(Obvious) advantages of bilingualism
Thread poster: Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2003

From a reading list:

(1)Lambert, Wallace E. 1977. “The effects of bilingualism on the individual: Cognitive and sociocultural consequences.”

A combination of studies support the idea that bilingual children (as opposed to monolingual) show advantages in the domain of cognitive flexibility. Lambert urges the development of additive forms of bilingualism and biculturalism as a means of easing pressure on ethnic groups.

He presents four po
... See more
From a reading list:

(1)Lambert, Wallace E. 1977. “The effects of bilingualism on the individual: Cognitive and sociocultural consequences.”

A combination of studies support the idea that bilingual children (as opposed to monolingual) show advantages in the domain of cognitive flexibility. Lambert urges the development of additive forms of bilingualism and biculturalism as a means of easing pressure on ethnic groups.

He presents four possible effects of becoming bilingual which may play on the individual:

Identification with one\'s own cultural background

Identification with the host culture

View self as having dual allegiance; socially competent and accepted by both groups

View ethnic labeling and identification as irrelevant

Bilingualism/biculturalism is not synonymous with identity loss, and there are rewards in holding a dual heritage. To foster this condition, however, a strong educational exposure to one\'s mother tongue initially, and an additive bilingual program throughout schooling must exist. The ideas in this article are a natural progression from the foundational principles discussed in Cazden\'s article.

(2) Cazden, Courtney B., Joan C. Baratz, William Labov, and Francis H. Palmer. 1981. “Language development in day care programs.”

Early childhood daycare centers present the opportunity for children to learn about their own cultural identity while learning to respect that of others at the same time. Such centers can develop self-confidence and realistic attitudes in multilingual environments. Developing a respect for one\'s own identity requires exposure to one\'s mother tongue; this points to a need for teachers to be able to speak the child\'s language to allow for positive interaction. Linguistic differences between teacher and child have been known to contribute to social barriers.

3) Carranza, Michael A., and Ellen Bouchard Ryan. 1975. “Evaluative reactions of bilingual Anglo and Mexican adolescents toward speakers of English and Spanish.”

Bilingual education can influence language identity, as it stresses differing functions of each language (per Fishman\'s domains) and thus preserves the worth of each language. The prestige of the minority language is increased as it is shown to have worth in the areas of home, group identification, cultural maintenance, and solidarity. The dominant group can appreciate the value of the minority language in providing insights into that group.

http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/patches40/ErrataForLinguaLinksLibrary40/AnAnnotatedBibliographyOnTheRe.htm

Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:19
English
+ ...
Thanks Jacek Jan 24, 2003

You are a source of endless continuing education! Fond regards, Arthur

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
Thanks, Jacek! Jan 24, 2003

Please keep this kind of information coming...

Andrea

Jacek Krankowski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Andrea, Jan 24, 2003

any time and anything for a better world...

Cheers,

Jacek

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
Right on track Jan 24, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-24 13:46, jacek wrote:

At the risk of lowering the level of this forum , here\'s the first thing that comes to mind now, a song by Whitney Houston:

\"I believe the children are the future.

Teach them well then let them lead the way.

Show them a... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-24 13:46, jacek wrote:

At the risk of lowering the level of this forum , here\'s the first thing that comes to mind now, a song by Whitney Houston:

\"I believe the children are the future.

Teach them well then let them lead the way.

Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier.

Let the children\'s laughter remind us how it used to be.\"

On to a mom\'s approach (read: a practical approach) to bilingualism: have you heard of the Bilingual Families mailing list? A Prozie (I believe it was Karin Gartshore) gave me this tip, and I\'ve been lurking there while trying to decide how far to go with bilingualism with my kids (there\'s another Prozie on that list: Berni, remember I\'m reading you there!). The link to the list, with links to other interesting resources, is http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Enjoy (and share!)

Andrea

Collapse

Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Local time: 03:19
German to Swedish
+ ...
Interesting! Jan 24, 2003

Thanks. Definitely interesting, considering that my daughter soon will start to speak (she\'s approaching her first birthday), and hopefully she\'ll be completely bilingual (I speak only Swedish to her, and my wife German).

Best regards

Jonas

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
English to German
+ ...
My words, Jacek! Jan 24, 2003

The British Home Secretary, David Blunkett, should read this. He suggested Asian famlies living in Britain should speak more English at home.

The rumours that his Spanish and French colleagues want to introduce compulsary language tests for British second home owners in their countries haven\'t been confirmed yet

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Lagging behind Jan 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-24 16:24, OlafK wrote:

The British Home Secretary, David Blunkett, should read this. He suggested Asian famlies living in Britain should speak more English at home.

Putin in Russia have outscored all the meek democrats in the West, late last year Russian Duma ratified the law, stating that all nations within the Russian Federation (more than 70 of them, I think, practically m... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-24 16:24, OlafK wrote:

Putin in Russia have outscored all the meek democrats in the West, late last year Russian Duma ratified the law, stating that all nations within the Russian Federation (more than 70 of them, I think, practically most of them non slavic) have to use Russian alphabet (kirilitsa) while writing in their national languages.

I think it\'s just a good example how Russians observe human and nations rights, while rising pandemonium about right of Russian immigrants in neighbouring countries to know but Russian.

Uldis ▲ Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Thanks! Jan 25, 2003

There are so many common misconceptions about bilingualism (and childhood bilingualism in particular), thanks, Jacek, for helping to dispel them.

Quote:

... how I wish the entire population of Europe (and other parts of the world I know less of) would be bilingual!

Endre
<
... See more
There are so many common misconceptions about bilingualism (and childhood bilingualism in particular), thanks, Jacek, for helping to dispel them.

Quote:

... how I wish the entire population of Europe (and other parts of the world I know less of) would be bilingual!

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

Noel Castelino
Noel Castelino
French to English
That's the good news... Jan 25, 2003

... and I join the others in thanking you for it. But (just for the record) are there any disadvantages to bilingualism ?

Regards,

Noel Castelino

Jacek Krankowski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One drawback Jan 26, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-25 22:17, Ngmc wrote:

are there any disadvantages to bilingualism ?

I see one, i.e., the decreasing need for interpreters...

One example is apparently the European Council where practically all the heads of governments can freely communicate in English. So did, for instance, Giscard d\'Estaing and Helmut Schmidt who could agree on how to rule Europe in t... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-25 22:17, Ngmc wrote:

are there any disadvantages to bilingualism ?

I see one, i.e., the decreasing need for interpreters...

One example is apparently the European Council where practically all the heads of governments can freely communicate in English. So did, for instance, Giscard d\'Estaing and Helmut Schmidt who could agree on how to rule Europe in the late 1970s without our, i.e., interpreters\' help.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-26 21:46] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(Obvious) advantages of bilingualism

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »