Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 28, 2005

..but can't. Until recently, I had squashing privileges, but now the button has disappeared for some reason.

Anyway, here's the question http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1215510

and incidentally, the profile of the asker http://www.proz.com/pro/129636 needs to be removed as well in my opinion.

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I know why! Dec 28, 2005

ok, I just checked the question again, and someone has noted that once an answer has been provided, only a moderator can squash the Q.
That makes sense... hopefully a moderator can take care of the question and the asker's profile..

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:18
German to English
Squashing question Dec 28, 2005

Hi Nesrin, this is (at least) the second time the asker has posted this scam. I squashed the first instance as "not a language question." I've squashed this one too, and I'll see what we can do about the profile.
Best wishes, Kim

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Same question... Dec 28, 2005

...in http://www.proz.com/topic/39716?start=15&float=
(It's in Spanish)
Claudia says that to be able to squash, a "test" must be passed.
Well...
Luck.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do we need to know what this is about? Dec 28, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hi Nesrin, this is (at least) the second time the asker has posted this scam. I squashed the first instance as "not a language question." I've squashed this one too, and I'll see what we can do about the profile.
Best wishes, Kim

Nesrin wrote:

ok, I just checked the question again, and someone has noted that once an answer has been provided, only a moderator can squash the Q.

If the question posted was a "scam," and if someone was fooled enough to have provided an answer, and if this has happened before, is this a recurring problem that the rest of us need to be aware of/warned about? Of course, out of curiosity, I clicked on the links, but Kim had already squashed the question and the offending profile is gone as well, presumably through his actions.

Now, I totally support Kim and the other moderators and site staff in protecting the community. But, would it be possible both to warn us against future occurrences and, at the same time, to satisfy my curiosity? I'm dying to know what it was all about!

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing too exciting... Dec 28, 2005

Hi Jane
Basically, it was posted as a Kudoz question (En>Arabic, then changed to En>En), and it was just another one of those scams in which the sender claims he is the prince of Ghana or whatever and has a huge sum of money (in this case it was an impossibly precious stone if I remember correctly)... You know the rest.

Nesrin

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Juan, everything is solved now Dec 28, 2005

I did pass the test long ago, but I was puzzled that - in that particular case - I was unable to squash that question. Then I found out that non-moderators can only squash a question if an answer had already been provided.

Nesrin

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Scam Dec 28, 2005

JaneTranslates wrote:

Now, I totally support Kim and the other moderators and site staff in protecting the community. But, would it be possible both to warn us against future occurrences and, at the same time, to satisfy my curiosity? I'm dying to know what it was all about!

Hi, Jane. A moderator with the authority to remove profiles removed it. This is the first time anyone has used KudoZ for this purpose, as far as I know. I'm confident that if it happens again, it will be dealt with immediately, as was the case here.

Basically, the poster claimed to have discovered gold in his backyard and was looking for investors. And I've got a lovely beach-front property in Florida. Interested?

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Kim, but no thanks! Dec 28, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Basically, the poster claimed to have discovered gold in his backyard and was looking for investors. And I've got a lovely beach-front property in Florida. Interested?

No, Kim, thanks very much! I already have a lovely property in the mountains of Puerto Rico...

Thanks, Kim and Nesrin, for satisfying my curiosity. A healthy, happy and prosperous New Year to you both, and to all my colleagues at ProZ!

[Edited at 2005-12-28 19:57]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Gold in the backyard? Dec 28, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:
Basically, the poster claimed to have discovered gold in his backyard and was looking for investors.

This reminded me of the translator's joke with the Mexican bandit, so I searched for it and found a whole bunch of language jokes:

http://www.multilingualplanet.com/mlp_humor.htm

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I understand your (now resolved) issue but Jan 7, 2006

Nesrin wrote:

..but can't. Until recently, I had squashing privileges, but now the button has disappeared for some reason.

Anyway, here's the question http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1215510

and incidentally, the profile of the asker http://www.proz.com/pro/129636 needs to be removed as well in my opinion.

I understand why you would ask about it, but I really think that if you are going to bring up an issue linked to an actual question, it might be best as a general rule to submit a support ticket and/or contact a moderator. Just a suggestion, because it would seem to me that forum topics are meant as general discussions and not discussions that should be linked to particular questions. However, please do not take that the wrong way, because I understand your issue and your desire to resolve such an issue, I just think that issues linked to specific questions are best dealt with on an individual basis. I think this applies to ALL questions/issues linked to individual questions - I've seen threads started in the past with links to questions posted and I have always wondered how that falls into something that would be appropriate as a general discussion topic on a forum.

Cheers.:)

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right of course, gad, but.... Jan 7, 2006

... I did contact the moderators in question, but it appears that because of the Christmas season they weren't available at the time, so no action was taken. And since there was another issue involved, namely that I was intrigued by the fact that I was unable to squash the question myself (later I found out why that was), I decided to raise the question on the forum.

Nesrin

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
OK, makes sense Jan 7, 2006

Nesrin wrote:

... I did contact the moderators in question, but it appears that because of the Christmas season they weren't available at the time, so no action was taken. And since there was another issue involved, namely that I was intrigued by the fact that I was unable to squash the question myself (later I found out why that was), I decided to raise the question on the forum.

Nesrin

Thanks so much for your reply.:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to squash a question....

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »