Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Any other Italian translators having a quiet period?
Thread poster: Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2021

For the past 3 weeks or so, my work has completely dried up. I normally plenty of receive assignments from around five different agencies, but all of a sudden is went dead silent. I'm an IT>EN translator. Has Italy shut shop for the summer or something? I don't remember it being quite this quiet in previous summers...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Deleted post.
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not only in Italy Jul 6, 2021

Jobs are like the weather, they come and go. Had a absolute great June, July till sofar is quiet, but hey, the month has just started!

LIZ LI
P.L.F. Persio

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
My advice... Jul 7, 2021

...is to provide a quality service and increase your rates.
If your rates are "Italian to English - Rates: 0.04 - 0.06 EUR per word" as it says in your profile, the agencies imposing these rates are always looking for someone cheaper and faster (which will ultimately be a machine working for free), rather than someone who's good. The same goes for the clients of those agencies who will always be looking for a cheaper deal and are not bothered about quality; if "your clients" are always sho
... See more
...is to provide a quality service and increase your rates.
If your rates are "Italian to English - Rates: 0.04 - 0.06 EUR per word" as it says in your profile, the agencies imposing these rates are always looking for someone cheaper and faster (which will ultimately be a machine working for free), rather than someone who's good. The same goes for the clients of those agencies who will always be looking for a cheaper deal and are not bothered about quality; if "your clients" are always shopping around for the cheapest deal, don't expect to retain many with low rates.

Bethany Kachura wrote:
I normally plenty of receive assignments from around five different agencies, but all of a sudden is went dead silent.

I've been working solidly all year at twice those rates. July is a bit slow so far but it's a weird year due to pandemic uncertainty and everything. All the same there is well-paid work out there. I turn down job offers almost every day, such as the PEMT job for €0.11/word yesterday.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington

Kathryn Britton
Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Same here Jul 7, 2021

Like the others, I have seen a slight drop off in July but coming out of two manic months, I am almost relieved. Feast or famine is the name of the game ...and summer months in Italy are always unpredictable. Personally this year, for the first time ever, I have decided to take 2 weeks holiday in August - if the pandemic has taught me anything, it is to enjoy the downtime, and not obsess about being busy all the time. Hang in there - things will pick up... See more
Like the others, I have seen a slight drop off in July but coming out of two manic months, I am almost relieved. Feast or famine is the name of the game ...and summer months in Italy are always unpredictable. Personally this year, for the first time ever, I have decided to take 2 weeks holiday in August - if the pandemic has taught me anything, it is to enjoy the downtime, and not obsess about being busy all the time. Hang in there - things will pick upCollapse

P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Busy Jul 7, 2021

I had a very busy June, July seems a bit quieter, but not that much.

Bethany, probably many companies are already closed for the summer holidays or have still little work, and consequently fewer translation jobs for us, due to the pandemic.

Sabrina

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post removed.
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Harsh... Jul 7, 2021

yes, it's a low rate, but from that to imply that the OP provides low quality is rather harsh. It seems like a quiet period to me. Do people here really believe that 5 agencies would completely disappear because all of a sudden and simultaneously they've realised she is providing low quality work?
And believe it or not, €0,06 is £0,05 and lots of people work at that rate in the UK. Not me, but it's not uncommon.

Rachel Waddington
Sam Tattam
Mohamad Alayoubi
P.L.F. Persio
Bethany Kachura
Adam Dickinson
writeaway

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
It happens Jul 7, 2021

Bethany Kachura wrote:

For the past 3 weeks or so, my work has completely dried up. I normally plenty of receive assignments from around five different agencies, but all of a sudden is went dead silent. I'm an IT>EN translator. Has Italy shut shop for the summer or something? I don't remember it being quite this quiet in previous summers...

Dry spells are part and parcel of being a freelancer. It's a good time to fit in some marketing, business planning or CPD. You can bet that as soon as you get engrossed in a project the work will come flooding in again.

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
July seems kind of odd so far Jul 7, 2021

One of my language pairs is totally dead and quiet. Another is suddenly surprisingly active.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very bad here Jul 7, 2021

I can't say anything about Italian translators (non abito in Italia) but here in Brazil things have been bad for years. We do get the occasional improvement but nowhere near what we need to pay our bills.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Improve your profile Jul 8, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

I can't say anything about Italian translators (non abito in Italia) but here in Brazil things have been bad for years. We do get the occasional improvement but nowhere near what we need to pay our bills.

I take it that you are talking of your very own personal situation, although the general situation may be bad in Brazil for translators of your language combination. But you are high-ranking in the proz directory because of your KudoZ points, and perhaps you should hone your profile a bit (with the help of some friends). I don't want to be offensive, but have a look into the below discussion (provided link) and draw your own conclusion:

https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/345337-have_you_ever_been_marginalized_because_of_your_occupational_status_as_a_translator-page5.html#2915780

Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved Jul 8, 2021

Well, I decided just to ask the agencies directly and turns out yes, they're just experiencing the quieter summer period. They say as soon as they have any jobs they'll send them to me. So I'm just going to enjoy the time off.

Thank you to those who (courteously) gave me advice and tried to help me suss this out.

Tony Keily

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any other Italian translators having a quiet period?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »