infarom
infarom
Romania
Local time: 00:40
English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2013

Hello everybody,
I have browsed the internet for getting familiar with the subsidy grant procedures and only found grants to which the foreign publisher may apply. Are there funding bodies offering subsidy grants to which translators may apply?

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
German to English
+ ...
Sample translation grants for translators Dec 29, 2013

Generally speaking, grants for full-length translations are available only to the party (usually a publisher) who has acquired the translation rights from the original rights holder to a particular book for a particular language.

However, some organizations in charge of marketing their national literatures abroad do award small grants for translators who want to do a sample translation of a few chapters and then pitch it to publishers in the hope that a publisher will then acquire t
... See more
Generally speaking, grants for full-length translations are available only to the party (usually a publisher) who has acquired the translation rights from the original rights holder to a particular book for a particular language.

However, some organizations in charge of marketing their national literatures abroad do award small grants for translators who want to do a sample translation of a few chapters and then pitch it to publishers in the hope that a publisher will then acquire the translation rights.

It's not immediately clear from your profile which source languages you work from, though I see a connection with Romania. In that case, you should investigate the websites of the Romanian Cultural Institute and the National Book Centre of Romania for details of their support programs for translators.

Remember that having done a sample translation is no guarantee that a publisher will then award the contract for the whole book to you.

Since you appear to be based in the US according to your profile, I recommend reading through the website of ALTA, the American Literary Translators' Association - particularly their "ALTA Guides":
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/

=====================
EDIT: How strange! When I posted my reply yesterday (the 29th), the OP's profile was that of an individual person in Tennessee. Now it's been changed to the name of a company in Romania.

The advice I gave above was for a person who might be interested in translating Romanian literature into English, not the other way around.

[Edited at 2013-12-30 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subsidy grants for translators?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »