Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)
Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2009

In some Kudoz interchanges in which I participate, answerers routinely thank those who agree with them. This has always seemed odd to me, since the point of agreeing (or disagreeing) is not to do a favor for the ANSWERER, but to help the ASKER decide what is the best. For that reason, I don't thank people who agree with me--not because I'm not grateful, which I am. (I also like to cut down on the traffic in people's email in-boxes.)

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but it is not intend
... See more
In some Kudoz interchanges in which I participate, answerers routinely thank those who agree with them. This has always seemed odd to me, since the point of agreeing (or disagreeing) is not to do a favor for the ANSWERER, but to help the ASKER decide what is the best. For that reason, I don't thank people who agree with me--not because I'm not grateful, which I am. (I also like to cut down on the traffic in people's email in-boxes.)

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but it is not intended to be!

(Just thought I'd mention this, an admittedly small point on the scale of world history.)

Susan

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-18 14:08 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:27
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
A little "thank you" wouldn't hurt Jun 18, 2009

I understand your point, but a little "thank you" wouldn't hurt, would it? I also enter peer comments, and when I receive a "thank you" response, I feel great, because I feel that I am helping both the asker to decide which answer is the best, and also helping the answerer have more confidence (I know that many do even before they suggest an answer) in what they entered, plus, if that answerer earns KudoZ point(s), his/her profile might look better.

To be honest, I know some people
... See more
I understand your point, but a little "thank you" wouldn't hurt, would it? I also enter peer comments, and when I receive a "thank you" response, I feel great, because I feel that I am helping both the asker to decide which answer is the best, and also helping the answerer have more confidence (I know that many do even before they suggest an answer) in what they entered, plus, if that answerer earns KudoZ point(s), his/her profile might look better.

To be honest, I know some people like you, who doesn't return a thank you note (I know that it's optional and I wouldn't want to force anyone to do so), but after spotting them in various language pairs I participate KudoZ in, I feel like that this person is either arrogant (getting an agree is what I expected from the beginning, since I have earned countless points in this language pair) or don't know manners. Don't get me wrong, Susan, it's nothing personal. And I welcome your posting, since I had some doubts about fellow Prozians and site-users who don't send a simple thank you, and now I understand why some people don't enter a thank you for "agrees".
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
Italian to English
+ ...
It's a cultural thing Jun 18, 2009

It's been discussed a number of times before. There are those who feel that it's rude not to thank people who agree with them, and others (including me) who think it's a waste of everyone's time. It seemed to largely boil down to cultural differences, although there were exceptions.

It's certainly not a question of arrogance. My personal policy is to respond to an agree only when that person has added some comment which I want to pick up on. As far as I recall, I've always responded
... See more
It's been discussed a number of times before. There are those who feel that it's rude not to thank people who agree with them, and others (including me) who think it's a waste of everyone's time. It seemed to largely boil down to cultural differences, although there were exceptions.

It's certainly not a question of arrogance. My personal policy is to respond to an agree only when that person has added some comment which I want to pick up on. As far as I recall, I've always responded to every disagree or neutral I've ever received.

As for receiving "thank yous" to my agrees, I'm neither pleased or displeased.

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/30065-etiquette:_thanking_everyone_who_agrees_with_you.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/40556-thanking_those_who_agree.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/76568-giving_thanks_to_agree_ers_why.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/101308-should_we_thank_agreers.html

[Edited at 2009-06-18 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Imo, thank you is a bit silly in this instance Jun 18, 2009

Thank you for backing my answer.
Thank you for thinking I'm correct.
Thank you for helping to sway people away from the right answer to mine.
Thank you for helping to convince Asker to select me.
Thank you for helping me earn Kudoz pointZ.
etc.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:27
German to English
Two sides to the coin Jun 18, 2009

writeaway wrote:
etc.

Yes, that's why I don't thank anybody for an "agree." I've just seen too many point grabbers thanking agreers profusely and abjectly: mille grazie! thank you so much!, etc. when it is obvious they are not doing so out of a sense of politeness, but because they are totally focused on winning the pointZ game rather than on a search for the truth, the best translation.

At the same time, there are hundreds of "thank you givers" who do so completely without any such ulterior motives.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 12:58 GMT]

foghorn
foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
thank you Jun 18, 2009

Somewhat exaggerated ritual for Kudoz activities. i feel quite lazy about it. i’m thankful though, like everybody else. Point is people thank when they feel like. If you don’t feel like it, don’t thank.

thank you

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:27
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Or..."Thank you for taking the time to have a look and see if you agree..." Jun 18, 2009

If I have time I thank. If not, I don't.
Sort of like responding to forums.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:27
English to Russian
+ ...
IMHO Jun 18, 2009

writeaway wrote:

etc.

For me it is all about the courtesy of a reply. Someone took their time to agree with my answer why can't I get back to them with "Thank you!". It is only two words.

Andrei

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
taking time to thank for taking time ;-) Jun 18, 2009

[/quote]

For me it is all about the courtesy of a reply. Someone took their time to agree with my answer why can't I get back to them with "Thank you!". It is only two words.

Andrei

[/quote]

This is the way I see it, too. I'm simply thanking people for taking time. No ulterior motives, no big deal. But on the flip side, I certainly don't consider people arrogant for *not*
... See more
[/quote]

Andrei

[/quote]

This is the way I see it, too. I'm simply thanking people for taking time. No ulterior motives, no big deal. But on the flip side, I certainly don't consider people arrogant for *not* offering their thanks.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Both ways... Jun 18, 2009

This is the way I see it, too. I'm simply thanking people for taking time. No ulterior motives, no big deal. But on the flip side, I certainly don't consider people arrogant for *not* offering their thanks.

I see... Then, of course, you are also thanking them for disagreeing? After all, it takes as much time etc.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:27
English to Russian
+ ...
you are partially right Jun 18, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:

I see... Then, of course, you are also thanking them for disagreeing? After all, it takes as much time etc.

When a disagree is warranted I thank them. When I don't agree I dispute their opinion and this makes up for the time they take to disagree.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 11:27
Spanish to English
So I was brought up wrong? Jun 18, 2009

One of the first things I was taught was to be thankful for things in life. There is even an entire day In the US dedicated to just that (though perhaps the focus has been shifted to football games and selling cars in recent years).
Among other things, I was taught that a nickel from Aunt Adelaine was ever bit worth a "Thank you" as the five-spot from Uncle George, and that even people doing their jobs as they're supposed to (the soda, milk or bread man, supermarket cashier or the mailman
... See more
One of the first things I was taught was to be thankful for things in life. There is even an entire day In the US dedicated to just that (though perhaps the focus has been shifted to football games and selling cars in recent years).
Among other things, I was taught that a nickel from Aunt Adelaine was ever bit worth a "Thank you" as the five-spot from Uncle George, and that even people doing their jobs as they're supposed to (the soda, milk or bread man, supermarket cashier or the mailman) deserved an occasional "Thank you".
Delivering newspapers to homes, I was occasionally thanked, and even thanked my customers on "collection" day when they paid me (with or without tip), even though this was a straighforward business deal- "You give me thirty cents a week and you get the paper at your home or office every day."
Food Fair Manager Ted Karbiner taught us to thank each and every customer, regardless of how much they bought. Even someone who got a "carry out" was thanked as the gorceries were put in the car, tip or no.
Is there now something wrong, something evil about this type of behavior?
Flash forward a few decades to the Napster (and other F/S apps) days. Find a file that someone took the trouble to digitalize, make available and pay for the BW so you can download it? What's wrong with a thank you for sharing? Yet in fact, very few people do say "Thank you" in these circumstances.
There may just be too many people nowadays who feel that common courtesy is a thing of the fast, and something we're well rid of.
When was the last time you were thanked for something?
When was the last time you thanked someone for something?
As for me, old habits die hard. I find it difficult to close a shopping trip with, "Gimme my d....d change." or similar.
Just what is wrong with common courtesy these days, that it should be subject to such skepticism?
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Totally agree with Susan and writeaway. Jun 18, 2009

Or:
Thank you for expressing your completely subjective opinion confirming whatever crazy thing I happen to have thought up.

Has been discussed multiple times before, but I could not agree more. I think it *is* clearly cultural, but paradoxically I'm always a bit miffed at the "cultural" argument. As if I didn't know enough to say thanks for something ("brought up wrong!" and all). Certainly I do, but it is simply not appropriate or necessary in this context IMO. As if writi
... See more
Or:
Thank you for expressing your completely subjective opinion confirming whatever crazy thing I happen to have thought up.

Has been discussed multiple times before, but I could not agree more. I think it *is* clearly cultural, but paradoxically I'm always a bit miffed at the "cultural" argument. As if I didn't know enough to say thanks for something ("brought up wrong!" and all). Certainly I do, but it is simply not appropriate or necessary in this context IMO. As if writing two words is a sincere expression of thanks? But Kim's point is also well taken.

writeaway wrote:

etc.

Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Over and over again Jun 18, 2009

This is not meant to be rude but...

These kind of threads periodically come up in the forum.

People saying thank you is odd.

Pleople talking about it over and over again in the forums is odd too.

)

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
Whom are we trying to help? Jun 18, 2009

If I answer a question, it is to help the person who asked it, even if at times I think deep down that I am doing somebody else's work for them.

That the asker should wish to thank me for my helpful (I hope) contribution is normal. That others may wish to agree or even violently disagree with me is their prerogative. But given that we are supposedly among peers here, thanking those who agree is rather excessive in my book. It's nice that people take the time to say "thank you" but
... See more
If I answer a question, it is to help the person who asked it, even if at times I think deep down that I am doing somebody else's work for them.

That the asker should wish to thank me for my helpful (I hope) contribution is normal. That others may wish to agree or even violently disagree with me is their prerogative. But given that we are supposedly among peers here, thanking those who agree is rather excessive in my book. It's nice that people take the time to say "thank you" but most of us have other things to do than keep track (like answering other questions and helping other strugglers out, perhaps ?).

I have always felt that if we are not careful, we will end up in one of those stupid "after you, no - after you" scenarios. Someone has to break the chain and I choose to do it. I am glad when people agree with me, especially if I think I'm right (!). If they disagree, I try to respond, especially if I think they are talking through the top of their heads. "Neutral" too often begs a response. Otherwise, sorry friends but you'll have to take my thanks as read.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »