Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2007

Found on Proz.com
"Note:It is recommended that you reduce the number of
working language pairs in your profile to a maximum of five (5).
"In the future, working pairs in excess of 8 (or 5 for non-paying members) will be removed from profiles"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proz.com considers Dutch and Flemish as two different languages. My source-languages are English, French, German, Spanish and Italian into Dutch and
... See more
Found on Proz.com
"Note:It is recommended that you reduce the number of
working language pairs in your profile to a maximum of five (5).
"In the future, working pairs in excess of 8 (or 5 for non-paying members) will be removed from profiles"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proz.com considers Dutch and Flemish as two different languages. My source-languages are English, French, German, Spanish and Italian into Dutch and Flemish (same language).
As a consequence, if I mention those "different languages" in my profile, I will reach the limit Proz.com is going to impose.
Translating the other way, say from Dutch into English or French will be totally out of the question as I will reach the maximum number of language-combinations allowed.
Is this restriction a good idea?

[Edited at 2007-08-13 07:28]
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I have a similar problem Sep 16, 2007

I translate from English, Spanish, French, German and Dutch/Flemish into Spanish and English.

If we consider Dutch and Flemish one single language, I have 8 language combinations, otherwise I have 10.

I can understand that there is a wish to limit abuses by freelancers who also have an agency. Similarly, I would be skeptic if somebody has four or five different target languages, because it is difficult to believe that one can properly speak those languages at "native" l
... See more
I translate from English, Spanish, French, German and Dutch/Flemish into Spanish and English.

If we consider Dutch and Flemish one single language, I have 8 language combinations, otherwise I have 10.

I can understand that there is a wish to limit abuses by freelancers who also have an agency. Similarly, I would be skeptic if somebody has four or five different target languages, because it is difficult to believe that one can properly speak those languages at "native" level, but only two?

For us who do NOT have an agency but are so lucky as to be able to speak fluently so many languages but do not pretent to be able to translated to every target language there is this means being hurt in our pocket...

I would suggest to place a limit to the number of source languages (6-7 is possibly right) and a limit on the target languages (2-3), but not limit the number of possible combinations...

[Editado a las 2007-09-17 18:38]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restriction on the number of language combinations in your profile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »