MemoQ Standard vs Pro
Autor de la hebra: J.Muldoon
J.Muldoon
J.Muldoon
Alemania
Local time: 09:54
alemán al inglés
May 12, 2010

I recently tested MemoQ Pro and was pretty happy with it. Then, however, the trial licence ran out and I was left with MemoQ4free and was disgusted by what a pointless, useless bit of junk that is.
I'm now in a bit of a quandary about which version (if any) to buy. I try to avoid using CAT tools where possible and I don't really want to shell out for the Pro version but, given my experience with MemoQ4free, I'm unsure about how usable the standard version really is.
Also, I've gathe
... See more
I recently tested MemoQ Pro and was pretty happy with it. Then, however, the trial licence ran out and I was left with MemoQ4free and was disgusted by what a pointless, useless bit of junk that is.
I'm now in a bit of a quandary about which version (if any) to buy. I try to avoid using CAT tools where possible and I don't really want to shell out for the Pro version but, given my experience with MemoQ4free, I'm unsure about how usable the standard version really is.
Also, I've gathered that the fee is payable annually but that's not really clear from the website and there's no mention of it in the terms & conditions and it strikes me as a rather unusual system.
I'd really be very grateful for your opinions and some advice on the different MemoQ versions and whether the standard version is worth buying.
Thanks,
Felis
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Alemania
alemán al inglés
Shock! Horror! May 12, 2010

"disgusted by what a pointless, useless bit of junk that is"???

So Kilgray won't just give away their product, huh? Shocking. Tragic. Bitter, even.

Why not take advantage of the TGB currently running and grab a license for TranslatorPro for half the standard price?

See: http://www.kilgray.com/products/memoq/editions for a comparison of the versions. T
... See more
"disgusted by what a pointless, useless bit of junk that is"???

So Kilgray won't just give away their product, huh? Shocking. Tragic. Bitter, even.

Why not take advantage of the TGB currently running and grab a license for TranslatorPro for half the standard price?

See: http://www.kilgray.com/products/memoq/editions for a comparison of the versions. The key difference between the two lies in the ability to access remote resources, and to handle XLIFF files and SDL bilingual docs (Pro). Only you can say whether or not you really need those options.

For what it is worth, I have not regretted my purchase and now use MemoQ on almost all of my projects.

Note also that with a Pro license "you will be entitled to free upgrades and 4 hours of free support during the first year. Upgrades, maintenance and support cost 20% of the list price for every additional year." (http://www.kilgray.com/editions/translator-pro)

Another important thing to note:
"Upgrade to memoQ translator pro
* if you want to get premium support from the company that is reputed to have the best support services in the industry
* if you want to have a license that never expires
* if you work on updated documents
* if you want to work together with other translators
* if you want to have access to memoQ servers"
(http://www.kilgray.com/editions/translator-standard)
Collapse

Kathrin Berger
Kathrin Berger  Identity Verified
Nueva Zelanda
Local time: 19:54
alemán al inglés
+ ...
memoQ May 12, 2010

A few months ago I was in the same situation as you and decided to purchase the standard version of memoQ.

I DO NOT recommend buying the standard version for the following reason:

With Standard you do not get any support from the Kilgray team which has proven such a problem for me that I have given up on memoQ altogether now - I have had several error messages pop up which prevent me from using the CAT tool properly and without any help from Kilgray I am unable to resol
... See more
A few months ago I was in the same situation as you and decided to purchase the standard version of memoQ.

I DO NOT recommend buying the standard version for the following reason:

With Standard you do not get any support from the Kilgray team which has proven such a problem for me that I have given up on memoQ altogether now - I have had several error messages pop up which prevent me from using the CAT tool properly and without any help from Kilgray I am unable to resolve the issues.

The help function and Yahoo groups were not able to resolve my issues and I am not willing to pay EUR 50 for every call I lodge with Kilgray so I have now given up and use other CAT tools.

This really is a shame as I did enjoy the trial version very much so I don't want to put you off memoQ! Just be aware of the fact that you won't get any support with the standard version.

Kind regards,
Kathrin
Collapse

J.Muldoon
J.Muldoon
Alemania
alemán al inglés
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thank you Kathrin May 12, 2010

That doesn't sound good at all, sorry you've had such a bad experience.
I understand the whole thing with paying for a full support service but I'd expect some help if it doesn't work at all, that's surely grounds for a refund!

Regards,
Felis

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Bug-related support May 13, 2010

I do believe you get full support for bug-related issues even with the Standard edition. I'd try to make clear to Kilgray that your issue is a bug in their software, not a system-related issue, Kathrin.

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
inglés al francés
Standard vs Pro… May 14, 2010

Hi Felis,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with memoQ standard edition.

Please note though that we usually don't recommend purchasing that edition, as it is basically a time-limited Pro version with all bilingual document exchange capabilities disabled. That means it's basically suited only to people who don't have to exchange bilingual data/documents with others (an agency for example). If you get your source documents and you deliver only translated doc
... See more
Hi Felis,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with memoQ standard edition.

Please note though that we usually don't recommend purchasing that edition, as it is basically a time-limited Pro version with all bilingual document exchange capabilities disabled. That means it's basically suited only to people who don't have to exchange bilingual data/documents with others (an agency for example). If you get your source documents and you deliver only translated documents, then this version could be a nice starter until you can afford moving to a more traditional edition.

To all professional translators, we do recommend to go for the Pro version, which has all the features you need and more. Plus free upgrades and technical support for a year.

As for support with the standard version, it is not included for a very simple reason: adding in any support and upgrades would make its price jump quite noticeably, and the very low price is what people buying the standard edition are aiming at in the first place.

That said, if you send an email to [email protected] and tell us about your problem, chances are high that you will indeed get an answer fast. Even for a 4Free or a standard version, we sometimes do answer support request if they're not of the highly time consuming kind. We do not *guarantee* support, but we try our best to satisfy every customer.

If you ever have been in a really delicate situation where you have to deliver the same day and something weird happens, then you'll realize why getting support really fast (usually that same day) to solve your problem is really a must. Think of it not as a cost, but as a business investment. Between the group buy offers over here and the frequent special offers around here and there, going for the Translators Pro edition can never be a bad choice.
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
inglés al francés
A nice email get get you a long way… May 14, 2010

Hi Loek,

Loek van Kooten wrote:

I do believe you get full support for bug-related issues even with the Standard edition. I'd try to make clear to Kilgray that your issue is a bug in their software, not a system-related issue, Kathrin.

Even though we officially don't offer support for the 4Free and Standard versions, you'd be surprised what a nice email with a "please" inside can get you! It is not uncommon to have a trial period reasonably extended or get a solution to a simple request.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Standard vs Pro

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »