Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 14:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2023

Dear colleagues located in China and Chinese colleagues located in other countries,

Is WeChat available for use here in the United States? I need to contact some clients in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

I installed the software in my laptop and in my Android smartphone but I'm experiencing some problems. I saw in the news that the software was banned by Donald Trump a few years ago.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2023-09-16 05:15 GM
... See more
Dear colleagues located in China and Chinese colleagues located in other countries,

Is WeChat available for use here in the United States? I need to contact some clients in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

I installed the software in my laptop and in my Android smartphone but I'm experiencing some problems. I saw in the news that the software was banned by Donald Trump a few years ago.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2023-09-16 05:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Ban Sep 17, 2023

The ban was lifted by President Biden in 2021.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeChat#Ban_and_injunction_against_ban_in_the_United_States

What problems did you encounter?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:48
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
WeChat Ban in the US Sep 17, 2023

The following Wall Street Journal article states that "The Trump administration tried to ban WeChat from U.S. app stores in 2020 on national-security grounds but a federal judge blocked the ban." It also states that some US states banned WeChat from state government devices. Apparently there is no ban at a federal level in the US at this time. WeChat is obviously a controversial topic in the US... See more
The following Wall Street Journal article states that "The Trump administration tried to ban WeChat from U.S. app stores in 2020 on national-security grounds but a federal judge blocked the ban." It also states that some US states banned WeChat from state government devices. Apparently there is no ban at a federal level in the US at this time. WeChat is obviously a controversial topic in the US.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tiktok-is-bad-but-wechat-is-worse-china-social-media-data-censorship-spying-ccp-app-mass-surveillance-11674593345?st=r77u30h2i7tqudh&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Mr. Satan Sep 18, 2023

Hi Mr. Satan,

I hope you are doing well. I'm sorry about the delay. Proz.com didn't notify me that I received a message about my forum.

I have some clients in China and Hong Kong and I need to communicate with them. I have some problems installing the app in my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop and in my android smartphone. I installed the app and I scanned the barcode from my smartphone.

I was waiting for several days for the text message,finally I received the te
... See more
Hi Mr. Satan,

I hope you are doing well. I'm sorry about the delay. Proz.com didn't notify me that I received a message about my forum.

I have some clients in China and Hong Kong and I need to communicate with them. I have some problems installing the app in my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop and in my android smartphone. I installed the app and I scanned the barcode from my smartphone.

I was waiting for several days for the text message,finally I received the text message yesterday but I'm still not able to login in my WeChat account.

I tried to contact the WeChat technical support in China but they have not responded to my email messages even though I wrote to them around 3 times. Can you please help me?

Feel free to write to me directly on my profile.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Mr. Atil. Sep 18, 2023

Hi Mr. Atil,

I hope you are doing well in Turkey and your family is healthy and safe. I'm sorry about the delay. Proz.com didn't notify me that I received a message about my forum. Thanks for letting me know that the ban that was lifted by Donald Trump against WeChat was lifted. I didn't know about this.

Mr. Atil. I have some clients in China and Hong Kong and I need to communicate with them. I have some problems installing the app in my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop and in m
... See more
Hi Mr. Atil,

I hope you are doing well in Turkey and your family is healthy and safe. I'm sorry about the delay. Proz.com didn't notify me that I received a message about my forum. Thanks for letting me know that the ban that was lifted by Donald Trump against WeChat was lifted. I didn't know about this.

Mr. Atil. I have some clients in China and Hong Kong and I need to communicate with them. I have some problems installing the app in my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop and in my android smartphone. I installed the app and I scanned the barcode from my smartphone as they requested from me.

I was waiting for several days for the text message,finally I received the text message yesterday but I'm still not able to login in my WeChat account. They took 5 days to send me the message. I don't know what is wrong.

I tried to contact the WeChat technical support in China but they have not responded to my email messages even though I wrote to them around 3 times. Can you please help me?

Feel free to write to me directly on my Proz.com profile.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:48
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Other Ways to Communicate Sep 18, 2023

Dear Yugoslavia,

Thank you for your message. I think it can be a good idea to communicate with your clients via another method. WeChat does not seem to be a reliable option here as is apparent from your message above. I would try some other ways, such as email, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. In fact, I would uninstall WeChat completely, and resort to another communication platform but it is your choice.

Mr. Satan (X)

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mr. Atil. Sep 18, 2023

Hi Mr. Atil,

I hope you are doing well in Turkey. I have just got your message. I was sleeping and it was my father's 30th death anniversary yesterday. I was sad.

Mr. Atil, the problem is that my clients want me to install WeChat because is free calls to China. Do you know if WeChat has customer service in the United States or in China?

My Chinese clients are not allowed Linkedin or Facebook.com

The Chinese government has many restrictions over
... See more
Hi Mr. Atil,

I hope you are doing well in Turkey. I have just got your message. I was sleeping and it was my father's 30th death anniversary yesterday. I was sad.

Mr. Atil, the problem is that my clients want me to install WeChat because is free calls to China. Do you know if WeChat has customer service in the United States or in China?

My Chinese clients are not allowed Linkedin or Facebook.com

The Chinese government has many restrictions over these social networks, this is the problem Mr. Atil.

Thanks again for your help.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN

Shuyang Zhang
Shuyang Zhang
Australia
Trying VPN Oct 17, 2023

Hi, yugoslavia

As far as I know, you can use VPN to access Wechat. The only downside is that it may not be free.
Generally, they will provide trials. You can look for a VPN service that provides access to China and test whether you can use Wechat normally during the free trial period.

Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese WeChat app.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »