Thread poster: Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Nov 10, 2010

Hello!

I would like to get your feedback on something.

My workflow for Projects - Translator in Trados is the following:

1. Analyse the file to be translated with a BIG TM for domain, let's say Finance.

2. Upon analysis I create a project TM and translate the file.

3. File is proofread and then the final file is cleaned to the BIG TM.

What would be the best way to go around with this in MemoQ?

I have set u
... See more
Hello!

I would like to get your feedback on something.

My workflow for Projects - Translator in Trados is the following:

1. Analyse the file to be translated with a BIG TM for domain, let's say Finance.

2. Upon analysis I create a project TM and translate the file.

3. File is proofread and then the final file is cleaned to the BIG TM.

What would be the best way to go around with this in MemoQ?

I have set up a BIG TM on the mQ Server. I would like to create a new project, create a project TM and publish it online for the translator. After translation, I would update the master TM for Finance.

Any tips how you handle this?

Kind regards,
Sebastijan
Collapse

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 16:34
as you describe tbh :) Nov 10, 2010

from what you say you would do with trados - it sounds v similar to the workflow in memoQ

if you create a new project - add the master TM to the project but add the new TM as primary - all material will be saved to this one and once it is complete - you would have nominated yourself as proofreader maybe? you would then check it all - then change the primary TM to your master TM and confirm all segments to that.

The newly created TM can then be removed or emptied, ready
... See more
from what you say you would do with trados - it sounds v similar to the workflow in memoQ

if you create a new project - add the master TM to the project but add the new TM as primary - all material will be saved to this one and once it is complete - you would have nominated yourself as proofreader maybe? you would then check it all - then change the primary TM to your master TM and confirm all segments to that.

The newly created TM can then be removed or emptied, ready to starty again

HTH
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trying to understand your motives Nov 10, 2010

Let me ask you this to better understand your motives:

- So you do plan to have the translator working online with your memoQ server, for instance via Internet?

- Is your main motive to prevent access of the translator to the full TM?

Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This could work Nov 11, 2010

Hello!

This scenario could work although it seems a bit labour-intensive for a PM.

I would wish that when you create a project, you select a master TM, MemoQ would automatically create a project tm from one or more master TMs, after the translation the master TMs would be updated with the segments from the project.

I am surprised that this is not available because to me it seems a logical ste
... See more
Hello!

This scenario could work although it seems a bit labour-intensive for a PM.

I would wish that when you create a project, you select a master TM, MemoQ would automatically create a project tm from one or more master TMs, after the translation the master TMs would be updated with the segments from the project.

I am surprised that this is not available because to me it seems a logical step.

I mean, do LSPs allow translators to feed and update the master TMs on a project to project basis??

Tomás: we have mqserver and translators work on online projects. We also have several master TMs (language combination, domain etc.) which we update with final version of documents.

Kind regards,
Sebastijan
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe too "Tradosised"? Nov 11, 2010

I see Sebastijan. Hm... I wonder whether you feel this is a logical step because that is what you always did with Trados and expect MemoQ to offer the same possibility. As a user of Trados for over a decade, I have been in these situations often since we switched to MemoQ.

To me, with MemoQ Server you should be working directly in the main TM (as well as other possibly related memories you could add as secondary memories). In MemoQ, there will be very little difference in performanc
... See more
I see Sebastijan. Hm... I wonder whether you feel this is a logical step because that is what you always did with Trados and expect MemoQ to offer the same possibility. As a user of Trados for over a decade, I have been in these situations often since we switched to MemoQ.

To me, with MemoQ Server you should be working directly in the main TM (as well as other possibly related memories you could add as secondary memories). In MemoQ, there will be very little difference in performance between using a new, custom TM and the main one, so performance while translating is not relevant here.

Now, one thing you could worry about is the fact that if someone is adding unreviewed segments to the main TM, other translators working on similar files could be using those unreviewed segments as 100% matches, and they could be left unreviewed...

A solution for this is to apply a high penalty (90% for instance) in the project for the translator, so that other translators don't get to use the unreviewed segments. If you have a two-reviewer process, the first reviewer should have the penalty too. The proofreader will not have the penalty, so the segments will be totally reusable as they get proofread (the last user to confirm the segment, normally the proofreader, gets recorded as the creator of the segment, replacing the translator and reviewer with penalties).

By using penalties, you can save yourself the whole work of creating a separate memory, dumping it to the main memory, etc. etc.

(One word of caution as of November 11th 2010: We have detected a problem with the penalties in 4.5.23; Kilgray were informed and can reproduce the problem --namely, that the penalty applied to one team member gets applied to all users in the project--; we expect a quick solution).

[Edited at 2010-11-11 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 11, 2010

Hello!

Can you tell me where to apply penalties for a project? I have found only the TM settings?

Kind regards,
Seabstijan

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy Nov 11, 2010

Sebastijan Pilko wrote:
Can you tell me where to apply penalties for a project? I have found only the TM settings?

Of course. Easy enough. Do the following:
1. Go to the Resource console. Make sure your server is selected in "Server URL"

2. In the icons on the left, choose the one for "TM Settings."

A quick explanation: You can define different settings for different projects or memories. If you have never done this, you should see a "Default" definition which is the default one installed by MemoQ. This "Default" cannot be edited, so you basically create your own set of settings, which you can tune adequately. Here, I would create an entry for this project in particular.

3. Choose "Create new". For "Name", write a name that will be easy to identify with the type of job at hand, for instance "Customer XXX-With penalties for UserXX, UserYY, UserZZ". If you wish, add a description. Make sure to choose the "Remote" location so that this goes to the server and can be seen by other PMs from now on.

You should now see your entry in the list of TM Settings.

4. Choose your settings entry and click "Edit" in the links at the bottom of the pane. You should see a dialog box called "Edit TM Settings". Here you can see thresholds for matches with the memories and, most importantly, the "User penalties" list.

5. Click Add under the "User penalties" list and add the users that should have a penalty, along with their penalty percentage. These are the user names you see in the bottom of the Translation results panel when you are translating. In the case of MemoQ users, it will be the user name of your translators, but MemoQ also allows you to add any name, since you might want to add a penalty to bad-quality segments created by some user in a memory supplied by your customer.

That's basically it!

When you create your online project, the TM settings you have just created will have to be selected in the Settings area of your project, as follows:
1. Open/create your project.

2. On the left hand-side, choose Settings.

3. In the icon bar at the top, choose the "TM Settings" icon. You should see the "Default" settings and your newly created settings. Make sure to tick the box of your settings. These settings will be applied to all segments of all memories.

I hope this works for you! Just remember the caveat I made about the settings in a previous posting. This will be surely fixed by Kilgray in a next update.

DanielBrockmann
DanielBrockmann
Additional reference on how this aspect works in SDL Trados 2009 Nov 11, 2010

Hi all,

To add to this thread from an SDL Trados 2009 perspective - just for reference for those interested. In SDL Trados Studio and TM Server 2009 you have a choice of how you want a project to work in terms of main vs. project TM. During a project lifecycle, you can choose to work with main TM(s) directly or use (online server-based or offline file-based) project TMs. You can then fill these project TMs with draft translations at will during the project - so all translators invol
... See more
Hi all,

To add to this thread from an SDL Trados 2009 perspective - just for reference for those interested. In SDL Trados Studio and TM Server 2009 you have a choice of how you want a project to work in terms of main vs. project TM. During a project lifecycle, you can choose to work with main TM(s) directly or use (online server-based or offline file-based) project TMs. You can then fill these project TMs with draft translations at will during the project - so all translators involved can leverage even unreviewed work - without affecting the quality in the main TM, or "clutter" the main TM during the draft stages. The main TM (in the online scenario) is available additionally for concordance searching and similar activities requiring a "BIG TM" (even if you use project TMs). At the end you then "finalise" the project, and this will update the main TMs with final reviewed translations from the files (and the project TMs can then be discarded at that stage).

BTW this approach also applies to purely file-based translation memory management - here you can also choose to use main and/or project TMs as described above, depending on how you set up and use the "batch task sequences" which are used to prepare a project for translation.

Thanks,
Daniel
(SDL Trados product management)
Collapse

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Almost same question, but for MemoQ Translator Pro Feb 2, 2011

Hi all,

I've read this thread with great interest, as I have a very similar question. I hope you would be able to help me.

I'm a MemoQ Translator Pro user, outsourcing work to other freelancers. But what is the ideal way to go about managing Master and Project TM's in such a setting?

I don't have much experience with this, but here's how I see it. Please share your thoughts on this workflow.

I would create a Master TM (per end client in stead o
... See more
Hi all,

I've read this thread with great interest, as I have a very similar question. I hope you would be able to help me.

I'm a MemoQ Translator Pro user, outsourcing work to other freelancers. But what is the ideal way to go about managing Master and Project TM's in such a setting?

I don't have much experience with this, but here's how I see it. Please share your thoughts on this workflow.

I would create a Master TM (per end client in stead of subject field), with read-only permission for the freelancer the work is outsourced to. The freelance translator receives the source files and read-only Master TM, creates a Project TM, performs the translation and returns the translated files and (uncleaned) Project TM. These would be sent, along with the read-only Master TM, to a second freelancer for proofing. The proofer would check everything, add changes, etc. to the translated file and Project TM. I'd receive them back, and update the Master TM with the cleaned Project TM (cleaned by the proofer).

Does this make sense, or is there a better, faster, more efficient,... way of doing this? Is this workflow also feasible when the freelancers work with other CAT-tools? Let's say the translator uses Trados and the proofer Wordfast, for example.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

gLocalise
Collapse

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2011

[Edited at 2011-02-04 21:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Master TM/Project TM management

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »