How do I keep hyperlinks when converting a DOC into PDF?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 19:49
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 6, 2010

Hello all,

I am trying to convert a Word file into a PDF, but hyperlinks just disappear (see attached). Does anyone know how to fix that? I obviously don't want to edit the PDF everytime I add or change something to the file.

Thanks in advance!

Alain

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not in pdf Nov 6, 2010

I never have seen a pdf with active hyperlinks. You could convert into html or leave it in Word. Why do you want it in pdf, this format is not intended for updating the content.
Regards
Heinrich

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:49
French to German
+ ...
Some help here?... Nov 6, 2010

http://ask.metafilter.com/161485/Keeping-hyperlinks-when-saving-Word-docs-as-PDF

When I convert a document containing hyperlinks from the ODT or DOC file format to PDF, those were always kept active in the PDF as per today. This may have something to do with the related settings of the word processor in question... or of the programme used to
... See more
http://ask.metafilter.com/161485/Keeping-hyperlinks-when-saving-Word-docs-as-PDF

When I convert a document containing hyperlinks from the ODT or DOC file format to PDF, those were always kept active in the PDF as per today. This may have something to do with the related settings of the word processor in question... or of the programme used to read the PDF for that matter.

Out of curiosity, I just tried to click on an URL contained in a PDF I am currently translating, even if the hyperllnk doesn't seem to be active... Guess what? It works.

ETA: this also applies to Pages.

[Edited at 2010-11-06 07:58 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why, certainly! Nov 6, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I never have seen a pdf with active hyperlinks. You could convert into html or leave it in Word. Why do you want it in pdf, this format is not intended for updating the content.
Regards
Heinrich

Look at my CV on my profile page. It's a Word file converted into PDF. You can click on any of the email addresses and your email window will open automatically.

Thanks for reminding me, I have to upload the newer version, without the hyperlinks.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
This is easy Nov 7, 2010

Please see example here:

http://www.ahmadwadan.com/ahmad-wadan-cv.pdf

My version of Adobe Acrobat has a "Link Tool" located in menu bar where I can create links easily.

Please check your Adobe Acrobat version.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I keep hyperlinks when converting a DOC into PDF?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »