Eva Plajh
Eva Plajh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 10:39
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2011

Hi,

I have to complete a form for a client where I have to state my rates for QC. As I have never done the QC, I have no idea how much to charge - more or less than for editing?
Any advice would be really helpful.

Dalia Nour

Rebelo Júnior
Rebelo Júnior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
QC equals to proofreading plus reviewing doc alignment Jun 17, 2011

Eva, for QC is just another way to say do the proofreading (and editing if necessary) plus adjust document format (if you’re not using a Cat tool), so I would charge same as the usual rate for proofreading. Hope it helps.

Luigi Carletti

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More than for proofreading Jun 18, 2011

Hi Eva,

I'd suggest you ask the client what exactly they mean with "Quality check" since each client might understand this differently (as you know, the same applies to the term "proofreading" which some agencies use when referring to editing tasks). This is not a dumb question, but the client's reply will help you with setting your rate.

I often do "OQA" (online quality assurance), which takes double the time than plain proofreading since you have to take screenshots,
... See more
Hi Eva,

I'd suggest you ask the client what exactly they mean with "Quality check" since each client might understand this differently (as you know, the same applies to the term "proofreading" which some agencies use when referring to editing tasks). This is not a dumb question, but the client's reply will help you with setting your rate.

I often do "OQA" (online quality assurance), which takes double the time than plain proofreading since you have to take screenshots, test all website functions or play all levels of a game or check against the source website/text.

Quality check sounds like either editing a translation or reviewing a colleague's translation and grading his/her work (i. e. spelling, grammar, style, translation mistakes, omissions, terminology etc.).

Michaela
Collapse

Eveline Gomes
pootanin

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Just state your hourly rate Jun 18, 2011

I don't think it makes sense to express the rates for proofreading or quality checking on a per-word basis - you can only do it when you know how good or bad a particular translator is, otherwise your effort is too unpredictable. Personally, I consider a translation good when proofreading takes 1/4 of the time needed to translate this text from scratch, excellent - when it takes 1/10 of that. However, I've seen translations so bad that it would take longer to fix them than to throw them away and... See more
I don't think it makes sense to express the rates for proofreading or quality checking on a per-word basis - you can only do it when you know how good or bad a particular translator is, otherwise your effort is too unpredictable. Personally, I consider a translation good when proofreading takes 1/4 of the time needed to translate this text from scratch, excellent - when it takes 1/10 of that. However, I've seen translations so bad that it would take longer to fix them than to throw them away and do again. Go figure.

Also, I think that a linguist is entitled to earn roughly the same amount per hour regardless of the type of work, whether it's translation, proofreading, reviewing, quality check, or anything else, so the hourly rate can be figured out from your word rate and your average hourly throughput as a translator.
Collapse

pootanin
Dalia Nour
Hala Gamal

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sound advice from Michaela Jun 19, 2011

Michaela Müller wrote:

I'd suggest you ask the client what exactly they mean with "Quality check" since each client might understand this differently...

Michaela

It can mean a lot of things - from just assessing whether a text reads OK to completely rewriting a botched "translation".

Ask your client what they need exactly.

Anton wrote:

However, I've seen translations so bad that it would take longer to fix them than to throw them away and do again.

Indeed, they're rampant. A tough task sometimes is to explain this politely and nicely to clients.

Dalia Nour

Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:09
English to Bengali
+ ...
hourly rate is the best option Jun 19, 2011

I agree with Anton. In my experience, correcting a very badly done translation may take as much time as freshly translating it. Once I agreed to a flat rate for a translation. But on my surprise found the tranasltion worst of its quality. Even some of the lines were left untranslated. I asked my client to give a rate similar to freshly translating it and he agreed.

For every practical purpose, rates of proofreading, editing, reviewing and QC however be it termed, could be addressed
... See more
I agree with Anton. In my experience, correcting a very badly done translation may take as much time as freshly translating it. Once I agreed to a flat rate for a translation. But on my surprise found the tranasltion worst of its quality. Even some of the lines were left untranslated. I asked my client to give a rate similar to freshly translating it and he agreed.

For every practical purpose, rates of proofreading, editing, reviewing and QC however be it termed, could be addressed best if charged on hourly basis.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Hala Gamal

Eva Plajh
Eva Plajh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 19, 2011

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've alredy asked the client what exactly he means with QC and I am waiting for the answer.
I always charge proofreading and editing on hourly basis - for all the reasons you've mentioned. You never know what you will get.

DERIS MEH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for quality check

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »