Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Local time: 01:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 7, 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm almost sure someone will be able to help me with this:
I have translated a text, now the client sends me back the text with corrections. I want to import his TM so that I have his changes in my MemoQ, but I don't want it to replace my units (the corrections are quite stupid, so I also want to keep my version).

In summary, I want to have both versions, and I want the client's TM to have another User ID, so that I can recognize which units are m
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm almost sure someone will be able to help me with this:
I have translated a text, now the client sends me back the text with corrections. I want to import his TM so that I have his changes in my MemoQ, but I don't want it to replace my units (the corrections are quite stupid, so I also want to keep my version).

In summary, I want to have both versions, and I want the client's TM to have another User ID, so that I can recognize which units are mine and which ones are not, next time I have to translate a similar text.

Any briliant idea?

Thanks a lot

JC
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep a separate memory Feb 7, 2012

Personally I would keep a memory for that customer in particular, so that you can keep his/her exact preferences as in the edits. That way, if they send you more work you can use that special memory and be sure that they will not be dissapointed to see that you did not implement their comments after all.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anything like Trados? Feb 16, 2012

Thank you Tomás

But it's a bit annoying to have two TMs for the same project, don't you think? The units are not that different, I just want to know next time which ones are mine and which ones are not. In Trados you can have double entries (and three, four, five...) for the same source unit. It's not that I like having doubles at all, but sometimes it can be useful. I wonderes if there was any setting to do this.

What happens if I import into MQ a tmx from Trados and
... See more
Thank you Tomás

But it's a bit annoying to have two TMs for the same project, don't you think? The units are not that different, I just want to know next time which ones are mine and which ones are not. In Trados you can have double entries (and three, four, five...) for the same source unit. It's not that I like having doubles at all, but sometimes it can be useful. I wonderes if there was any setting to do this.

What happens if I import into MQ a tmx from Trados and the User ID is different that the one I have in MQ? Are these units imported with that name or they "adopt" my MQ user ID?

Thanks for your help

JC
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They keep their ID Feb 16, 2012

Juancar wrote:
What happens if I import into MQ a tmx from Trados and the User ID is different that the one I have in MQ? Are these units imported with that name or they "adopt" my MQ user ID?

The segments you import from a TMX file keep their creator's ID.

Personally I think that keeping several possible translations of one single source segment in the same memory can lead to confusion and serious trouble with a customer in the long run, especially when you want to deliver something in a rush. I think separate memories are far safer, but you can of course arrange your stuff the way you like!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a TM without changing my units

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »