Spanish/Mexican slang for "Hi"/"Bye"
Thread poster: Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 08:58
English to French
Jan 8, 2013

I am sorry in advance if this post is not appropriate, but I just don't know where to ask this question.

I'm subtitling a film for teletext and a character keeps saying a word in Spanish (she's Mexican) and it is translated in French as "Hi" at the beginning, and then by nothing. It's obvious it means "Hi" and "Bye"/"later". It sounds like she says "joj" (with the "j" pronounced the Spanish way, [x]).But I'm not a Spanish language expert, so my earring might be wrong.

... See more
I am sorry in advance if this post is not appropriate, but I just don't know where to ask this question.

I'm subtitling a film for teletext and a character keeps saying a word in Spanish (she's Mexican) and it is translated in French as "Hi" at the beginning, and then by nothing. It's obvious it means "Hi" and "Bye"/"later". It sounds like she says "joj" (with the "j" pronounced the Spanish way, [x]).But I'm not a Spanish language expert, so my earring might be wrong.

Can anyone tell me what this word is, how it is spelt ? I need to subtitle exactly this word, as I can't just write "She says a word in Spanish". That would look strange for teletext.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Please note that the file is for 9th January, so don't bother replying after this date.

Also, I can't put a French word because this character doesn't speak the language at all, only Spanish, and this is important for the story.

[Modifié le 2013-01-08 19:56 GMT]

[Modifié le 2013-01-08 20:38 GMT]
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:58
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Hopefully Jan 8, 2013

I will get an answer on time, I´ll ask my friend who has a Spanishspeaking husband.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hola Jan 8, 2013

Could it be "hola", a greeting used in Mexico and many other countries? However, it does not mean "bye". Mexicans may say "bye", however, plus numerous other expressions for either one.

To provide a definitive answer I'd have to hear it.

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hola? Jan 8, 2013

It really doesn't sound like "hola" and it wouldn't make sense in the context. It really looks like she means hi, bye and see you later.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Indigenous language Jan 8, 2013

This is a long shot, but is it possible that this word could from a native Mexican language?
For example, goodbye in Ixcatex is ha'uu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixcatec_language

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Indigenous language Jan 8, 2013

"according to the Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes, there were only 8 speakers of the language in 2008."

Well, if this word comes from this language, I hope one of these 8 speakers is an active proz member... !!!

Martina Fink
Martina Fink  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:58
German to English
Audio clip Jan 8, 2013

Is it possible for you to make an audio clip of this segment so we can hear it? Or could you give some more context? I'm sitting here in Mexico with my Mexican partner and we are both stumped!

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Audio clip Jan 8, 2013

Martina,

I can't have an audio clip because I can't make the software work for some reason. But I can send video samples (1 mo maximum) by email if you want.

Anyone can contact me directly through proz and I'll send the sample. It's only a few seconds long.

Thank you.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oops. Sorry. Good catch! Jan 8, 2013

Faustine Roux wrote:

"according to the Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes, there were only 8 speakers of the language in 2008."

Well, if this word comes from this language, I hope one of these 8 speakers is an active proz member... !!!

[Edited at 2013-01-08 23:33 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ciao? Jan 9, 2013

Could she possibly be saying "ciao"? I know that's Italian, not Spanish, but it's pretty universal nowadays and does mean both "hello" and "goodbye".
Just a thought.
Jenny

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
ciao ? Jan 9, 2013

Jenny, from what I hear in my headphones, it really doesn't sound like that.
No "s" sound or "tch".

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
chao Jan 9, 2013

Chao means bye. HTH.

Edit: Oh, I see there is no "ch" sound. I am stumped, too.

[Edited at 2013-01-09 00:58 GMT]

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Case closed Jan 9, 2013

Thank you everyone for your help.

Thanks to Martina, the mystery is solved: the actress actually tries to say "Bonjour" (Hi in French), but with such a thick accent I didn't get it !

Thanks again.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Target audience Jan 9, 2013

Depends who is going to be watching the show. I mean, is it aimed at Jersey or Geordie shore, or Downton Abbey viewers?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish/Mexican slang for "Hi"/"Bye"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »