Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 21:47
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Nov 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

After everyone's great feedback on the custom Proz profile video I made a few weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and make another one! This time it's on how you can make your own free website through a CMS called Weebly. The video goes over how to set up the free account and provides an overview on the tools that are most helpful to translators.

The site is going to be used in several other videos that will talk about SEO, and some other things I've picked
... See more
Hi everyone,

After everyone's great feedback on the custom Proz profile video I made a few weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and make another one! This time it's on how you can make your own free website through a CMS called Weebly. The video goes over how to set up the free account and provides an overview on the tools that are most helpful to translators.

The site is going to be used in several other videos that will talk about SEO, and some other things I've picked up since I began working on these projects.

I hope you find the information helpful

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoG0yrFH9Cw
Collapse

Branka Ramadanovic
Branka Ramadanovic  Identity Verified
Bósnia-Herzegóvina
Local time: 05:47
inglês para croata
+ ...
Hi Triston, Nov 14, 2014

Your website suggestions really look funny and interesting! Do you have any idea, in case of taking the the free website option under the Weebly domain, what would be its visibility in say, Google or Bing search? Thank you so much.

Branka

Triston Goodwin
Estados Unidos
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Good question! Nov 14, 2014

Branka Ramadanovic wrote:

Your website suggestions really look funny and interesting! Do you have any idea, in case of taking the the free website option under the Weebly domain, what would be its visibility in say, Google or Bing search? Thank you so much.

Branka

That's a really good question! That is actually the next video that I'm going to make

To answer your question, it shouldn't be a negative factor to your website's SEO. Hosting only accounts for something like 1.3% of your overall score, according to Google, and Weebly isn't a bad hosting provider.

If you're looking to rank high for general translation terms, at least in English, we all have a hard time competing with Google Translate, Bing Translate and Yahoo's Babelfish. The best bet is to focus on a local niche market. Option B is to pay for Adwords or one of its equivalents.

I went into a little more detail here: www.opl10nt9n.com/blog/seo-for-translators-how-to-get-people-to-your-website and the plan is to show how to implement some of that information on this practice site in the next few videos.

Please keep sharing questions! It makes it easier for me to know what to say ^_^

[Edited at 2014-11-14 17:12 GMT]

Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio  Identity Verified
Itália
Membro (2015)
inglês para italiano
and what about blogging with weebly? Nov 14, 2014

Hi Triston
forgive me the OT...going crazy with Wordpress and not so enthusiastic with Blogger, do you recommend Weebly as a good-enough blogging platform?
Thanks in advance!

Triston Goodwin
Estados Unidos
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Wordpress and Blogger Nov 14, 2014

I honestly have never gotten Wordpress to work, so I can't really comment on it. I have recently started playing with Blogger though, and Weebly gives you a lot more options and tools, as well as control over your blog. Not only that, it's really easy to use. I have been blogging through Weebly now for about 10 months and I have been very happy with it. That link I shared in my comment above is the Weebly blog.

If nothing else, sign up for a free account (which you can later upgrade
... See more
I honestly have never gotten Wordpress to work, so I can't really comment on it. I have recently started playing with Blogger though, and Weebly gives you a lot more options and tools, as well as control over your blog. Not only that, it's really easy to use. I have been blogging through Weebly now for about 10 months and I have been very happy with it. That link I shared in my comment above is the Weebly blog.

If nothing else, sign up for a free account (which you can later upgrade) and try it out for yourself.

I plan to make a lot of these videos in the near future, using different tools and looking at different aspects of online marketing for translators. I'll add a Weebly blogging video to my list as well. You can subscribe to my channel if you like, that way you will receive a notice every time I upload a new video
Collapse

Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio  Identity Verified
Itália
Membro (2015)
inglês para italiano
sure I'll do Nov 14, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I plan to make a lot of these videos in the near future, using different tools and looking at different aspects of online marketing for translators. I'll add a Weebly blogging video to my list as well. You can subscribe to my channel if you like, that way you will receive a notice every time I upload a new video

Thanks a lot, Triston. Newsletter and channel subscribed (nice website!) and waiting for new tools!

Silvia

Triston Goodwin
Estados Unidos
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
^_^ Nov 14, 2014

Silvia Di Profio wrote:

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Thanks a lot, Triston. Newsletter and channel subscribed (nice website!) and waiting for new tools!

Silvia

Happy to help!

Triston Goodwin
Estados Unidos
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Blogging Nov 18, 2014

I just uploaded a new video on blogging in Weebly if anyone is interested. I'm still trying to put the next one on search engine optimization together. I expect it to be up later tonight or early tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uArXU0CR60&feature=youtu.be

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free way to build a website - YouTube video

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »