Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:24
Member (2004)
German to English
May 10, 2010

Hello colleagues,

The WA branch of AUSIT is hosting a 3-hour cross-cultural awareness training workshop at the Boulevard Conference Centre in Floreat on Saturday 12 June from 9-12. For further details and registration information please contact me privately at the following address:

[email protected]

Best regards
Trish

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 05:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Which cultures or ethnic communities are involved? May 11, 2010

Greetings.

Thank you for your informative post about that workshop.

Kindly clarify [1] which cultures or ethnic communities and [2] which groups of cross-cultural practitioners are involved?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention and assistance.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Patricia Will
Australia
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cross-cultural awareness training May 11, 2010

Hi Stephen, I will send you the flyer about the workshop but it is a general workshop intended for translators and interpreters but not focussed on any particular ethnic group or community. Not much use to you anyway as you are not in Australia!
Best regards
Trish

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Course May 11, 2010

Dear Patricia,

I read about your proposed course on cross-cultural awareness training. This is a very interesting topic and important for the translation business. I always focus on this topic when I teach English to people going abroad, as differences between countries can be very significant.

Unfortunately I can not make it as I live a bit too far away (Brazil), but hope your initiative encourages someone to offer something similar here in Brazil. We translators reall
... See more
Dear Patricia,

I read about your proposed course on cross-cultural awareness training. This is a very interesting topic and important for the translation business. I always focus on this topic when I teach English to people going abroad, as differences between countries can be very significant.

Unfortunately I can not make it as I live a bit too far away (Brazil), but hope your initiative encourages someone to offer something similar here in Brazil. We translators really need it!

If you or AUSIT could post a summary of the course on the Internet somehow (or even as a ProZ article) this would be very much appreciated.

PAUL
Collapse

Patricia Will
Australia
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cross-cultural awareness training May 11, 2010

You are right Paul, this is an important aspect of our work as "cultural mediators". Perhaps I can encourage our presenter to write something for publication on Proz.com or elsewhere. This is also a topic that we are also planning to include in the AUSIT conference to be held in Fremantle, Western Australia in November this year (for details go to www.ausitconference.org) so if you know any experts who w... See more
You are right Paul, this is an important aspect of our work as "cultural mediators". Perhaps I can encourage our presenter to write something for publication on Proz.com or elsewhere. This is also a topic that we are also planning to include in the AUSIT conference to be held in Fremantle, Western Australia in November this year (for details go to www.ausitconference.org) so if you know any experts who would like to travel to Australia to present a paper on this topic tell them to contact me!

Best regards
Trish
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cross-cultural awareness training 12 June

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »