Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does the strong euro impact your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Positively Jul 10, 2008

With the euro much stronger than my own currency, clients in Spain can now afford me and I've picked up a lot of business. (Translators aren't generally paid very well in Spain, but the uneven exchange rate has served as a temporary equalizing factor in my case.)

I just hope some of these clients stick with me if the dollar and euro become closer in value again. Clearly they're happy with my work.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Very negatively Jul 11, 2008

Living in France and originally working mainly with US clients, the impact of the very weak dollar versus Euro is a catastroph. Can you imagine, only one second, that my usual US clients may accept (and may have the financial ressources to accept) that my "normal" rate of USD 0.13 becomes USD 0.20 ? They cannot follow. On the other hand, if I keep my "old" rate of USD 0.13, I receive only Euros 0.08, and I can't pay the most basic professional expenses.
So, I'm trying to find clients only
... See more
Living in France and originally working mainly with US clients, the impact of the very weak dollar versus Euro is a catastroph. Can you imagine, only one second, that my usual US clients may accept (and may have the financial ressources to accept) that my "normal" rate of USD 0.13 becomes USD 0.20 ? They cannot follow. On the other hand, if I keep my "old" rate of USD 0.13, I receive only Euros 0.08, and I can't pay the most basic professional expenses.
So, I'm trying to find clients only in Europe and losing my US clients.
Catherine
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Impossible for Americans Aug 11, 2008

By now I imagine it's impossible for any American outsourcer to find a translator based in Europe. The exchange rates are impossible.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does the strong euro impact your business?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »