Lenka
Lenka
United States
Local time: 18:26
English to Czech
+ ...
Jan 18, 2004

Hello everyone,

If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?
I would really appreciate it. I am trying to train myself as a subtitler.

Thank you very much,

Lenka

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Hi Lenka Jan 18, 2004

I don't have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It's something I have always been interested in doing, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling tranlation test Jan 18, 2004

Hi Paul,

If you are in London, you can attend a \"Subtitling conference\" there which takes place between 6.-7. February, I believe. Check www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/CTS/insomanywords.htm. Also, under my name is another posting called \"Subtitling\" where you can find some very useful links.

Good luck!

Lenka

Paul Lambert wrote:

I don\'t have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It\'s something I have always been interested in doing, but I\'m not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
Subtitling translation tests Jan 19, 2004

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:
If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?

Hi Lenka,

I have an old test but I can only find the text-strings file and not the accompanying visuals for the relevant scenes. either I've deleted its mpg file or I was sent a cd for that test which I've since misplaced or written-over. Subtitling of course can't truly be done with justice without the assistance of visuals. However the scenes were those of a well-known movie. I'm sure the title is carried by Blockbuster, Netflix or any other video/dvd rentals. Email me if you think what I have might work for you and I'll send the file over.

-may-

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling translation tests Jan 19, 2004

Oh, anything would be helpful! Please, do send it. I was surprised to read what you had to say on this. I was sent a translation test for subtitling by this company (consisting of a documentary, interview and lots of idioms, puns etc.) , but the script was not accompanied by ANY visuals. I did not find it too difficult to translate, althought had I known the "whole story," I guess it would have helped - for sadly, I did not get the job... See more
Oh, anything would be helpful! Please, do send it. I was surprised to read what you had to say on this. I was sent a translation test for subtitling by this company (consisting of a documentary, interview and lots of idioms, puns etc.) , but the script was not accompanied by ANY visuals. I did not find it too difficult to translate, althought had I known the "whole story," I guess it would have helped - for sadly, I did not get the job. I am now trying to find other tests, try again and consult it with people that are professionals in this field, as I would like to find out what might have gone wrong.

Thank you again,

Lenka

yam2u wrote:

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi Lenka,

I have an old test but I can only find the text-strings file and not the accompanying visuals for the relevant scenes. either I've deleted its mpg file or I was sent a cd for that test which I've since misplaced or written-over. Subtitling of course can't truly be done with justice without the assistance of visuals. However the scenes were those of a well-known movie. I'm sure the title is carried by Blockbuster, Netflix or any other video/dvd rentals. Email me if you think what I have might work for you and I'll send the file over.

-may-
Collapse

Heisus
Heisus
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
English to German
You could do a subtitling course, which cost about £500. The next one starts in April I believe... Feb 26, 2004

Paul Lambert wrote:

I don't have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It's something I have always been interested in doing, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
I Wonder ! Feb 27, 2004

Hello All,

I wonder if you are still in need of subtitling tests . I have a big one.

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
ATN/ATPS Certified Translator,
Sun Certified Programmer,
http://www.nour.co.nr/

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:36]

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling test Feb 27, 2004

Hi,

I would be very grateful if you could send it to me:).

Thank you,

Lenka

Abdelazim Abdelazim wrote:

Hello All,

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it[/quote]

Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Well ! Feb 28, 2004

Hi Lenka,

In my first email to them, I mentioned no previous subtitling experience, but they sent the test with guidelines on how to translate it. It's as if they said
"Well, we know you'r NOT a subtitler but we reviewed your profile and found that you ARE a good translator-victim!!"

By the way, I passed a recent subtitling test successfully sent to me by a respectable, yet pays-very-low-rates
agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK a
... See more
Hi Lenka,

In my first email to them, I mentioned no previous subtitling experience, but they sent the test with guidelines on how to translate it. It's as if they said
"Well, we know you'r NOT a subtitler but we reviewed your profile and found that you ARE a good translator-victim!!"

By the way, I passed a recent subtitling test successfully sent to me by a respectable, yet pays-very-low-rates
agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK as they proudly affirm?

If you want this test sent to you, You can send your payment ($30) to my ordinary address

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

Lenka

Hello All,

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:37]
Collapse

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling test Mar 2, 2004

Will you please send me the test or you wanted me to send you the 30 dollars first:)?

Best,

Lenka

Hi Lenka,

agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK as they proudly affirm?

If you want this test sent to you, You can send your payment ($30) to my ordinary address

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

Lenka

Hello All,

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it[/quote][/quote][/quote]

darting arrow
darting arrow
Local time: 03:26
English to French
+ ...
I'm quite surprised Jan 12, 2006

Hi guys

I'm quite surprised you ask $30 for a test. The request is from somebody who needs help and hints from professionals, not a business matter...

I'm quite surprised, and wouldn't ask for your help, eventhough I may need it too...

Cheers

Lilyrose

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:26
English to Polish
a joke? Jan 24, 2006

LilyRose, I think the $30 payment was just a joke, otherwise I would be quite surprised, too. Anyway, if you need subtitling tests, I'll be happy to help you - free of charge

Joanna

XENA10

trufflejus
trufflejus  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
test Feb 14, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

LilyRose, I think the $30 payment was just a joke, otherwise I would be quite surprised, too. Anyway, if you need subtitling tests, I'll be happy to help you - free of charge

Joanna

I would be interested in seeing a test if someone could send it to me!

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. Feb 14, 2006

Good morning Lenka

i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. I deleted the file long time ago and I do not remember the company URL. It is something easy. Go ahead and never get worried about it. I do not agree about that 30 payment although it might be a joke. We are here not for jokes. help is our top level priority.

To be able to pass any test get intensive training on listening and reading. I tried this prac
... See more
Good morning Lenka

i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. I deleted the file long time ago and I do not remember the company URL. It is something easy. Go ahead and never get worried about it. I do not agree about that 30 payment although it might be a joke. We are here not for jokes. help is our top level priority.

To be able to pass any test get intensive training on listening and reading. I tried this practice and it works well. Try it.

Thanks.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling translation tests

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »