento), mas se não pagar a membership anual não é considerada membro para essa finalidade.

As inscrições estão abertas até 3a. feira, dia 25/08 (não se esqueça de dar uma olhada no programa do Networking Dinner e do Powwow!).

Um abraço,

Luciana Malano (X)
Luciana Malano (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
reply from a translation buyer! Aug 21, 2009

Hi!
I am Gabrielle, Vendor Manager at spanishbackoffice SA, a multi-lingual translation agency in Argentina. I'll be at the conference and I am very interested in talking to professional translators who would like to work with us. I agree with Simon that individual freelancers need to have a better idea of what larger translation agencies need - and I would be very happy to talk about it!

See you there!

Gabrielle

Simon Foakes wrote:

Hi Isabel!

Can you say when you will have a session programmed for translators on the issues I mentioned in the previous email? I didn't see anything in the program so far addressing that type of thing.

I was also wondering if you have invited any translation buyers so we could get their perspective on the translation market here. I sometimes feel we translators don't understand the needs of major consumers of translation which is why most companies based in Brazil get their translations done abroad.

Thanks!

Simon

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
This should be both amusing and amazing Aug 21, 2009

spanishbackoffi wrote:
I am Gabrielle, Vendor Manager at spanishbackoffice SA, a multi-lingual translation agency in Argentina. I'll be at the conference and I am very interested in talking to professional translators who would like to work with us. I agree with Simon that individual freelancers need to have a better idea of what larger translation agencies need - and I would be very happy to talk about it!
Gabrielle

Though I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it, on account of previous commitments, I'll try to be at either the dinner or the powwow.

I always wonder what is a larger translation agency, i.e. what's the yardstick?

a) Would it be a small and efficient operation that provides ALL language services into all language pairs to a few very large organizations, using a selected team of translators scattered worldwide?

b) Or would it be a huge office, crowded with PMs, many of which don't know their peers on another floor in the same building, where thousands of half-page jobs are assigned to several hundred translators every single day.

Of course, there are many other dimensions that could be used to measure translation agencies, but the amazing thing is that one same web site - which is usually all that both clients and translators see - would virtually fit any of them.

I use the "approach" yardstick for ranking agencies, i.e. how they approach me?

Typical extremes are:

a) What are your specialty areas? What knds of service, and what level of service do you offer? How much do you charge? (If the offer makes any sense, if it's something their clients need, they'll add their margin to that and sell it.)

b) We pay USD 0.05 (or less) per word by check, issued and mailed 60 days after delivery. Take it or drop it, but please don't waste our time discussing quality or any other gibberish that comes to your mind!

If I make it there, I'll try to find you in the crowd, Gabrielle. I'll probably be the guy speaking the worst Spanish - not Portuñol - around.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck, José... Aug 21, 2009

but I think you won't actually be asked about your specialities and rates...

Have a nice day.

Andrés

Isabel Vidigal
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation Agencies Aug 21, 2009

Hello Gabrielle, Simon and José Henrique,

Thank you for your comments!

This is the very first conference we are organizing here and, as I explained Simon, he had some Powwows and there we asked the translators to tell us the main issues they wanted to be discussed in a conference.
This conference reflects what they told us they wanted.

We don't have how to include a new speaker/presentation now.... this is decided from the very beginning, with
... See more
Hello Gabrielle, Simon and José Henrique,

Thank you for your comments!

This is the very first conference we are organizing here and, as I explained Simon, he had some Powwows and there we asked the translators to tell us the main issues they wanted to be discussed in a conference.
This conference reflects what they told us they wanted.

We don't have how to include a new speaker/presentation now.... this is decided from the very beginning, with the budget....

But I see this subject (something like "What the translation agencies want") , would be a very good idea for a next conference.

Proz.com have sent invitations to all the translation buyers registered at the site, not only from Brazil , but from other countries in South America. I know some of them will be there, conferences are the place to talk to them, present ourselves, and we also have the Networking Dinner and the Powwow as opportunities to socialize.

Thank you José Henrique for clarify the subject about agencies! We’ll need people like you as speakers in a future conference!

See you there!
Collapse

Isabel Vidigal
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Next conference Aug 21, 2009

What we could do, Simon is AFTER THE CONFERENCE open here a topic asking people what are their suggestions for the next conference.

This would help us to define what the translators want.

But.... only after August 30!!!

All the best,

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Agencies Aug 21, 2009

Isabel Vidigal wrote:
But I see this subject (something like "What the translation agencies want") , would be a very good idea for a next conference.

Dear Isabel,

I think that the title for the next conference should be something like "How translation agencies must treat their translators." We all know what they want. The problem is that many translators don't get what they really deserve.

Best regards,

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-08-21 23:28 GMT]

Simon Foakes
Simon Foakes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agencies/freelancers Aug 26, 2009

Hi Isabel

you may or may not see this comment, being sent at so late a stage, but let's speak at the conference. I think Gabrielle's input would be very worthwhile. There is a lot of work that can be obtained through large translation agencies, especially those located outside Brazil, and as translators are always interested in attracting and retaining clients, this could be a good channel.

The reason I brought this up initially is a) my own experience as an agency with
... See more
Hi Isabel

you may or may not see this comment, being sent at so late a stage, but let's speak at the conference. I think Gabrielle's input would be very worthwhile. There is a lot of work that can be obtained through large translation agencies, especially those located outside Brazil, and as translators are always interested in attracting and retaining clients, this could be a good channel.

The reason I brought this up initially is a) my own experience as an agency with translators in Brazil and other countries and b) my contacts with some pretty big agencies abroad and their outlook on Brazil.

I look forward to the next couple of days, and if anyone is staying at or near the Tryp hotel in Higienopolis, send me an email (you can get to me through my Proz profile). Or call. I'll be there from Wednesday evening.
Collapse

Isabel Vidigal
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agencies Aug 26, 2009

Hi Simon,

Just to inform you I have just answered un email from Wania Grandesso, from Lionbridge who will be there, she is representing just one of the agencies we invited to come. But we'll have others.

I know there is a lot of work from this agencies from abroad, some of them are my clients, 99% of my clients came from ProZ... because of it I think ProZ should be more used for those who wants to find clients.... the world is there...

Well, I still have so
... See more
Hi Simon,

Just to inform you I have just answered un email from Wania Grandesso, from Lionbridge who will be there, she is representing just one of the agencies we invited to come. But we'll have others.

I know there is a lot of work from this agencies from abroad, some of them are my clients, 99% of my clients came from ProZ... because of it I think ProZ should be more used for those who wants to find clients.... the world is there...

Well, I still have some things to do for tomorrow,

See you there!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

2009 Sao Paulo Conference: General Discussion

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »