Bug: Service Type search gives inconsistent results?
Autor vlákna: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Švédsko
Local time: 11:19
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
Sep 5, 2007

Hi all,

I did submit this as a support ticket, but I wanted to know if others had the same problem.

I'm searching for subtitlers in the Proz freelancer directory.
On the search page, I can select Service Type - there are 7 alternatives that I can pick.
Note that Subtitling is not available in this drop-down menu, so I select Transcription.

When the results come up, some freelancers have Subtitling listed as their Service Type, although this alte
... See more
Hi all,

I did submit this as a support ticket, but I wanted to know if others had the same problem.

I'm searching for subtitlers in the Proz freelancer directory.
On the search page, I can select Service Type - there are 7 alternatives that I can pick.
Note that Subtitling is not available in this drop-down menu, so I select Transcription.

When the results come up, some freelancers have Subtitling listed as their Service Type, although this alternative didn't exist in the drop-down menu!
But even worse: the results are inconsistent, since many names in the search result don't have neither Transcription nor Subtitling mentioned as service type. So why are they shown at all in my search?

Is this a bug or a misfeature?

Best regards,

Jan
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
němčina -> angličtina
Why are you "Not Available?" Sep 6, 2007

Dear Jan,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your specific problem.

One piece of advice, though: I think you should change your user name, or even use your real name.

When I saw "Not Available" on the list of forum posts, it looked like it had something to do with the forum not being visible. It could be misleading, if you know what I mean..

Best regards,
Niraja

Jan Sundström
Švédsko
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
"wrong" service type shown in profile Sep 6, 2007

Hi all,

Proz staff explained the problem for me:
the member can summarize their service types in two different ways: either per language, or a general summarization at the top of the profile - or both!

But it gets extremely confusing when these two "service type lists" don't correspond.

When I open the profiles, I get the impression of a "false match" since, it's not displayed anywhere on the profile page whether this member can do transcription or no
... See more
Hi all,

Proz staff explained the problem for me:
the member can summarize their service types in two different ways: either per language, or a general summarization at the top of the profile - or both!

But it gets extremely confusing when these two "service type lists" don't correspond.

When I open the profiles, I get the impression of a "false match" since, it's not displayed anywhere on the profile page whether this member can do transcription or not!

I strongly suggest that Proz should redesign the view of the profile, so that the service type (per language?!) is shown properly, instead of an alternative summarization which doesn't reflect properly what's available.

Jan

[Edited at 2007-09-06 16:22]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Švédsko
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
A sidenote... Sep 7, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

One piece of advice, though: I think you should change your user name, or even use your real name.

When I saw "Not Available" on the list of forum posts, it looked like it had something to do with the forum not being visible. It could be misleading, if you know what I mean..

Hi Niraja,

Yep, I realize that. My employer asked me to take down my profile from Proz, so I had to make myself a bit harder to find. Sorry about that!

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug: Service Type search gives inconsistent results?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »