Can you drive and "translate" for 13.00 an hour?? Ha Ha
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Langaid (X)
Langaid (X)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Let's hope one day our profession will ... May 15, 2004

My fellow translators of the world!
Let's hope one day our profession will receive the respect it deserves from the world. Let's hope one day it will become one of the best paid professions and all our hard work will be well rewarded.

Love & peace.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wrong language combination? May 18, 2004

Langaid wrote:

My fellow translators of the world!
Let's hope one day our profession will receive the respect it deserves from the world. Let's hope one day it will become one of the best paid professions and all our hard work will be well rewarded.

Love & peace.

Well, there was a case of an Albanian to German interpreter in Switzerland who made almost 300.000 USD a year when interpreting for the police. Politicians thought is was a scandal for an interpreter to earn more than a top civil service person, but it turned out to be all right, since the top salary is a 130 Euro per hour under difficult conditions for rare language combinations.
That won't help you Spanish-English guys, sorry, but keep the good spirit up

Robert M Maier
Robert M Maier
Local time: 00:23
English to German
+ ...
serves them right Nov 25, 2004

TafTrad wrote:
... "the sad thing is that someone will do it..."
I would add:
... "the sad thing is that someone will do it... BECAUSE THEY NEED THE MONEY!!" ...even though too little for that job and even though it looks terrible to drive a car and be a professional translator too..."

Of course, we do not know whether they actually found anyone who would go along with *that* offer... chances are (aren't they?), they found some poor bilingual instead (or, worse, skilled second language speaker of one or the other), thinking "Hey I could do that! I can speak English, I can speak Spanish, I can drive a car... and 'translator's/interpreter's work is kind of a stuff', anyway."
I still pity that bilingual... this must be just about the cruelest way to learn the truth, but at least they should have understood a bit more now. Whereas the client... the client has DESERVED *everything* they got, even if they didn't know they were asking for it!

Robert (embroiled into the "professional quality should have its price" battle on the lit.translation front)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you drive and "translate" for 13.00 an hour?? Ha Ha

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »