Thread poster: Jeremy Smith
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
Polish to English
+ ...
@Jerzy Nov 7, 2006

Nothing "wrong" with licenced software.

Most freeware doesn't care if your OS is legal or not. Microsoft's freeware makes sure (through WGA) you have paid for your copy of Windows, so it protects its interests that way.

I still maintain my view on IE - something isn't truly "free", if you must get it with a commercial piece of software and can't even throw it away.

Pawel

Igor Anikeev (X)
Igor Anikeev (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:22
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Express Titles Nov 7, 2006

Actually, Microsoft has been making a lot of tools free lately. Like Visual Studio Express titles, which used to be time-limited (1 year). Now they are free without the limit.

The Accounting thing lets you download itself, but from what I can see it's one currency only, which makes it kind of useless here (well, one could correct everything by hand, but it's not my idea of automation). So back to Excel.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:22
English to French
+ ...
SlimBrowser does NOT require IE Nov 7, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I don't understand how this example shows that Microsoft scammed you to start using a free software, get used to it and then have to pay for it. It only shows that Messenger probably requires IE for some of its features. SlimBrowser also requires IE and won't run without it - is it a scam too?

SlimBrowser does not require IE and never has. I know because I successfully removed IE on an older computer and was only using SlimBrowser - it worked without a problem.

Also, Messenger only needs a browser to display the Hotmail website and doesn't need any components specific to IE to do that. I can display my Hotmail account in SlimBrowser just as well as in IE. So, why can't I choose to open it with SB by default? Why is MS so reluctant to let me use what I want to use?

Finally, I was wrong about the beta part. Turns out this very same accounting software WAS beta until Halloween: http://connect.microsoft.com/officeaccountingbeta. It's just a little poor marketing that they don't mention on this site that they now have a free version available for download...

Lastly, here's a good example of using a free software for which they eventually charge for: MS Messenger Chat. I used to chat using Messenger, turns out now I have to pay for that. Goodbye foreign friends! And before anyone suggests that I keep in touch with those people using other free means - have you ever tried to move 50 people over to a different chat service? Yes, we can still mail and have Messenger conversations one-on-one - but gone are the times when we ALL found ourselves in the same chatroom at once. It's just not the same - and if I want to have that back, I have to pay, and so do the other 50 people. How much money does that account to?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Messenger is part of Windows XP, you do not need to buy this software extra Nov 7, 2006

So why do you have to pay for that? Or better asked, what do you have to pay for?

And AFAIK you are not able to get completly rid of Internet Explorer. You can deactivate it, but parts of this program remain in the system software.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Slimbrowser does require IE Nov 7, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
SlimBrowser does not require IE and never has. I know because I successfully removed IE on an older computer and was only using SlimBrowser - it worked without a problem.

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/
"System Requirements: Win95+IE4 is the minimum requirement. Win98+IE5 is recommended."

What may have happened in your case when you "removed" IE was that you removed a newer version of IE and your OS reverted back to the older version of IE without restoring its shortcuts -- so that the computer in question still has IE on it but IE is not shortcutted on the Desktop or the Start menu.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other freebies from MS Nov 7, 2006

Hi,

Just for the record, there are other nice applications you can get for free from Microsoft:

Developing tools:

Visual Basic Express, Visual C Express, SQL Express...

Admittedly, it's a way for Microsoft to induce people into using their developing languages and eventually buying the professional editions but, for now, they are free.

Emulation tools

Power PC, both the last release, 2004 and the beta of the new versi
... See more
Hi,

Just for the record, there are other nice applications you can get for free from Microsoft:

Developing tools:

Visual Basic Express, Visual C Express, SQL Express...

Admittedly, it's a way for Microsoft to induce people into using their developing languages and eventually buying the professional editions but, for now, they are free.

Emulation tools

Power PC, both the last release, 2004 and the beta of the new version, 2007, can be downloaded for free.

Again, marketing reasons behind this, most likely, but you can get very useful tools for free (if you have paid for your Windows, which I find reasonable) and without time limitations.

Daniel
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:22
English to French
+ ...
Messenger chat service and SB requiring IE Nov 7, 2006

I think, Samuel, you may be right. In any case, that has worked and I was happy it did. I have to add that to my maintenance list again. My new system still experiences IE weirdness sometimes...

To answer Jerzy's question or comment, the chat service in Messenger used to be free. Now, it isn't - although I don't remember how much they charge for it now. So, although I don't have to buy extra software because of this, I do have to pay money to be able to use a service that was once f
... See more
I think, Samuel, you may be right. In any case, that has worked and I was happy it did. I have to add that to my maintenance list again. My new system still experiences IE weirdness sometimes...

To answer Jerzy's question or comment, the chat service in Messenger used to be free. Now, it isn't - although I don't remember how much they charge for it now. So, although I don't have to buy extra software because of this, I do have to pay money to be able to use a service that was once free. And it was free for a long time, long enough to get "hooked" on it. Now, I'm on withdrawal syndrome

In any case, if we get back to the original topic, I am not about to use the MS accounting software any time soon, although I can imagine it will benefit others. I am still using Word 2000 - what a dinosaur! - and am only going to update when I will not have the choice anymore. I am happy with Office 2000 and I don't quite see the improvement in later versions. I actually have the impression that the software does pretty much what it already did with 2000, except that the menus are not the same and so you need to learn your software again, which is not interesting to me. I haven't tried the online Office 2007 trial, though...

As I don't satisfy the minimum requirements for the accounting software (Office XP minimum), I am not going to be able to use it. I am now forced to update if I want to take advantage of it... And I wonder...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Viktoria Nov 7, 2006

You might be interested in this new Windows Live Messenger http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

I´ve checked on test pages - it is a free software for free chating and it also oferr free Internet telephony, similar to Skype. There are no informations, that you would have to pay for any chat function. There are some special functions, which are not free - exactly as with Skype. This
... See more
You might be interested in this new Windows Live Messenger http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

I´ve checked on test pages - it is a free software for free chating and it also oferr free Internet telephony, similar to Skype. There are no informations, that you would have to pay for any chat function. There are some special functions, which are not free - exactly as with Skype. This is the recent version of the software you used previously as MSN Messenger.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
So you DO pay for it! Nov 8, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Messenger is part of Windows XP, you do not need to buy this software extra

So why do you have to pay for that? Or better asked, what do you have to pay for?

Dear Jerzy,

If it is part of Windows XP, everybody has to pay for it, with no choice of not buying it and getting XP for a lower price.
The costs for developping and maintaining (...) Messenger are of course included in the price for XP, which therefore should be cheaper if you coudl buy it without Messenger.

Kind regards,
Erik

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Micro$oft freeware accounting software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »