Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you work on material which you suspect may be used for illegal activities?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2022

Yes, how am I supposed to know how customers will use my translation? Then I am here to run a business, not to judge the others!

[Modificato alle 2022-05-16 07:28 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tricky... May 16, 2022

One can split hairs about this in many ways. Here's one: I translate a video game whose terms of service clearly state that you have to be 18 or older to play the game. Will under-18s see my translation? Of course. Will the client prevent my translation from being seen by under-18s? Of course not. We can be 100% certain that any video game that is illegal for under-18s to play will be played by many under-18s, even in countries where it is illegal for the video game company to serve the ga... See more
One can split hairs about this in many ways. Here's one: I translate a video game whose terms of service clearly state that you have to be 18 or older to play the game. Will under-18s see my translation? Of course. Will the client prevent my translation from being seen by under-18s? Of course not. We can be 100% certain that any video game that is illegal for under-18s to play will be played by many under-18s, even in countries where it is illegal for the video game company to serve the game to such players.Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
I must confess... May 16, 2022

I recentlly had to translate subtitles for three videos from a really weird cult. Can't say they're involved in anything that's criminal, they claim all the science in the world supports what they teach, and they will give the world all the energy it needs as soon as they launch their equipment that's already been developed. So, maybe this post is a bit off-top, they are actually good guys, but somehow, I kept feeling huge misgivings about that job. I refused at first and quoted a high rate in c... See more
I recentlly had to translate subtitles for three videos from a really weird cult. Can't say they're involved in anything that's criminal, they claim all the science in the world supports what they teach, and they will give the world all the energy it needs as soon as they launch their equipment that's already been developed. So, maybe this post is a bit off-top, they are actually good guys, but somehow, I kept feeling huge misgivings about that job. I refused at first and quoted a high rate in case I do get involved (I'm employed full time, so freelance projects are a pain in the behind for me). The agency couldn't find anyone else who felt up to taking that job, so they came back to me. It was hard, those guys had their own language, didn't care to explain what their words meant, tried their best to leave as much unsaid as possible, and kept jumping from topic to topic in a most erratic manner. I can't imagine anyone with a few gray cells who, after watching their videos, would want to know more, not to mention becoming one of them (although I must admit that some flying saucer chasers might find their content interesting). So happy that job is done, and hoping they won't send anything else my wayCollapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Illegal activities? May 17, 2022

Denis, good luck on getting paid for this dystopic project. Perhaps they will send payment from outer space.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Illegal activities? May 17, 2022

Denis, you said these are "really good guys". Shikarniye parni" can sometimes turn into "sukiny synovya".

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, no problems there May 17, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Denis, good luck on getting paid for this dystopic project. Perhaps they will send payment from outer space.

I already got paid in full; actually, I've never had non-paying customers (I was even paid for a project I failed to finish a long time ago). Wasn't quite worth the money though, despite the rate being high. I had three weekends wasted on that thing, and it was really tiring. On the positive side, now I know that we'll have all our energy problems resolved in no time and planet Earth will be saved in even more important ways and won't have to abort us while our galaxy embarks on the next rotation cycle, which will surely happen if those guys don't fix things for us (and no, I wasn't serious when talking about something I suspected was criminal, just a fun true story to liven up the thread)

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Serbian to English
+ ...
Yet another poll question May 17, 2022

dreamed up by someone blissfully unaware that 99% of people on this site are not some local business limited to local customers.

A pretty typical situation would be a translator living in a country A, working for a client from a country B on some document intended for a country C.

In which country is a text to translate supposed to be "possibly illegal"? In all of them, in one of them, in at least two of them? And if the country C is unknown (there are plenty of English
... See more
dreamed up by someone blissfully unaware that 99% of people on this site are not some local business limited to local customers.

A pretty typical situation would be a translator living in a country A, working for a client from a country B on some document intended for a country C.

In which country is a text to translate supposed to be "possibly illegal"? In all of them, in one of them, in at least two of them? And if the country C is unknown (there are plenty of English / French / Spanish / Arabic speaking countries) is the translator supposed to check the legislation of all countries where there are some possible target audiences?

Take just one example: the text looks like a possible collusion in price fixing on an international scale. Is the translator supposed to decide before any court said anything that it's illegal and refuse to translate the text?

You could find plenty more other situations where the question as asked makes little sense.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
poll questions May 17, 2022

It appears that most of the poll questions are ambiguous, probably on purpose, with the intent of getting people to engage in a discussion on ProZ.com.

expressisverbis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Serbian to English
+ ...
Maybe ... May 18, 2022

MollyRose wrote:

It appears that most of the poll questions are ambiguous, probably on purpose, with the intent of getting people to engage in a discussion on ProZ.com.

Maybe... You surely can always relabel "too vague / not fully thought through" as "ambiguous on purpose", but I think it's a very generous interpretation.

I don't see why a clearly defined question would generate less debate.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you work on material which you suspect may be used for illegal activities?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »