Broken translation memories showing extreme high % matches for unrelated text?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2021

I've got a client who recognizes the issue and even pays out without match discounts, but perseveres in trying to populate a messed-up translation memory. This thing shows 90+% matches between grammatically incorrect vernacular where a mental patient is talking about his issues and pieces of bureaucratic cover letter templates for applications for permits.

There's literally not a word in common. Some aren't even remotely close in length.

Any idea how this is happening?

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
Serbian to English
+ ...
Maybe ... Dec 8, 2021

Adieu wrote:

I've got a client who recognizes the issue and even pays out without match discounts, but perseveres in trying to populate a messed-up translation memory. This thing shows 90+% matches between grammatically incorrect vernacular where a mental patient is talking about his issues and pieces of bureaucratic cover letter templates for applications for permits.

There's literally not a word in common. Some aren't even remotely close in length.

Maybe that proves the bureaucratic jargon makes about as much sense as the verbal effusion of mental patients?

Or the software was tweaked a bit too much in favour of agencies, in an effort to beat the competition?

One of these explanations ought to make sense...

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:14
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Tags, maybe? Dec 8, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Are there many tags? Not sure, but I think memoQ's algorithms also consider similar tags. Just a wild guess.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Dec 8, 2021

No tags.

Tags are a separate type of cancer.

Grigori Gazarian wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Are there many tags? Not sure, but I think memoQ's algorithms also consider similar tags. Just a wild guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broken translation memories showing extreme high % matches for unrelated text?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »