Thread poster: Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2013

Not a pleasant subject on this glorious day here but this is a question primarily for those who file their taxes in the UK. How do you work out broadband and phone expenses? The HMRC site drives me to distraction and I can't find an answer there. I know it should be a percentage of your monthly broadband bill but what is that percentage exactly? And also what about travel and accommodation expenses. Any answers gratefully received.

Di Penney
Di Penney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Helpful website for UK self-employed Jul 13, 2013

For information about the business expenses you can claim, you might find this site helpful as it is aimed specifically at the self-employed:
http://taxaid.org.uk/situations/self-employed/

For detailed information about allowable expenses, take a look at the HMRC's Business
... See more
For information about the business expenses you can claim, you might find this site helpful as it is aimed specifically at the self-employed:
http://taxaid.org.uk/situations/self-employed/

For detailed information about allowable expenses, take a look at the HMRC's Business Income Manuals at:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/index.htm

In particular, BIM47820 gives advice about apportioning the cost of broadband and telephone line rental between business and home use, although it doesn't specify the ratio you should apply. The guidance simply says "care should be taken and a flexible approach adopted when considering the level of apportioned business expenditure". What does that mean? It's open to interpretation, but I take it to mean "don't take the p**s" and don't put down 95% business use unless you work 95% of the time and can prove it if challenged! Personally, I imagine somewhere around 33% is acceptable if you work full time.
Collapse

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 16, 2013

Thanks Di. I knew the acceptable amount to be on the safe side was in the region of 30 percent. That's what I'll use.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Broadband and travel expenses for tax

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »