Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
whole sentence Aug 29, 2010

The notice will be in writing and shall be effective upon receipt.

El aviso será por escrito y tendrá efecto desde su recepción.

Oleksandr Myslivets
Oleksandr Myslivets  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
My two cents Aug 29, 2010

Dear Alex Lago!
I had a similar situation and I solved it as follows:
I wrote the email to the customer in which I stated that the reviewer is not proficient enough from my point of view. I made a table in which there were the following columns: the original text, my translation, reviewer editions, my comments and the blank column for the response or any other comments. My client was forced to spend more time and resources to analyze this, but eventually the truth was found! And this
... See more
Dear Alex Lago!
I wrote the email to the customer in which I stated that the reviewer is not proficient enough from my point of view. I made a table in which there were the following columns: the original text, my translation, reviewer editions, my comments and the blank column for the response or any other comments. My client was forced to spend more time and resources to analyze this, but eventually the truth was found! And this is important! Anyway You have to struggle for Your truth!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:50
English to Thai
+ ...
Reviewer does too good job Aug 30, 2010

Oleksandr Myslivets wrote:

Dear Alex Lago!
I wrote the email to the customer in which I stated that the reviewer is not proficient enough from my point of view. I made a table in which there were the following columns: the original text, my translation, reviewer editions, my comments and the blank column for the response or any other comments. My client was forced to spend more time and resources to analyze this, but eventually the truth was found! And this is important! Anyway You have to struggle for Your truth!

In another situation, the reviewer edited my questionnaire translation entirely. He/she can understand the contexts fully but also intended to show the job performance extensively. For example, question mark is not usually used in the target language but I leave it in my job to stress the original nuance. This and many other points to review only show that he/she is working diligently (to be admired by client), but not much productively: I need to restore the entire translation.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
"as from" and "upon" Aug 30, 2010

"as from" would be desde and "upon" would be en el momento de. There is a nuance and it would be better to translate exactly what is there. Never mind though, put it down to experience.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:50
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
happened to me last year Jan 23, 2011

I translated an article for a magazine to appear online. I did a pretty good job but it took months for the article to appear. WHen it did, it was full of mistakes that I hadn't made! The editor, whose first language is not english, must have done it and I couldn't understand why he didn't just sent it back to me for review. I sent him an email but never got any response. In the meantime, there's this article with mistakes that I didn't make. The good thing is I don't get any credit so no one kn... See more
I translated an article for a magazine to appear online. I did a pretty good job but it took months for the article to appear. WHen it did, it was full of mistakes that I hadn't made! The editor, whose first language is not english, must have done it and I couldn't understand why he didn't just sent it back to me for review. I sent him an email but never got any response. In the meantime, there's this article with mistakes that I didn't make. The good thing is I don't get any credit so no one knows it was me. Needless to say, I am never working for this guy again.Collapse

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
There might be other places to look Jan 24, 2011

Hi Alex,

First of all I think a lot of correctors 'correct' even good translation so that they look as if they've earned their money. Often these corrections are nitpickings.

As for what's right and wrong (an academic question, especially in Spain where there IS an academy), why don't you see if the European Commission - Directorate General for Translation has a style guide for Spanish translators (I use the English one). It's true that an amount of what's contained in
... See more
Hi Alex,

First of all I think a lot of correctors 'correct' even good translation so that they look as if they've earned their money. Often these corrections are nitpickings.

As for what's right and wrong (an academic question, especially in Spain where there IS an academy), why don't you see if the European Commission - Directorate General for Translation has a style guide for Spanish translators (I use the English one). It's true that an amount of what's contained in these guides is for EU official translations, but on grammar and usage they're excellent, idiomatic and quite up-to-date, and it's a good back-up if you need support for your choice of words: "Well, we ARE in the EU, after all!"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad reviewer messes up my translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »