Client's memoQ doesn't recognise my exports
Thread poster: Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:45
Dutch to English
Jan 26, 2022

I have only recently started using MemoQ (I'm still on a trial version, 9.9) partly because I thought it would be helpful for a client who also uses it. Previously I was using Wordfast Classic.

The problem, as they describe it, is that when I send them my .mqxlz file, their MemoQ doesn't recognise it as an export but treats it as a "new" file and creates a new project. (I'm not there to see exactly what's going on, but that's basically what I've been told.) They can deal with it, bu
... See more
I have only recently started using MemoQ (I'm still on a trial version, 9.9) partly because I thought it would be helpful for a client who also uses it. Previously I was using Wordfast Classic.

The problem, as they describe it, is that when I send them my .mqxlz file, their MemoQ doesn't recognise it as an export but treats it as a "new" file and creates a new project. (I'm not there to see exactly what's going on, but that's basically what I've been told.) They can deal with it, but it's a hassle and we want to fix it.

We have already established that the language pairs are correct on both sides.

The process so far is that they send me their .mqxlz file and I import it and then when I've finished my translation, I go to Export and I choose "export bilingual" which creates the exported .mqxlz file and that's what I email to them. Does anyone know what the problem might be and if there's a setting I need to change?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try an Export (choose path)? Jan 26, 2022

Yes, I think this is an area in which Kilgray could improve as it is a source of confusion.

If the client send you an XLIFF file (*.mqxlz), have you tried to use the "Export (choose path)" option instead? I think it should yield a *.mqxlz file as well, and this should be the one the client needs. Can you give it a try? If it produces a *.mqxlz, you could submit this one to the client so that they try again.

If you do an "Export bilingual", I think you are encapsulating
... See more
Yes, I think this is an area in which Kilgray could improve as it is a source of confusion.

If the client send you an XLIFF file (*.mqxlz), have you tried to use the "Export (choose path)" option instead? I think it should yield a *.mqxlz file as well, and this should be the one the client needs. Can you give it a try? If it produces a *.mqxlz, you could submit this one to the client so that they try again.

If you do an "Export bilingual", I think you are encapsulating their bilingual file inside a new bilingual file you are creating...
Collapse

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
But does that create the right file type? Jan 26, 2022

Thanks for that quick reply! Actually, the client suggested I use ‘Export to stored path’ instead of 'export dialog', which confused me a bit because 'export dialog' isn't even there as an option.

But when I use "export (choose path)" or "export (stored path)" I end up with a .docx file in my folder. It has the ending eng-GB.docx. I want to create a .mqxlz file don't I?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could be a matter of memoQ version Jan 26, 2022

Caspar van Vark wrote:
Thanks for that quick reply! Actually, the client suggested I use ‘Export to stored path’ instead of 'export dialog', which confused me a bit because 'export dialog' isn't even there as an option.

Yes, that "Export (dialog)" is what "Export (choose path)" was called in earlier versions of memoQ. Can you ask the client what their version of memoQ is, install that, and try to do this process with their exact same version of memoQ?

We have this freelancer who occasionally does work for my office and we send her *.mqxlz files which she processes with Trados Studio. When we import back the file, it works well.

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
xliff worked Jan 27, 2022

Some success: today the client sent me a memoQ export to translate, which was an xliff file (rather than .mqxlz). When I came to export the translated file, my only option was "export bilingual" - for some reason, now the "(stored path)" and "(choose path)" options were greyed out.

I then exported two versions from "export bilingual": a memoQ xliff and a plain xliff. These appeared in my folder as .mqxlz and .mqxliff. I sent them both and my client was able to import the latter wit
... See more
Some success: today the client sent me a memoQ export to translate, which was an xliff file (rather than .mqxlz). When I came to export the translated file, my only option was "export bilingual" - for some reason, now the "(stored path)" and "(choose path)" options were greyed out.

I then exported two versions from "export bilingual": a memoQ xliff and a plain xliff. These appeared in my folder as .mqxlz and .mqxliff. I sent them both and my client was able to import the latter without problems.

I still don't really know what's going on, but at least something worked.
Collapse

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still having problems Feb 2, 2022

Still can't get it to work so I've contacted memoQ support.

One person at the client - who is running 9.10 - was able to import my plain mqxliff last week. The others who, like me, are on 9.9, cannot.

I also still find the export options confusing - in particular why export (choose path) and (stored path) only yield .docx files, not .mqxlz. Those docx files look like they're just finished translations in the target language so that's not what the client needs.
... See more
Still can't get it to work so I've contacted memoQ support.

One person at the client - who is running 9.10 - was able to import my plain mqxliff last week. The others who, like me, are on 9.9, cannot.

I also still find the export options confusing - in particular why export (choose path) and (stored path) only yield .docx files, not .mqxlz. Those docx files look like they're just finished translations in the target language so that's not what the client needs.

And then I also don't know how much difference it makes what format I receive their files in - sometimes it's Word, or .mqxlz, or .mqliff. The one time it seemed to work, I received .mqxliff and returned .mqxliff to the person running 9.10.

[Edited at 2022-02-02 11:30 GMT]
Collapse

Caitlin Job
Caitlin Job  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Same problem - did you find a solution? Apr 25, 2022

I'm facing the same problem. Before I contact memoq support, did they find a solution?

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 25, 2022

Unfortunately not. They weren’t able to find a solution and weren’t really interested in persevering either.

Caitlin Job
Caitlin Job  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Apr 25, 2022

Thanks for letting me know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client's memoQ doesn't recognise my exports

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »