Image upload for KudoZ
Thread poster: halifax
halifax
halifax
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2007

Hi everybody!

I feel there's something missing in this website and I wonder if I'm the first translator to point it out (I joined Proz just 4 months ago).

Why can't we upload images? I mean, as we're often confronted with pictures, diagrams, etc. showing something we just cannot work out (mechanical compontents, clothing details, etc.), it's a pity we can't upload those images and show everybody else what our problem looks like. Saying 'it looks like this and that' isn
... See more
Hi everybody!

I feel there's something missing in this website and I wonder if I'm the first translator to point it out (I joined Proz just 4 months ago).

Why can't we upload images? I mean, as we're often confronted with pictures, diagrams, etc. showing something we just cannot work out (mechanical compontents, clothing details, etc.), it's a pity we can't upload those images and show everybody else what our problem looks like. Saying 'it looks like this and that' isn't often clear enough and a visual aid would help us much more than words.

I don't know whether this is viable from a technical point of view: if it isn't, just tell me!

I hope my suggestion may help.

[Edited at 2007-04-14 18:06]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Image upload, where? Apr 14, 2007

Hello Halifax,

First, please note that I have moved your topic to "Proz.com suggestions" forum. However, it is not very clear which site area you are referring to - I suspect it is Kudoz, though. You may want to clarify it and edit your title accordingly, so that your suggestion can attract the staff attention it deserves

Regards,
Özden

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 00:46
English to Spanish
It is viable... Apr 14, 2007

You can upload images here, on the Forum.
If you mean KudoZ, you can put an Internet link of the image, like everybody else.

Regards,

halifax
halifax
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Apr 14, 2007

I'm sorry, I realised my topic needed moving when it was too late, so I asked a moderator if he could do it it but you were quicker than him!

Yes, I was talking about Kudoz indeed and I've changed the title accordingly.

I was referring to pictures included in source texts that are not online, so we cannot use links (sometimes we're given images showing something it's not in the Internet). We could digiti
... See more
I'm sorry, I realised my topic needed moving when it was too late, so I asked a moderator if he could do it it but you were quicker than him!

Yes, I was talking about Kudoz indeed and I've changed the title accordingly.

I was referring to pictures included in source texts that are not online, so we cannot use links (sometimes we're given images showing something it's not in the Internet). We could digitise them with a scanner (from paper copies) or copy and paste them (from files), but in both cases users should first be allowed to upload images along with standard (i.e. word-based) Kudoz questions. I think this would improve this site hugely, but I'm not quite sure it is feasible.
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
halifax has a point Apr 14, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:
If you mean KudoZ, you can put an Internet link of the image, like everybody else.

If it is in the Internet. If it isn't, one must first find some place to upload it to.
Having the ability to upload it somehow with a Kudoz question would make things easier.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree Apr 14, 2007

Yes it would be nice to be able to upload images directly to KudoZ. In the EnglishRussian pair I often see people asking for help because they cannot decipher someone's poor handwriting (like in medical notes/certificates which in Russian are often written by hand), and not everyone here is advanced enough technically to know how to use free web hostings etc.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Good suggestion Apr 15, 2007

This has been suggested before and it is a good idea. This is included in our list of to-dos. It requires some tinking, such as allowing answerers to opt for not viewing the images (due for instance to bandwith limitation).

Thanks again and best regards,
Enrique

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not send it to your domain Apr 16, 2007

You can make a folder on your domain for such images, send the image there and put a link to it in your Kudoz question.
Cheers
Heinrich

halifax
halifax
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google system Apr 17, 2007

Enrique wrote:

This has been suggested before and it is a good idea. This is included in our list of to-dos. It requires some tinking, such as allowing answerers to opt for not viewing the images (due for instance to bandwith limitation).

Thanks again and best regards,
Enrique

So I'm not the first one!
It's good idea to allow answerers to view them or not. Maybe you could create some sort of folder system (i.e. extra pages with links: see Heinrich's post) within ProZ. In this way answerers could decide whether to click on the link displayed in the word-based KudoZ question page or not.

I was thinking about Google image search frames, in other words displaying just this (the image alone) when clicking on the link:
http://www.projectnorthstar.ca/northstarprimer/figure/north_star_exploded_sharp.png
instead of something like this (the whole page, that's to say image+Kudoz question):
http://www.projectnorthstar.ca/northstarprimer/ch03s03.html

That's just a hint, there are probably better solutions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Image upload for KudoZ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »