Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
memoQ set-up with SSD (solid state drive)
Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:08
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workflow Jan 14, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Given that I work by creating a new, project-specific TM for each memoQ project, I could even experiment, and see if there is a noticeable difference in speed between TM on SSD and TM on HDD.

You probably won't notice a difference with small TMs that only contain a couple hundred or a couple thousand segments....(etc.)

With the info I gave, the assumption that the project-specific TMs might be relatively small was a fair one to make. However, it is not in fact the case, as I have a couple of general TMs I usually include during the project creation phase in case they contain anything useful, and these alone are over 100,000 segments altogether. "Project-specific" (and therefore fairly short-lived) TMs approaching a quarter of a million segments can be expected in the near future.

I don't know if the addition of this information makes a difference to the advice about storing TMs on the SSD, given that TMs of this size might be created and deleted once or twice a week. Unless I change my workflow, of course...
(I'm starting to feel I probably should have mentioned TM size before...)

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
yes Jan 14, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

With the info I gave, the assumption that the project-specific TMs might be relatively small was a fair one to make. However, it is not in fact the case, as I have a couple of general TMs I usually include during the project creation phase in case they contain anything useful, and these alone are over 100,000 segments altogether. "Project-specific" (and therefore fairly short-lived) TMs approaching a quarter of a million segments can be expected in the near future.

I don't know if the addition of this information makes a difference to the advice about storing TMs on the SSD, given that TMs of this size might be created and deleted once or twice a week. Unless I change my workflow, of course...
(I'm starting to feel I probably should have mentioned TM size before...)

I gave a bipartite answer to accommodate that uncertainty:) With 100,000+ segments the speed difference is probably noticeable, especially when importing those 100,000 segs, analysing/pretranslating large documents and searching the TM for the first time in a session. Possibly on every successive search as well. The bottom line is, you want those TMs on the SSD. Weekly creation/deletion doesn't factor into it. Just leave at least a couple GB free on the drive and use it as normal.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ set-up with SSD (solid state drive)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »