Thread poster: PB Trans
PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 01:59
French to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2004

spenny:
Pricey; short for "expensive." (Sure I like that place, but it's kinda spenny.)

NUMP/NUWT:
Obnoxious party-invite acronyms, as in No Ugly Men, Please/No Ugly Women, Thanks.

e-mauling:
Stalking someone via e-mail.

guyatus:
A hiatus from guys. (Thanks, but no thanks. I'm kind of on guyatus.)

scum:
Self-Centered Urban Male. Know any?

fifty-footer:
Someone who looks really attractive fro
... See more
spenny:
Pricey; short for "expensive." (Sure I like that place, but it's kinda spenny.)

NUMP/NUWT:
Obnoxious party-invite acronyms, as in No Ugly Men, Please/No Ugly Women, Thanks.

e-mauling:
Stalking someone via e-mail.

guyatus:
A hiatus from guys. (Thanks, but no thanks. I'm kind of on guyatus.)

scum:
Self-Centered Urban Male. Know any?

fifty-footer:
Someone who looks really attractive from 50 feet away. Closer examination reveals ...

KISS:
Keep It Simple, Stupid.

helicopter girl/boyfriend
(n.) A significant other who finds it necessary to hover around his or her mate at all times. ("I'd love to come to girls' night, but my helicopter probably won't let me out of his sight.")

blamestorming
(n.) A meeting whose sole purpose is to discuss why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

mouse potato
(n.) The wired generation's answer to the couch potato.

karat dangler
(n.) A woman who finds it of utmost importance to flaunt her engagement/wedding ring at all times. ("Who does that karat dangler think she's impressing? Like I've never seen a rock before.")

resigoo:
(n.) The residual stuff stuck to you after a bikini wax.

crappuccino:
A poorly made coffee beverage that cost upwards of four dollars.

smellibacy:
A state of involuntary celibacy brought on by bad hygiene. (Jake has only himself to blame. His three-year dry spell is a clear case of smellibacy.)

puppy stuff:
Euphemism for the goo that collects in the corner of one's eye, esp. after sleeping.

bust bust:
To be busted by your significant other for staring at another woman's breasts.

tart fuel:
Girlie drinks. e.g., cosmos, kirs, or anything that tastes like Kool-Aid.

phone zit:
The recurring chin zit that results from spending too much time on the phone.

BIN:
Acronym for "booger in nose." Used to covertly ask a friend "Do I have a bin?"

yellular:
The loudness one adopts in response to a bad cell-phone connection, in the misguided hope that talking louder will improve the connection. (I'm so embarrassed. I went totally yellular at a restaurant last night.)

"He's a lot of yabba dabba and not a lot of do."
Used to refer to someone who is all talk and no action.

"I smoke O.P.'s."
As in "I smoke other people's cigarettes." While you know how we feel about smoking, it's nice to see the chronic moocher have a sense of humor about it and 'fess up to her bad habit.

"Mitin"
More information than I needed.

"I have that T-shirt."
Been there, done that.

And our personal favorite, a new support group started by a dear, dear friend. . .

F.L.A.C.I.D.
Pronounced "flaccid." Acronym for Failed Lovers Against Caller ID. Don't say you haven't been there. We all have.

Girleen (n): 1. A young sassy woman. Also used as a term of affection for a good friend: "Hey, girleen, you are an inspiration to us all."

Swish (adj): 1. Very suave, smooth, or cool: "Wow, you're looking awfully swish this eve," or "Wow, I saw Amy last night, and, gee, she was so swish in her fantastic shoes!"

Shoppings (n): 1. The product amassed from a day out at the shops. (A term discovered at Fifth Avenue and 56th Street on a recent summer day amid of gaggle of tourists. Woman, holding up Barneys bag: "Babette! Look at my shoppings!")

Mwah (v): 1. A sound uttered in protest (when "waaahhh" becomes too whiny). 2. A kissing sound, most commonly used at the close of a letter in lieu of "xoxoxoxo."

Skew-wiff (adj): 1. All messy, disheveled. Colloquial British term somehow derived from "askew" (pronounced Skeeeeewiff): "Her hair was all skew-wiff; she looked like she'd just woken up."

Intie (n.):
1. The intimacy flu. Usually occurs 2 to 3 weeks into a budding dating relationship. Symptoms include unreturned phone calls, "mistakenly" deleted e-mails, and sleeping on far edge of the bed.
Stray (n.):
1. A heterosexual male who everyone secretly thinks is gay.
Tine-gid-ish?:
1. Very fast, slurred word designated for asking the question "What time is it?" when one is just too darn busy to enunciate.
Flossin' (v.):
1. To drive around in a nice car with the top down. 2. Generally living large; living life well. 3. That sexy activity endorsed by dental hygienists and other anal-retentive folk. (Just kidding! We floss regularly).

D.I.T. (n.):
1. A diva-in-training. (No further explanation necessary. You know who you are).

Source: http://www.dailycandy.com
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Feels like home! Mar 7, 2004

Thank you! Thank you!
What a treat to hear some down home English...an addition for you-

Toejam- the fuzzy gross stuff that socks leave between your toes at the end of the day

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:59
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
That was totally swish! Mar 7, 2004

Thanks Pina!!

To quote you: "Hey, girleen, you are an inspiration to us all".

Cheers,
Stefanie

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 18:59
French to English
+ ...
Good ones! Mar 7, 2004

I especially like "have that T-shirt".

In the "old days" a helicopter was called "attentive"

Thanks Pina!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dailycandy.com lexicon of English words and expressions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »