Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you decide when to take days off?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:04
English to Greek
+ ...
Other-family reasons Jun 13, 2008

As my husband is in the teaching sector, he and my daughter start pestering me around Christmas, Easter and of course in the summer. It is hard not to give in but it depends on my workload = v. conscientious /. We usually have our Saturday off and we spend it on day trips, as the weather is almost always permitting. Also during summer, we sometimes go camping to one... See more
As my husband is in the teaching sector, he and my daughter start pestering me around Christmas, Easter and of course in the summer. It is hard not to give in but it depends on my workload = v. conscientious /. We usually have our Saturday off and we spend it on day trips, as the weather is almost always permitting. Also during summer, we sometimes go camping to one of the nearby islands from Friday afternoon till Sunday evening. And we take one or two weeks off and go to cooler places, much needed indeed! (the cool, I mean).

Best
Lilia
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hobbies=holidays Jun 13, 2008

I rarely if ever take a whole day off. I’m probably doing some work related activity 7 days a week. However, I do always find time for relaxing hobbies like walking, cycling, etc. Living less than an hour from the Mediterranean also makes it easy to disconnect by spending an afternoon at the beach. Just getting away from the computer and doing something for awhile that I find interesting is all the holiday I need.

This year though, I do have a have a “holiday” planned for the
... See more
I rarely if ever take a whole day off. I’m probably doing some work related activity 7 days a week. However, I do always find time for relaxing hobbies like walking, cycling, etc. Living less than an hour from the Mediterranean also makes it easy to disconnect by spending an afternoon at the beach. Just getting away from the computer and doing something for awhile that I find interesting is all the holiday I need.

This year though, I do have a have a “holiday” planned for the first couple of weeks of September. I’ve signed up to participate in an archaeological dig over on the coast. It’s a two-week course to excavate and study the remains of an Iberian settlement (the people who lived in Spain before Greek and Roman colonization). Two weeks of moving rocks and sand should make me more than happy to get back to the daily grind.
Collapse

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
A combination of two Jun 13, 2008

I take off French national holidays (there are quite a few!) unless I have a really heavy workload in which case I will be at my desk.

Overall, I take 3 to 4 weeks holiday a year although last year I actually think I took less...

All work, no play, oh dear!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
Spanish to English
School holidays (so I voted other) Jun 13, 2008

School holidays (so I voted other) and in summer that usually isn't a problem, as nobody seems to do any work in Spain in August....

[Edited at 2008-06-13 08:38]

Beatriz Pérez
Beatriz Pérez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
on national holiday where I live Jun 13, 2008

Hi everybody,

I try to go on holidays in August. In Spain, it's a very calm month because it is really hot and I don't have so much work (nobody seems to work in August...)

But i'm quite flexible with weekends and public holidays, depending on the work I have and the deadlines.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you decide when to take days off?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »