Linguistic Curiosities
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
#JuliaC#
#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
German to Italian
+ ...
Italian sentence with all the letters of the alphabet May 4, 2011

It may also sound interesting for chemical translator:-)

"Qualche vago ione tipo zolfo, bromo, sodio".

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Some Czech ones May 4, 2011

The longest Czech word consisting of consonants only: smršť (read smrshtj; meaning windstorm).

The longest Czech word: nejneobhospodařovávatelnějšího (genitive for "the least arable).

A tongue twister a TV announcer had to pronounce while commenting on a previous play: "Roli krále Leara hrál Vladimír Leraus" (meaning Vladimír Leraus starring as King Lear).

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:45
English to French
+ ...
French sentence with all the letters of the alphabet May 4, 2011

Portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Palindromics May 4, 2011

Words/sentences you can read from left to right and right to left:

« A man, a plan, a canal: Panama. »
« Evil is a name of foeman, as I live. » (Michel Laclos)
« Never odd or even. »

« Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port-Salut ! » (Victor Hugo)
« Ésope reste ici et se repose »

... See more
Words/sentences you can read from left to right and right to left:

« A man, a plan, a canal: Panama. »
« Evil is a name of foeman, as I live. » (Michel Laclos)
« Never odd or even. »

« Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port-Salut ! » (Victor Hugo)
« Ésope reste ici et se repose »

For more (in 24 languages):
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palindrome#Mots_palindromes

Note: Le palindrome de Saint-Gilles, by Pol Kools (2004), has 2119 words
Collapse

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Thai name for 'Bangkok' May 5, 2011

[/quote]
There's a short article that mentions the Maori name here http://www.thailandlife.com/ericshackle/placename.html

It also says (and there was a program about it on Japanese TV too some time ago - it's on TV so it has to be true, right?) that the official name of Bangkok, Thailand is actually
... See more
[/quote]
There's a short article that mentions the Maori name here http://www.thailandlife.com/ericshackle/placename.html

It also says (and there was a program about it on Japanese TV too some time ago - it's on TV so it has to be true, right?) that the official name of Bangkok, Thailand is actually the longest place name in the world. [/quote]

You might be right about the official name of Bangkok (Krung Thep in Thai) being the longest place name in the world:

"Krung Thep is actually an abbreviated version of the ceremonial full name, which is shown below.

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

In the official English romanisation, this is certified as the longest place name in the world in the Guinness book of records. It's pronounced something like:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn."
Collapse

Juho Karhu
Juho Karhu  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:45
English to Finnish
+ ...
. Jul 4, 2011

Tim Drayton wrote:

Paul Dixon wrote:

Word with most umlauts: kääntäjää (Finnish for translator - I came across this one by chance the other day - could also be the word with most repeated letters)

I would have to correct you on that one. The combination of agglutination and vowel harmony in Turkish means that it is possible to make many words with more umlauts.

For example:

öldürücü - lethal
öldürücülük - lethalness
öldürücülüğü - its lethality
öldürücülüğünün - of its lethality

Would also be possible in Finnish if we start agglutinating..

kääntäjääköhän - would roughly mean (context dependant): "I wonder whether a translator", where translator would have to be the object of the sentence;
for example in the sentence "Kääntääköhän tässä tarvitaan?" - "I wonder whether a translator is needed here?"

The Finnish word "epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän" is, as far as I know, marked in the Guinness book as the longest non-compound word and would also contain more umlauts than any of the previously mentioned words. Approximate meaning would be "I wonder whether even with his (or her) ability of not being unsystematic"

[Edited at 2011-07-04 16:39 GMT]

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
German compound fans, anywhere? Jul 4, 2011

The German compound tick is quite widely known

(see e.g. re "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

or re the official "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz" (Law regarding the transfer of monitoring duties concerning the labell
... See more

or re the official "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz" (Law regarding the transfer of monitoring duties concerning the labelling of beef)
se e.g. here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz )

but I wonder whether there are other translators to German around here who also like to play with it a bit from time to time, just to see which word monsters might slip their fingertips if they play with some German grammar glue. My own last attempt was in the thread "Favourite words", now I can't stop myself from a trial to top that old one. Let's see...

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmützenrandbandfransenfädchendoppelknotenlösungsfindungssuchereignismitteilungssatzanfangstippfehlerentdeckungreisenzwischenstopp

(Which would be, translated, something like the "Stopover on a typo discovery journey (discovering typos in) the first sentence in a result notification message (about the results of the) search for a solution for the double knot in the thin thread in the fringe at the edge of the hat of the captain of the Danubian steamship shipping company)
Collapse

R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree!!! Jul 5, 2011

[quote]Lingua 5B wrote:

I've always found the French word "cacahuète" ( peanut) extremely funny. Perhaps because it's peanut beginning with " ca ca " heh.

Me, too!

[Edited at 2011-07-05 03:52 GMT]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Cockapoo Jul 5, 2011

I've always found the French word "cacahuète" ( peanut) extremely funny.

While on the subject... How about that cute dog, a cross between the Cocker Spaniel and the Poodle. American English pronunciation makes its name sound particularly amusing, if not the silliest of all...

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:45
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Beutelrattenlattengitterkotterhottentottenstottertrottelmutterattentäter Jul 5, 2011

apk12 wrote:

or re the official "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz" (Law regarding the transfer of monitoring duties concerning the labelling of beef)
se e.g. here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz )

but I wonder whether there are other translators to German around here who also like to play with it a bit from time to time, just to see which word monsters might slip their fingertips if they play with some German grammar glue. My own last attempt was in the thread "Favourite words", now I can't stop myself from a trial to top that old one. Let's see...

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmützenrandbandfransenfädchendoppelknotenlösungsfindungssuchereignismitteilungssatzanfangstippfehlerentdeckungreisenzwischenstopp

(Which would be, translated, something like the "Stopover on a typo discovery journey (discovering typos in) the first sentence in a result notification message (about the results of the) search for a solution for the double knot in the thin thread in the fringe at the edge of the hat of the captain of the Danubian steamship shipping company)

Another one, from a long story:

Beutelrattenlattengitterkotterhottentottenstottertrottelmutterattentäter

May be seen here, but in portuguese:

http://www.ebah.com.br/content/AFAAAACFsAL/hottentotten

#JuliaC#
#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Beutelrattenlattengitterkotterhottentottenstottertrottelmutterattentäter Jul 5, 2011

It's wonderful... I had already read it here (for Italians):

http://blog.chatta.it/bohs_way/post/le-parole-composte-tedesche-.aspx

Ulrike H
Ulrike H
English to German
+ ...
czech tongue twisters Jul 8, 2011

we learned these tongue twisters back in czech class, to study pronunciation.

one is a sentence without vowels:
Strč prst skrz krk (put the finger through the throat)

another one has the letter combination "se" several times in a row:
Nesnese se se sestrou (he doesn't get along with the sister)

Kaija Viitpoom
Kaija Viitpoom  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 14:45
English to Estonian
+ ...
Estonian Jun 1, 2012

There's a word with 4 ä-s next to each other in Estonian: jää-äär (meaning the edge of ice) and one with 4 ö-s next to each other: töö-öö (working night).

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:45
Chinese to English
Don't know if 囧 is well known outside China yet... Jun 2, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiong

Many moons ago it meant a window/light from a window, but it fell out of use (thousands of years ago) until it was revived in 2005 by some bright spark, and has become a standard emoticon China. Can mean the same as, but is also used to mean embarrassment.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
Joke? Jun 6, 2012

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

ВЫНУТЬ (take out) -- the word has no root.
It consists of prefix ("ВЫ-"), suffix ("-НУ-"), and infinitive ending ("-ТЬ").

Neither English no Russian have a word to name the back side of the knee.

---
All the words in the following story are meaninggless. They are artificial, but they sound Russian-like and the grammar, actions, moods and attitudes are well recognised due to inflections. This passage demonstrates the richness of synthetic languages, where inflections render more meaning that roots.

Л. Петрушевская. "Пуськи бятые"

Сяпала Калуша по напушке и увазила бутявку. И волит:
-- Калушата, калушаточки! Бутявка!
Калушата присяпали и бутявку стрямкали.
И подудонились.
А Калуша волит:
-- Оее, оее! Бутявка-то некузявая!
Калушата бутявку вычучили,
Бутявка вздребезнулась, сопритюкнулась и усяпала с напушки.
А Калуша волит
-- Бутявок не трямкают. Бутявки дюбые и зюмо-зюмо некузявые.
От бутявок дудонятся. А бутявка волит за напушкой:
-- Калушата подудонились! Калушата подудонились! Зюмо
некузявые! Пуськи бятые!

(from http://semachki.narod.ru/writing.htm (сЕмачки=-))

LOL, good joke! Are you sure it's not in Mongol or Kazakh? You know, Russia has imposed the cyrillic script on many nations!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguistic Curiosities

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »