What do you think about this E-J Translation?
投稿者: Hiroshi133
Hiroshi133
Hiroshi133  Identity Verified
カナダ
Local time: 12:09
英語 から 日本語
Jun 5, 2015

Hello,

If you can quickly and briefly tell me about your opinion, much appreciated...

The following are excerpts of the translation (source top, translation bottom).

In order to develop its energy sector, the continent will need a whole range of international partners to be involved, not just China – which is of course, and will be, a significant player.
アフリカ大陸がエネルギーセクターを発展させるためには外国か�
... See more
Hello,

If you can quickly and briefly tell me about your opinion, much appreciated...

The following are excerpts of the translation (source top, translation bottom).

In order to develop its energy sector, the continent will need a whole range of international partners to be involved, not just China – which is of course, and will be, a significant player.
アフリカ大陸がエネルギーセクターを発展させるためには外国からの幅広い国際協力が必要です‐これは中国だけではありませんが中国はもちろん現在も将来も重要な参加者です。

The need for the continent to have strong and effective institutions in this sector with strong political support that can act decisively and can take a long-term view cannot be over-emphasised.
この大陸が断固として行動することができ長期的な見方ができ強い政治的な支持がある強固で効果的な機関を持つ必要はいくら強調してもし過ぎることはありません。

Billed as Africa’s premier energy event, the South African National Energy Association (SANEA) presented the 2015 Africa Energy Indaba from 17-18 February at the Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg.
アフリカ最高のエネルギーイベントという定評があるが、南アフリカ全国エネルギー協会(SANEA)は2月17-18日にヨハネスブルグのサントン・コンベンションセンター2015年アフリカエネルギーIndabaを開催した。

Featuring presentations by Dr Robert Stoner, Priyanka Bakaya, Dr Matthew L. Scullin and Jothi Periasamy — named by the World Economic Forum and The Economist, among others, as the finest innovators and entrepreneurs in the energy space — the event promises to deliver unparalleled insight into the challenges in meeting Africa’s energy demands as well as the opportunities afforded by the energy resources on the continent.
特別講演者はエネルギー分野の最高の革新者および企業家として世界経済フォーラムおよびエコノミスト誌が指名したDr Robert Stoner, Priyanka Bakaya, Dr Matthew L. Scullin および Jothi Periasamyその他の各氏で-このイベントではアフリカのエネルギー需要および同大陸のエネルギー資源が提供する機会に対応するときの課題について卓越した考察を聞けることをお約束します。

The Algerian Trade Marks Act forbids the use of a trade mark for goods or services in Algeria unless it is registered or an application for registration has been filed. Placing a trade mark on goods or services in contravention of this provision of the Act can lead to imprisonment for not less than one month and not more than a year and a fine of not less than US$6 500 and not more than US$27 000. Although we are advised that these provisions are not known to be enforced vigorously in practice, such conduct, nonetheless, remains a serious risk.It is understood that a third party (such as a competitor) does have locus standi to bring an action in terms of these statutory provisions.
アルジェリアの商標法は、商標が登録されている、または登録出願が提出されている場合を除き、アルジェリアでの商品またはサービスの商標の使用を禁じています。商標法のこの条項に違反する商品やサービスへの商標の使用は、1か月以上、1年以内の禁固、および$6500ドル以上、$2万7000ドル以下の罰金につながる可能性があります。これらの条項は、実際には、盛んに施行されているということが知られていないと助言されていますが、そのような実施は、それでもなお、重大なリスクが残っています。第三者(競合他社など)には、これらの法律の条項に関して訴訟を起こす提訴権があるということが理解されています。

[Edited at 2015-06-05 08:20 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
日本
Local time: 04:09
日本語 から 英語
Pretty good...but it "sounds" like a translation because it's too literal in places Jun 5, 2015

Hi Hiroshi,

The translation snippets you provided are technically good for the most part, but they're a little too much of a literal translation.

For example, "the event promises to deliver..." is translated as "このイベントでは~を聞けることをお約束します", but I think "約束" is a little too literal and slightly unnatural. I probably would use "このイベントでは~を聞けることを期待できます" because it captures the nuance of
... See more
Hi Hiroshi,

The translation snippets you provided are technically good for the most part, but they're a little too much of a literal translation.

For example, "the event promises to deliver..." is translated as "このイベントでは~を聞けることをお約束します", but I think "約束" is a little too literal and slightly unnatural. I probably would use "このイベントでは~を聞けることを期待できます" because it captures the nuance of "promises to" (i.e. something you can expect or count on, as used here). I don't often hear "約束する" used in reference to anything other than a person in Japanese. Although that it IS used(obviously) that way in English.

And for the "提供する" in "同大陸のエネルギー資源が提供する機会", I think "与える" sounds more natural ("同大陸のエネルギー資源が与える機会").

The above are just cherry-picked from the translation, but I hope you get the idea.

Those are just my 2 cents, so take them with a grain of salt!
Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about this E-J Translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »