صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]
Volume discounts: yes or no?
ناشر الموضوع: Sandra van Bijsterveld (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
بولندا
Local time: 07:02
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
+ ...
yeah Aug 5, 2010

I've seen a lot of nonsense in this topic.

Ten projects 1000 words each are nearly always more work than one project of 10,000 words.

You get to send more e-mails.

You get to use more glossaries.

You often get to scan through more style guides to find out what kind of dashes they want, – or —, and how they want their numbers.

Arguments based on the alleged longer working hours during a big project are completely absurd, just li
... See more
I've seen a lot of nonsense in this topic.

Ten projects 1000 words each are nearly always more work than one project of 10,000 words.

You get to send more e-mails.

You get to use more glossaries.

You often get to scan through more style guides to find out what kind of dashes they want, – or —, and how they want their numbers.

Arguments based on the alleged longer working hours during a big project are completely absurd, just like comparisons to retail sales.

And for those who can't do without comparisons, I guarantee you that if you have an accountant run your paperwork, you will not pay 100 times as much for 1000 documents/month as you would pay for 10 documents/month.

[Edited at 2010-08-05 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
ألماني إلى إسباني
+ ...
Volume discounts: yes or no? Aug 5, 2010

Sandra van Bijsterveld wrote:

Dear colleagues,

One of my clients is asking me if I am prepared to offer volume discounts. They are asking me to give seperate rates (per word) for different volumes, e.g. 1-1000 words, 1000-10000 words etc.

Programs for computer aided translation are not mentioned in the request.

I would be interested to kow you opinion. Is it reasonable to ask/give a discount with bigger volumes, even though a job of 10.000 words might cost me as much time as 5 jobs of 2000 words?

Thanks in advance,

Sandra van Bijsterveld

The Netherlands

What offers your client to you as counterpart? If it's just more work for less money, honestly it seems a nonsense to me. I would ask him directly if he has any valid reason you to work more for less...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 01:02
عضو (2008)
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Maybe 10% at most Aug 5, 2010

The fact is that a translator can generally translate XXX words per day, more or less whether its an ongoing long project or several small projects. I will sometimes agree to a reduction of at most maybe 10% for a large project, since there is some small savings in reduced accounting and less terminology research. But the actual job of translating doesn't change, in terms of number of words translated per hour/day/week/month.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
بولندا
عضو (2004)
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
مترجم الموقع
Revival Aug 5, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

One of my clients is asking me if I am prepared to offer volume discounts.

What offers your client to you as counterpart? If it's just more work for less money, honestly it seems a nonsense to me. I would ask him directly if he has any valid reason you to work more for less...

Considering that the original post was made in 2002 (!), the offer described might not longer be valid...

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
ألماني إلى إسباني
+ ...
Volume discounts: yes or no? Aug 5, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

One of my clients is asking me if I am prepared to offer volume discounts.

Considering that the original post was made in 2002 (!), the offer described might not longer be valid...

Ooops, you are right! ProZ Forums never die...

Great Food For Thought Aug 5, 2010

I just signed up to ask a similiar question and I really appreciate all the experienced people giving their views. My client has a 70,000 word job that needs to be translated from English to Spanish. I am located in North Carolina. They initially hired someone in Mexico to do the translation so am wondering if they received a discount due to that. Anyway, they also want to hire someone to review the translation. My question is what the standard charge would be for 70,000 words (the fee I've... See more
I just signed up to ask a similiar question and I really appreciate all the experienced people giving their views. My client has a 70,000 word job that needs to be translated from English to Spanish. I am located in North Carolina. They initially hired someone in Mexico to do the translation so am wondering if they received a discount due to that. Anyway, they also want to hire someone to review the translation. My question is what the standard charge would be for 70,000 words (the fee I've always used is fifteen to twenty five cents a word) and what would the standard charge for reviewing this translation? thanks so much for your advice although perhaps I should post this as a separate question since it is a little off topic. BlaireCollapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volume discounts: yes or no?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »