Thread poster: Elizabeth Kelly
Elizabeth Kelly
Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
Local time: 03:32
English to German
+ ...
Oct 4, 2012

I am stuck translating a 10-page document written entirely in reported speech. While I understand the concpt of "indeirekte Rede" in German, some of these sentences are just too messy. I was wondering if anyone had ever come accross a site or link explaining exactly how to transfer English "reported speech" to German "indirekte Rede". For example: 1) This would guarantee that both departments had been involved and were talking to each other.
or 2) The participants had also requested, in th
... See more
I am stuck translating a 10-page document written entirely in reported speech. While I understand the concpt of "indeirekte Rede" in German, some of these sentences are just too messy. I was wondering if anyone had ever come accross a site or link explaining exactly how to transfer English "reported speech" to German "indirekte Rede". For example: 1) This would guarantee that both departments had been involved and were talking to each other.
or 2) The participants had also requested, in the interests of clarity, to be given a complete schedule.

Help please! Deadline is tomorrow morning and I am starting to loose my sanity
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:32
German to Swedish
+ ...
Nouns Oct 4, 2012

You could rewrite it with nouns. Not elegant or subtle, but it does the job.

1) Dadurch wäre die Einbeziehung beider Abteilungen sowie eine gegenseitige Kontaktaufnahme gewährleistet.

Something like that.

(Or perhaps "Dadurch sei", if this really is a report of what some person says.)

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-04 15:03 GMT]

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Is the document minutes of a discussion? Oct 4, 2012

In which case, German tends to use the present tense (I know because I have to do quite a lot of explaining that we don't use the present in English,a s far as I can tell).

Elizabeth Kelly
Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
Local time: 03:32
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Oct 4, 2012

David, it's minutes of a plenary meeting. That's why I actually have to leave it as "reported speech". In German, there is a difference between the private (informal) speech and the public (formal) speech. In the private speech, you leave the tense as is, but in formal documents (such as minutes and reports) you have to use the "Konjunktiv". It's usually not a problem but when the sentences contain conditional clauses etc., my head starts spinning ... See more
David, it's minutes of a plenary meeting. That's why I actually have to leave it as "reported speech". In German, there is a difference between the private (informal) speech and the public (formal) speech. In the private speech, you leave the tense as is, but in formal documents (such as minutes and reports) you have to use the "Konjunktiv". It's usually not a problem but when the sentences contain conditional clauses etc., my head starts spinning

[Edited at 2012-10-04 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I'll try ... Oct 4, 2012

1) Dies würde den Einbezug beider Abteilungen und die Kommunikation zwischen ihnen gewährleisten.

2) Aus Gründen der Klarheit hätten die Teilnehmer zudem einen vollständigen Zeitplan verlangt.

Substantivierung ist eine gute, wenn auch wenig elegante Möglichkeit (wie Joakim schon sagte). Als Regel gilt: Konjunktiv I verwenden und wenn dieser die gleiche Form hat wie der Indikativ die Würde-Form verwenden.

Viel Spass!
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grammar: Reported speech (indirekte Rede) reference

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »