Wordfast group buy - price is valid ONLY if 25 people sign up?
Thread poster: Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:38
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2009

I just want to make sure I understood this right! The price indicated for the Wordfast offer is valid ONLY if 25 people signs up? Or is it valid for who ever reserves it independent of number?

TIA!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-28 02:55 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:38
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
The former May 28, 2009

Only if 25 persons gather to buy Wordfast --which I honestly cannot see happening.

And, to begin with, this is not a "BIGGER" discount, as they advertise it: they always offer this very same discount.

[Edited at 2009-05-28 00:36 GMT]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:38
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Let's just wait for a few days May 28, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Only if 25 persons gather to buy Wordfast -- which I honestly cannot see happening.

And, to begin with, this is not a "BIGGER" discount, as they advertise it: they always offer this very same discount.

[Edited at 2009-05-28 00:36 GMT]

Let's just wait a few days and see how our colleagues decide. The TGB discount (50 euro before VAT) could be called bigger than normal because this purchase still includes both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro.

Regards,
Gerard

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
General comment on TGB May 28, 2009

The formulation "Sale closes Jun 02 2009, or when the final 22 units are reserved." is quite ambiguous: it can mean "whichever happens first" or "whichever happens last". In the first case, at most 25 units are sold; if there are fewer buyers, the sale closes on the given date. In the second case, at least 25 units are sold: if this number is not reached by the initial closing date then it is extended.

Indeed, the ... See more
The formulation "Sale closes Jun 02 2009, or when the final 22 units are reserved." is quite ambiguous: it can mean "whichever happens first" or "whichever happens last". In the first case, at most 25 units are sold; if there are fewer buyers, the sale closes on the given date. In the second case, at least 25 units are sold: if this number is not reached by the initial closing date then it is extended.

Indeed, the FAQ says:
I joined a purchase group but the number of buyers has not reached the total required and the sale closing date is due soon. Will the purchase be made all the same?

It depends. Some TGBs close on the closing date even if the target number of buyers has not been reached. However, in most cases if the target number has not been reached by the closing date, the purchase is then made when the required number of buyers do join in.

From what I have seen, I would say that:
  • The target number is reached in most campaigns.
  • Once the target number is reached, a couple of hours (but usually less than a day) is left befoire closing the campaign. Additional purchase requests are accepted. This is probably to ensure that the specified number is sold even if a (couple of( user(s) who initially expressed interest in participating in the TGB withdraws.
  • If the target number is not reached, the sale closes on the initially set date (or perhaps a day later).

Nonetheless I agree that it would be preferable to have a clearer formulation, such as adding "whichever happens first" to the wording if that is applicable.

Attila
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Memories May 28, 2009

I seem to remember I bought something through TGB a few years ago and although the buyers' count was not reached at the deadline, the sale remained effective and I could buy it with the discount stated.
So whether the count was reached or not made no difference. But it may vary depending on the product.

Philippe

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:38
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 28, 2009

Thanks for all your answers! I am afraid I will have to buy it full price, because I do not have time to wait for another 20+ people to sign up for it. I need it this weekend!
=( Too bad!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast group buy - price is valid ONLY if 25 people sign up?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »