Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Are Canadian translators taking full advantage of technologies available?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 00:46
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation please! Jul 29, 2002

thanks

paola l m

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:46
Member (2004)
English to Italian
translation... Jul 29, 2002

My knowledge of Japanese is very limited, so my translation might not be 100% correct. I will leave the task to Tanuki, if \"they\" are still around.

\"volpi e procioni, anche voi, venite fuori!

esploriamo a fondo la foresta

ho tantissimi amici e ne sono felicissimo!

ho tantissimi amici e ne sono felicissimo!\"

and in English..

foxes and raccoons (or something like that... n.d.t), you too, come out!
... See more
My knowledge of Japanese is very limited, so my translation might not be 100% correct. I will leave the task to Tanuki, if \"they\" are still around.

\"volpi e procioni, anche voi, venite fuori!

esploriamo a fondo la foresta

ho tantissimi amici e ne sono felicissimo!

ho tantissimi amici e ne sono felicissimo!\"

and in English..

foxes and raccoons (or something like that... n.d.t), you too, come out!

let\'s explore the forest in depth

I\'ve got so many friends and I\'m very happy about it

I\'ve got so many friends and I\'m very happy about it!

G

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 11:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 12:46 ]
Collapse

Tanuki (X)
Tanuki (X)
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
This is OT, and I take no promptings. Jul 29, 2002

However, since this is from Tonari no Totoro, a very nice movie indeed, by Miyazaki Hayao...

a tentative translation (found on the net)might be

Foxes and badgers too, come out!

Let\'s go exploring deep into the woods.

I have lots of friends, I\'m so happy.

One might want to replace \"badgers\" with \"raccoon dogs\", but anyway...you can see the
... See more
However, since this is from Tonari no Totoro, a very nice movie indeed, by Miyazaki Hayao...

a tentative translation (found on the net)might be

Foxes and badgers too, come out!

Let\'s go exploring deep into the woods.

One might want to replace \"badgers\" with \"raccoon dogs\", but anyway...you can see the plural.

Quote:

On 2002-07-29 10:52, Verbum Ltd. wrote:

kitsune mo tanuki mo dete oide

tanken-shiyou hayashi no oku made

tomodachi takusan ureshii na

tomodachi takusan ureshii na

A little prompting for you, Tanuki I and II.

G

OT= Off Topic

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 13:39 ]Collapse

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
Japanese to French
A different impression from (and on) Japan Jul 29, 2002

Paola, I really appreciate this forum on Trados. After about 5 years as a freelance in Japan, I know that Japanese translation agencies have similar problems when they try to recruit translators familiar with CAT tools.

I have been using Trados for about 2 years in Japan, and when I receive some documents by fax, I never hesitate to use Omnipage Pro to convert them into text (or a similar software for the Japanese documents). I don\'t know if the fax machines we use in Japan
... See more
Paola, I really appreciate this forum on Trados. After about 5 years as a freelance in Japan, I know that Japanese translation agencies have similar problems when they try to recruit translators familiar with CAT tools.

I have been using Trados for about 2 years in Japan, and when I receive some documents by fax, I never hesitate to use Omnipage Pro to convert them into text (or a similar software for the Japanese documents). I don\'t know if the fax machines we use in Japan are better than those that are used in Canada (anyway, I guess most of them are Made in Japan ), but in my case everything works fine in general. And finally, I also use Omnipage very often to convert PDF documents in Word format.

In Japan too, there will always be Tanukis, but if they don\'t use Cat tools, maybe, in a long perspective, we can say that their species is endangered... :

Note : Tanuki = raccoon dog... or old fox

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 12:34 ]
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Use SDLX to translate Word documents! Jul 29, 2002

Quote:

Rita wrote:

My (mostly Canadian) clients don\'t seem to care much for CAT tools, both direct clients and agencies; I receive a lot of faxes, Word and Wordperfect files.

If this is what many other translators in Canada think, it\'s no wonder they aren\'t using CAT tools. I don\'t understand why you say that your clients don\'t seem to care much for CAT tools. Did they tell you that you c... See more
Quote:

Rita wrote:

My (mostly Canadian) clients don\'t seem to care much for CAT tools, both direct clients and agencies; I receive a lot of faxes, Word and Wordperfect files.

If this is what many other translators in Canada think, it\'s no wonder they aren\'t using CAT tools. I don\'t understand why you say that your clients don\'t seem to care much for CAT tools. Did they tell you that you couldn\'t use one to translate your documents? In fact, is there any reason they should know that you are using a CAT tool?

I bought DejaVu almost 3 years ago, and it was my decision (in other words, no one forced me to buy it). And I only tell clients about it if they need to know (mainly agencies). The important thing for our clients is that they get a good quality translation delivered on time. They don\'t care what you use to translate it.

Rita, next time you get a Word document, why not put it into SDLX and really give it a go? Contrary to popular belief, a document to not have to be repetitive in order for a CAT tool to be beneficial. I use it for everything.

Erika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 12:38 ]Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
OT??? Jul 29, 2002

What do you mean by OT, Tanukis?

BTW, your translation is much better than mine!

G

Thanks for OT, Takunis... but it wasn\'t OT, it was a key part of my prompting (but we don\'t take any prisoners here, apparently!).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 15:08 ]

Rita Cavaiani
Rita Cavaiani  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
To Erika Jul 29, 2002

Hi Erika,

Please that is not what I said. What I wanted to point out is (and this is my personal experience only) that European and American agencies often ask if I use CAT tools or require a specific CAT tool for a job, while my Canadian clients rarely do and they don’t seem to care about what I use as long as I deliver the translation in the format they want.

Of course I can use CAT tools if I want to, of course the client doesn’t care what I use to translat
... See more
Hi Erika,

Please that is not what I said. What I wanted to point out is (and this is my personal experience only) that European and American agencies often ask if I use CAT tools or require a specific CAT tool for a job, while my Canadian clients rarely do and they don’t seem to care about what I use as long as I deliver the translation in the format they want.

Of course I can use CAT tools if I want to, of course the client doesn’t care what I use to translate as long as he likes the translation, and of course I don’t even have to tell the client what I use, but that, in my opinion, is another story.

Paola wanted to know why Canadian translators seem to use less CAT tools than European translators, I suggested that this is probably due to the fact that Canadian clients don’t specifically ask for CAT tools often, at least in my experience, so maybe the translators are less motivated to use CAT tools than those in Europe.

Ciao

Rita
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cat translation in a bilingual country.... Jul 29, 2002

Erika wrote:

Rita, next time you get a Word document, why not put it into SDLX and really give it a go? Contrary to popular belief, a document to not have to be repetitive in order for a CAT tool to be beneficial. I use it for everything.

I bought SDLX through Proz.com and started using for everything as well, repetitions and no repetitions. The visual aspect was important as well, to have the source on one side of the screen and the target on the other. I
... See more
Erika wrote:

I bought SDLX through Proz.com and started using for everything as well, repetitions and no repetitions. The visual aspect was important as well, to have the source on one side of the screen and the target on the other. I also started to align anything I had translated previously and came up with good enough but small memories. It certainly does not hurt. I realized that it was harder for example to forget to translate part of a text, that it was very easy to find out how you had translated something 5000 or even 2000 words before etc. etc.

Then I moved on to Multitrans and I never looked back.

Again, to look at the specifics of the Canadian situation and to make others understand the source of my puzzlement, imagine any government department in your country having to translate any piece of text that crosses any desk and goes out to the public. With freelancers doing a good share of this fairly repetitive translation, requiring uniformity and consistency through the months and the years. Yes, we have Termium, but would you not say that the tools we are discussing are indispensable?

greetings.

paola l m
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:46
English to Italian
+ ...
A modest proposal... Jul 30, 2002

Paola,

if your agency has to face such a situation, with millions of words being translated and translators unwilling to use every tool but MS-Word or a typewriter, I just suggest to translate in-house, with training held by more experienced translators. I know that your agency could object on this, and that Canada is e a big Country with translators spread here and there, but maybe there is the need of some guidance and the rates you pay are worth the expense.

Tanuki (X)
Tanuki (X)
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Dear Alain, Jul 30, 2002

Bonjour.

First of all, thank you for your interesting message.

I am not going to dispute your conclusions - Yes, you might be right, in the long run even Tanuki may be endangered.

(In all fairness, may I point out that I _do_ happen to use CAT tools, and that I merely wrote that I know of several _outstanding_ Translators that do not.)... See more
Bonjour.

First of all, thank you for your interesting message.

I am not going to dispute your conclusions - Yes, you might be right, in the long run even Tanuki may be endangered.

(In all fairness, may I point out that I _do_ happen to use CAT tools, and that I merely wrote that I know of several _outstanding_ Translators that do not.)

Anyway, today I have two questions for you, if you please. The first one is more practical, the second one more idealistic, perhaps.

1) Have you ever experienced some problems with Trados when handling Japanese texts?

Don\'t get me wrong here, I am sure in your case everything works fine.

I am talking in general about minor inconveniences, like, e.g., occasional concordance failings, and/or inflated character counts (with ASCII characters and double-byte characters counted individually).

2) Of course, you know the old saying

���̒m�V ?

[I sure hope it does not come out garbled(��������)! -

[Edited >Argh! It did come through garbled! Anyway, it is \"Onko chishin\" ]

anyway, just in case it does, in Japanese it reads \"onko chishin\"

[\"on\" of \"atatameru\", \"ko\" of \"yue\", \"chi\" of \"shi(ru)\", \"shin\" of \"atara(shii)\"]

Perhaps, in case you have time, you would be so kind as to comment a bit on this humble old saying?

�X�������肢���܂��A

[Edited >Argh! It did come through garbled! Anyway, it is \"Yoroshiku onegai shimasu\" ]

Thank you,

Tanuki I

Quote:

On 2002-07-29 12:26, ALAIN COTE wrote:

I have been using Trados for about 2 years in Japan, and when I receive some documents by fax, I never hesitate to use Omnipage Pro to convert them into text (or a similar software for the Japanese documents). I don\'t know if the fax machines we use in Japan are better than those that are used in Canada (anyway, I guess most of them are Made in Japan ), but in my case everything works fine in general. And finally, I also use Omnipage very often to convert PDF documents in Word format.

In Japan too, there will always be Tanukis, but if they don\'t use Cat tools, maybe, in a long perspective, we can say that their species is endangered... :

Note : Tanuki = raccoon dog... or old fox ▲ Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
French to English
For Rita & another theory Jul 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-29 14:24, Isbi wrote:

Hi Erika,

<... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-29 14:24, Isbi wrote:

Hi Erika,

I apologize if I misunderstood, but that was my impression of your message (that you bought a CAT tool and chose not to use it). I agree that very few clients here in Canada don\'t require you to use a CAT tool.

I thought of something else that could explain why so few translators in Canada use a CAT tool: I suspect that many don\'t explore the Internet to find all the resources available for translators (Web sites such as ProZ, mailing lists, etc.), so naturally they wouldn\'t know that there are a range of tools available.

I know my translator association has advertised a CAT tool made by a company here in Canada, but that\'s the only one. So the information I get is quite limited. Imagine if a translator only belongs to this association and that\'s the only info they get. Of course they wouldn\'t know about all the great resources available to them.

Thoughts?

Erika

Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
on what planet do these people live on? Jul 30, 2002

\"Imagine if a translator only belongs to this association and that\'s the only info they get. Of course they wouldn\'t know about all the great resources available to them\".

Yes, but this is not what being a translator means these days! I remember 1993 using WordPerfect on my 286, but since then with the net everything has changed. Come on! I would never entrust a translation to somebody who doesn\'t know what a CAT tool is or doesn\'t know how to do a search on the Inter
... See more
\"Imagine if a translator only belongs to this association and that\'s the only info they get. Of course they wouldn\'t know about all the great resources available to them\".

Yes, but this is not what being a translator means these days! I remember 1993 using WordPerfect on my 286, but since then with the net everything has changed. Come on! I would never entrust a translation to somebody who doesn\'t know what a CAT tool is or doesn\'t know how to do a search on the Internet. This is basic stuff and I\'m appalled by the lack of knowledge + the luddism. Paola, every right to be amazed by such blindness! My suggestion? The bin.

G

Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
French to English
A bit harsh, Giovanni... Jul 30, 2002

Quote:

Yes, but this is not what being a translator means these days! I remember 1993 using WordPerfect on my 286, but since then with the net everything has changed. Come on! I would never entrust a translation to somebody who doesn\'t know what a CAT tool is or doesn\'t know how to do a search on the Internet. This is basic stuff and I\'m appalled by the lack of knowledge + the luddism. Paola, every right to be amazed by such blindness! My... See more
Quote:

Yes, but this is not what being a translator means these days! I remember 1993 using WordPerfect on my 286, but since then with the net everything has changed. Come on! I would never entrust a translation to somebody who doesn\'t know what a CAT tool is or doesn\'t know how to do a search on the Internet. This is basic stuff and I\'m appalled by the lack of knowledge + the luddism. Paola, every right to be amazed by such blindness! My suggestion? The bin.

Actually, this is not basic knowledge, although it may seem like that to us, and there are translators who still prefer to work with paper dictionaries and word processors. Some are perhaps just intimidated by software and the Internet and won\'t even venture to try it.

In 1998, when I worked at an agency and was responsible for recruiting freelancers, I received a typewritten (yes, that\'s right, typewritten!) letter (by mail) from a translator offering his services in 10 languages, all directions! I faxed him a small questionnaire asking for his native language, e-mail address, etc. Under e-mail address, he wrote his postal address! He hadn\'t even heard of e-mail. Needless to say, his services were never called upon, considering that translations were sent and received by e-mail, and he didn\'t even have e-mail.

That\'s what I would call the dark ages, but not someone who hasn\'t heard of a CAT tool. Some translators might not even need one. Have you ever thought of that?

Erika

Collapse

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Enough already! Don't you people have work to do? Jul 30, 2002

Re the posting:

... See more
Re the posting:

Kind of harsh aren\'t you? I have not yet purchased a CAT tool. Why? Well, for the last several years I have been translating 800,000 words a year (at those great Canadian rates), and frankly, I don\'t have the time, or obviously, the need for CAT tools. The Internet? I spend my day toggling between various sites pertaining to the work I\'m doing that day, Google and other search engines, and my documents, soc clearly I\'m not a techno-idiot yet. Call me a Luddite if you want but the fact is, I\'m turning work away, and from what I\'ve seen lately, there are far too many translators relying much too heavily on CAT tools to translate for them, with predictable results, rather than using them as management tools. Do I plan to look into CAT tools? Definitely, but right now my attention is on providing my clients with the best translations and service I can. I think its working.
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:46
German to Italian
+ ...
Agree with PaulaMac Jul 31, 2002

I think she is spot on.

b bye

Antonella

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are Canadian translators taking full advantage of technologies available?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »