Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I have been using Trados 2021 with a 1 year subscription with no problem and I am confortable with this tool.

However, I have seen that one of my clients, which uses a platform where they post their jobs and terms, sometimes posts a job that requires MemoQ to be done. Just a while ago, I have seen that the client provides with credentials for MemoQ.

Until now, when I see MemoQ, I simply ignore those jobs but, my question is, regarding the e
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been using Trados 2021 with a 1 year subscription with no problem and I am confortable with this tool.

However, I have seen that one of my clients, which uses a platform where they post their jobs and terms, sometimes posts a job that requires MemoQ to be done. Just a while ago, I have seen that the client provides with credentials for MemoQ.

Until now, when I see MemoQ, I simply ignore those jobs but, my question is, regarding the expensive price of MemoQ, is it possible to use MemoQ without purchasing a license? I mean, just like other jobs I have done in XTM Cloud, the client provides your with a temporary license and credentials and your work on a web-based tool?

Sorry for this question but I have no idea how MemoQ works and maybe I could use the trial period of MemoQ to learn to use the tool and take some of those jobs later.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Licence Nov 18, 2021

Some outsourcers provide you with a server licence so you can use the full desktop software for their projects. Others give you access to a web UI. You don't need your own licence for that.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
expressisverbis

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your client can eventually lend you a license Nov 18, 2021

If you do not use memoQ a lot, yes, indeed your client can eventually lend you a license for the duration of your job for them. They however need to have a pool of available licenses, which their PMs manage and assign as needed.

Most agencies prefer not keep a pool of licenses (it costs them money), and prefer that you own your own license. If your client is interesting enough, I encourage you to invest in your own memoQ license, which you can also use with other clients in the midd
... See more
If you do not use memoQ a lot, yes, indeed your client can eventually lend you a license for the duration of your job for them. They however need to have a pool of available licenses, which their PMs manage and assign as needed.

Most agencies prefer not keep a pool of licenses (it costs them money), and prefer that you own your own license. If your client is interesting enough, I encourage you to invest in your own memoQ license, which you can also use with other clients in the middle run. Before purchasing a license, I would try to learn to use memoQ, so that you can put your investment to use immediately.

Please also notice that Kilgray will charge you 20% of the list price of memoQ every year after the first year in as a fee for support and updates. I have used memoQ for 12 years now and it pays itself very quickly when you have a stable flow of work you can do with memoQ and as long as you learn to exploit the tool.

Good luck with it!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Stepan Konev
Ryan Shevlane
Yaotl Altan
expressisverbis

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ Nov 18, 2021

Dear Thomas and Tomás,

Thank you so much for the information. I am a freelance translator since March, 2021, so I don't have a big pool of clients yet. That one is the only one who sometimes publishes jobs to be done on MemoQ.

Although I have realized that in the localization industry, MemoQ seems more popular than Trados, I haven't got a single localization project yet (maybe because I don't use MemoQ). I have studies on IT apart from Translation and Interpreting and
... See more
Dear Thomas and Tomás,

Thank you so much for the information. I am a freelance translator since March, 2021, so I don't have a big pool of clients yet. That one is the only one who sometimes publishes jobs to be done on MemoQ.

Although I have realized that in the localization industry, MemoQ seems more popular than Trados, I haven't got a single localization project yet (maybe because I don't use MemoQ). I have studies on IT apart from Translation and Interpreting and specific education on software, mobile apps and video games localization but there has not been luck yet.

Thank you so much again and I will give a try to MemoQ and decide which to use in the future.

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
Russian to English
+ ...
License not required Nov 18, 2021

Unless memoQ has changed its policy recently, you can download it and continue using it after a trial period with some restrictions. Most notably, you can’t reuse TMs. You need to create a new TM for each project. Check their website for details.

expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 22, 2021

I've done a few million words of MemoQ projects on CAL licenses without ever purchasing my own copy.

This is from an expired install of a demo version, not some half-baked web app btw.

[Edited at 2021-11-22 20:51 GMT]

expressisverbis

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Why buying memoQ..... Nov 23, 2021

..... when you already have Trados?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Studio is compatible for memoQ files.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why buying MemoQ Nov 23, 2021

Dear Mr. Rietvelt,

I don't intend to purchase a MemoQ license just because I have got a Trados license. I only wanted to know if it's possible for a company to lend the translator a temporary license for MemoQ or the translator has to purchase a license.

I was letting go by several projects from a client on MemoQ and I may have been able to do some of them if a temporary license was provided.

According to open MemoQ files on Trados, as far as I know regard
... See more
Dear Mr. Rietvelt,

I don't intend to purchase a MemoQ license just because I have got a Trados license. I only wanted to know if it's possible for a company to lend the translator a temporary license for MemoQ or the translator has to purchase a license.

I was letting go by several projects from a client on MemoQ and I may have been able to do some of them if a temporary license was provided.

According to open MemoQ files on Trados, as far as I know regarding a question I posted in Proz some time ago, the MemoQ project has to be prepared by the outsourcer for you to open it in Trados. It's that easy as downloading the files and opening them. After the translation process, another procedure is needed for the client to be able to open the return package in MemoQ (if it's possible).

I'm not sure about how the compatibility works, I have never done it but they are compatible till some extent.

Greetings,
Jorge
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Yeah Nov 27, 2021

It is highly unlikely that anyone will bother to repackage stuff and manually upload it for you unless it is a HUGE project, you are very cheap, *and* they really-really love you.

The nice thing about MemoQ server projects is it tracks and delivers your work within the program. No packaging, file sending or receiving involved for you.

Just download their demo and enter your customer's server's CAL license info to borrow temp licenses whenever you need them. It is indeed
... See more
It is highly unlikely that anyone will bother to repackage stuff and manually upload it for you unless it is a HUGE project, you are very cheap, *and* they really-really love you.

The nice thing about MemoQ server projects is it tracks and delivers your work within the program. No packaging, file sending or receiving involved for you.

Just download their demo and enter your customer's server's CAL license info to borrow temp licenses whenever you need them. It is indeed possible if they purchased that option from MemoQ.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Temporary license for MemoQ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »