Chinese to English
+ ...
"One for all, all for one" Jan 21, 2015

Rita Pang wrote:

Egmont Schröder wrote:

We are everybody.
or
We are a big family.

The beauty of the Chinese language is often that we can play around with the formation of sentences while using the same words. Not quite so in your example cited, but indeed the word "家" could perhaps be expressed in variations of the "We are One" phrase, as suggested by many other participants already.

To be frank, I haven't been the one moderating posts in the Chinese forum lately, as my other forums do occasionally require more attention, but I do agree with my colleague's decision in he-li's case. Some of the posts were asked for modification simply as they were out of forum scope. I just want to make that clear here so that it is understood that it was not on the basis of "offensive language" or the like that he-li's posts were hidden. Forum scope is one of those broad rules which often comes into play in any kind of discussions.

Rita,

I fully agree with you. Even if we are able under some circumstances to play with words and be creative, there are regular Chinese grammar and syntax rules to follow. In no way is being creative with words a game of free-for-all.

I also agree with Zhoudan and Yueyin. Quite often the difficulty stems from the lack of proficiency in the translator's source language, target language, or both. In other words, oftentimes the translator has no one to blame but himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Here's another old saying that comes to mind. I truly believe people all too often unnecessarily reinvent the wheel ...

http://myy.cass.cn/news/726438.htm
“人人为我,我为人人”是一种什么性质的道德价值观?

[Edited at 2015-01-21 19:42 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
嗯,大家还是多体谅版主 Jan 21, 2015

ysun wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

he-li,对于你离开这个网站我深感遗憾!可以看出来,你的翻译标准是非常之高的,虽然有时不免曲高和寡。

与不少同仁一样,我采用了 Email tracking 功能,可以从 Emails 中看到那些 hidden posts,包括 he-li 的那两帖。据我观察,he-li 选择自行离开此网站是由于不理解论坛规则,并非其他原因。有些帖子被屏蔽,并不一定是因为其中表达了错误的观点,而是因为所表达观点超出了网站规定的范围,不符合论坛规则。如果 he-li 对此不理解,可以私下发信去问,甚至可以递交 support request ticket,但不能在论坛上公开询问或表示异议。Rita 在上面已经说得很清楚:“if there ever are concerns as to why posts are asked for modification, we welcome all questions.” 金航你也当过 moderator,肯定比我更了解这些。所以,he-li 选择自行离开这个网站,实在没有必要,也是他自己的损失。不同于被此网站开除者,he-li 如果愿意回来,我相信这里的大门是敞开的。

尽量保持理性,别意气用事。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:18
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
很對 Jan 21, 2015

J.H. Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

he-li,对于你离开这个网站我深感遗憾!可以看出来,你的翻译标准是非常之高的,虽然有时不免曲高和寡。

与不少同仁一样,我采用了 Email tracking 功能,可以从 Emails 中看到那些 hidden posts,包括 he-li 的那两帖。据我观察,he-li 选择自行离开此网站是由于不理解论坛规则,并非其他原因。有些帖子被屏蔽,并不一定是因为其中表达了错误的观点,而是因为所表达观点超出了网站规定的范围,不符合论坛规则。如果 he-li 对此不理解,可以私下发信去问,甚至可以递交 support request ticket,但不能在论坛上公开询问或表示异议。Rita 在上面已经说得很清楚:“if there ever are concerns as to why posts are asked for modification, we welcome all questions.” 金航你也当过 moderator,肯定比我更了解这些。所以,he-li 选择自行离开这个网站,实在没有必要,也是他自己的损失。不同于被此网站开除者,he-li 如果愿意回来,我相信这里的大门是敞开的。

尽量保持理性,别意气用事。

每一個同仁的離開都是對論壇來說可惜的一件事。本來在網上溝通就不容易,有時候有些談話感覺很直接、有點不客氣的,現實中語氣溫柔的不得了(我現實中就遇過兩個這樣的客戶)。畢竟寫電郵和面對面談話是不一樣的。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
人人為我,我為人人 Jan 21, 2015

人人為我,我為人人(Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno,英文:One for all, all for one)係17 世紀喺歐洲流傳嘅一句話。中文版本喺粵語地區好似香港亦深入民心[1],因為1950年代有套粵語片《危樓春曉》,將呢句話傳開。而 Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno 就係瑞士開國嘅敎悔[2][3]。而最多人知就係大仲馬《三劍俠》裏面用到呢句話,表示三劍俠無私,三人一齊對敵,做嘅都係為咗大家。Cantonese Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5_p38Xmlfs

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating 'We are one' into Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »