Publicly accessible translation memories (TMs)

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com translation industry wiki » "Publicly accessible translation memories (TMs)".
You can see the ProZ.com translation industry wiki page and participate in this discussion from there.

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:10
English to Portuguese
Linguee.com - Search millions of sentences translated by other people. Oct 13, 2010

What is Linguee?

With Linguee, you can search many millions of bilingual texts for words and expressions. Every expression is accompanied by useful additional information and suitable example sentences.
What is the benefit?
When you translate texts to a foreign language, you usually look for common phrases rather than translations of single words. With its intelligent search and the significantly larger amount of stored text content, Linguee is the right tool for this task.
... See more
What is Linguee?

With Linguee, you can search many millions of bilingual texts for words and expressions. Every expression is accompanied by useful additional information and suitable example sentences.
What is the benefit?
When you translate texts to a foreign language, you usually look for common phrases rather than translations of single words. With its intelligent search and the significantly larger amount of stored text content, Linguee is the right tool for this task. You find:

* In which context a translation is used
* How frequent a particular translation is
* Example sentences: How other people translated an expression

By searching not only for a single word, but for a respective word in its context, you can easily find a translation that fits optimal in the respective context. With its large number of entries, Linguee often retrieves translations of rare terms that you don't find anywhere else.

http://www.linguee.com/english-portuguese/page/about.php
Collapse

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:10
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Linguee Oct 13, 2010

... can be very useful, indeed. I've tried it myself several times.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:10
SITE FOUNDER
I'll add Linguee to the body of the wiki article Oct 13, 2010

Thanks. Feel free to edit the wiki directly, that's how it works...

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
best for translations into a foreign language Oct 14, 2010

Hello,
I also occasionally use linguee.de, but would like to emphasize that is is most helpful when translating into a foreign language.

The results of linguee.de (at least de>en) are often not very reliable compared to a decent dictionary; but, when the results are good, linguee.de offers a lot more help in correctly using the term or phrase in the target language. This is a major issue when translating into a non-native language. (On the other hand, linguee.de tends to reinf
... See more
Hello,
I also occasionally use linguee.de, but would like to emphasize that is is most helpful when translating into a foreign language.

The results of linguee.de (at least de>en) are often not very reliable compared to a decent dictionary; but, when the results are good, linguee.de offers a lot more help in correctly using the term or phrase in the target language. This is a major issue when translating into a non-native language. (On the other hand, linguee.de tends to reinforce typical errors of non-native translators.)

If the linguee.de results are then checked against a specialized or general monolingual dictionary or, better yet, against genuine parallel texts (vs. the translated texts offered by linguee.de) with a Google regional search or by other means, then it is a good tool.

Sincerely,
Michael

PS: My main concern is that
Collapse

Lisa McCarthy
Lisa McCarthy  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reliability of Linguee Feb 29, 2012

I agree with Michael.
Linguee is useful sometimes, but remember that these are just translations done by other people, some good and some bad - you really need to be able to tell the difference. It's worth taking a look at the quality of some of the rest of the text, not just the phrase or word that you're looking for.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OPUS Feb 29, 2012

You left out the most important one, OPUS.
I tried adding it but some sort of login is required, and frankly, I won't bother with that.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Stephen Reader
Stephen Reader
German to English
Translationese to be taken with care Jun 7, 2012

Absolutely agree with Michael and Lisa. Linguee a resource of both inspired and risible/pitfall solutions; cueing "+wikipedia" with a search term in one of the pop. search engines in source & then target lang. (if there is one) is often more fruitful (though not every Wik. article is native-language either); & often a good point of departure for further, respective native-lang. links.

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Which ones can be used directly in CAT tools? Aug 1, 2013

They are all great as an external searches, but maybe it could be good to identify which of these can be used directly as TMs in CAT tools. It seems that MyMemory can be used in most tools.

[Edited at 2013-08-01 05:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Publicly accessible translation memories (TMs)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »