danilingua
danilingua  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:19
English to German
+ ...
bei Fuß :-) Jan 14, 2010

British Diana wrote:

Gillian, why don't you post on the German forum as well and start collecting. I can think of Sitz, Platz
P.S. I think there is a command "heel", isn't there?

one can always try

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:19
French to English
+ ...
Not so much the language as the tone Jan 14, 2010

At dog training classes I was always told that it's not so much the words you use as the tone. You can say anything you like (in theory) as long as you use the right tone. I think we tried it once with a silly word like teapot, but said with the same intonation as you would say "Down", i.e. deep and low, and it worked! In saying that, I do use the traditional English commands for my two dogs, although the older one (14 1/2) has decided that she's too old to obey such trivial commands now and fei... See more
At dog training classes I was always told that it's not so much the words you use as the tone. You can say anything you like (in theory) as long as you use the right tone. I think we tried it once with a silly word like teapot, but said with the same intonation as you would say "Down", i.e. deep and low, and it worked! In saying that, I do use the traditional English commands for my two dogs, although the older one (14 1/2) has decided that she's too old to obey such trivial commands now and feigns deafness wherever possible. Strange, then, that she can hear the biscuit tin opening from the other side of the house....Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Practicality of teaching dog in second language Jan 14, 2010

I live in the USA, and a few local people keep German shepherds as guard dogs, or, as the rumor goes, attack dogs. They are said to train them in German so that an English speaking intruder could not easily give the dogs the commands that might deter them.
Has anybody else ever heard of this?

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
My dog knows franglais Jan 14, 2010

I used to have a neighbour (ex-US military) who trained his 2 guard dogs in Spanish.

My own dog was a "rescue dog" and over a year old when I got him, so we needed to establish some common ground and rules fast. He knows "good boy" and "gone" (and I suspect a whole lot more) in English, but most of his commands are in French, probably not very standard:

Come= viens / ici
Heel=au pied (or is it aux pieds? - I've never seen it written - must check that)
Leave
... See more
I used to have a neighbour (ex-US military) who trained his 2 guard dogs in Spanish.

My own dog was a "rescue dog" and over a year old when I got him, so we needed to establish some common ground and rules fast. He knows "good boy" and "gone" (and I suspect a whole lot more) in English, but most of his commands are in French, probably not very standard:

Come= viens / ici
Heel=au pied (or is it aux pieds? - I've never seen it written - must check that)
Leave=laisse
Get in the car/go upstairs=monte
Get/go down=descends
Not there!=pas là! (inappropriate choice of place to lift leg)
Find=cherche
Where is...?=où est...?
look!=regarde!
In the garden=au jardin
By the door=à la/devant la porte

Pirate's gesture trained too: finger on lips with "shhh!" proved more effect than shouting (like for kids) For time, "past/before" is like a beckoning over my shoulder, "future/after" is an arching outwards (more or less the opposite). Yes you CAN teach dogs about time!

Those who still believe its all in the tone of voice have never had an intelligent dog. Sure it helps, but how do you explain the dog starting to look for his lead at the merest mid-sentence mention of "coat", "boots" or "out"? He can also recognise several species of animal from the name (cuckoo, turtle dove, pheasant, fox, hare, deer, sheep, cow, horse, hen, goose...), plus loads of people's names.

Realising Pirate was bright, once he knew a few words, I started putting them together in pidgin-French: e.g. "Giselle-voiture-gone" (Giselle has driven away), "on va à Ambert après night-night" (we're going to Ambert tomorrow, so no need to get excited now). Unfortunately, he's developed such a wide vocabulary and understanding, even a grasp of syntax, that my partner and I need to speak in English to stop the dog eavesdropping. But now he's picking THAT up too. Soon I'll be able to outsource my translations to the dog! =)

[edited for typo - Pirate needs to improve his technique!]

[Edited at 2010-01-14 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Tone, body language, and foreign languages Jan 14, 2010

Have any of you seen The Dog Whisperer? He confirms what I've instinctively known for years as a dog owner. Body language is the main thing. That's where the tone of voice comes in as well.

I, too, have experimented with my dogs (in French) and in English with silly words. The dog looks up to me as the master, and my body language tells her far more about the command than the actual word.

Having said that, a couple of dog-training books (I've read many) note that it's b
... See more
Have any of you seen The Dog Whisperer? He confirms what I've instinctively known for years as a dog owner. Body language is the main thing. That's where the tone of voice comes in as well.

I, too, have experimented with my dogs (in French) and in English with silly words. The dog looks up to me as the master, and my body language tells her far more about the command than the actual word.

Having said that, a couple of dog-training books (I've read many) note that it's best not to name your dog Noel or Bingo, for example, because the dog may be confused with the No command.

A snap of the fingers brings my German Shepherd to heel.

@ Jessica: I've heard of what you say, especially when Rottweilers were all the rage around here. Might be an urban legend.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Very true Jan 14, 2010

Wordeffect wrote:

Those who still believe its all in the tone of voice have never had an intelligent dog. Sure it helps, but how do you explain the dog starting to look for his lead at the merest mid-sentence mention of "coat", "boots" or "out"? ...

e.g. "Giselle-voiture-gone" (Giselle has driven away), [Edited at 2010-01-14 14:03 GMT]

Yes, that's true.

This also re minds me of a scene in Frasier where Frasier says to his father, "You don't understand what's at stake!" And Eddie, their Jack Russell terrier sits right up, licking his lips. "Not that kind of steak Eddie!"

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Czech Jan 14, 2010

Sit = sedni
Down = lehni
Stay = zůstaň
Fetch = přines/aport
Leave = volno
Come = ke mně
Heel = k noze

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Dogs and speech Jan 14, 2010

It's been proved that an average dog understands about 100-ish words common in everyday speech ( or rather the words they are exposed to and that you use most in their presence). Say if you have a dog that stays indoor, it will understand much more being constantly exposed to human speech.

On a side note, have you ever heard your dog uttering some form of inarticulate speech? ( don't laugh, other dog owners confirmed they did! ). My dog has some specific mumblings ( not barking, not
... See more
It's been proved that an average dog understands about 100-ish words common in everyday speech ( or rather the words they are exposed to and that you use most in their presence). Say if you have a dog that stays indoor, it will understand much more being constantly exposed to human speech.

On a side note, have you ever heard your dog uttering some form of inarticulate speech? ( don't laugh, other dog owners confirmed they did! ). My dog has some specific mumblings ( not barking, not whining, it's just mumbling) that she utters in specific situations ( usually when she is excited about something or wants something from us). It's genius! My dog can talk
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jake ... Jan 14, 2010

All I have to do is say, "Jake, I need to clean your ears!" (and I can say this to a friend while talking on the phone, say) and Jake heads for the hills, he scrams, he's outta here! He knows a lot of other word phrases as well.

On the other hand, Jim and July seem to do better with visual cues (esp. for sit). They are great with a shouted "come" in the field, but also respond to an arm movement, and I seem to be able to turn them to move in a new direction with just a sweep of my
... See more
All I have to do is say, "Jake, I need to clean your ears!" (and I can say this to a friend while talking on the phone, say) and Jake heads for the hills, he scrams, he's outta here! He knows a lot of other word phrases as well.

On the other hand, Jim and July seem to do better with visual cues (esp. for sit). They are great with a shouted "come" in the field, but also respond to an arm movement, and I seem to be able to turn them to move in a new direction with just a sweep of my arm.

I'm with Clair, however, that tone counts, too!
Collapse

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Lingua 5B Jan 14, 2010

Of course your dog can talk!

OK - I'm going to risk "coming out" here: in my experience animals communicate not only with wth each other but also with humans. They choose to do so, if only we will take the time and make the effort to "listen". Wild animals and birds will do this too, once they understand you present no threat, and may do so in "thought pictures", which they're much better at than I am. I still have so much to learn from all of them.

Maybe it's the stuf
... See more
Of course your dog can talk!

OK - I'm going to risk "coming out" here: in my experience animals communicate not only with wth each other but also with humans. They choose to do so, if only we will take the time and make the effort to "listen". Wild animals and birds will do this too, once they understand you present no threat, and may do so in "thought pictures", which they're much better at than I am. I still have so much to learn from all of them.

Maybe it's the stuff of another thread: what our animals say to US.

One sound I've used with all my animals for some years now is a sharp "A-a!" based on universally understood alarm calls in the wild (also usd with children). It's a warning either of danger (a car coming) or "naughty" behaviour (oops - I'm for it now). It always gets an instant response.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
; ) Jan 14, 2010

Wordeffect wrote:
It's a warning either of danger (a car coming) or "naughty" behaviour (oops - I'm for it now).

I have developed a very idiolectical set of commands for my dog.

[Edited at 2010-01-14 16:12 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:19
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian Jan 14, 2010

Sit = Сидеть! [si'det]
Down = Лежать! [le'zhat]
Stay = Стоять! [sto'yat]
Fetch = Апорт! [a'port]
Off = Фу! [fu]
Leave = Гуляй! [gu'lyai]
Come = Ко мне! [ko mnye]
Heel = Рядом ['ryadom]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not only but it does have a part to play Jan 14, 2010

Wordeffect wrote:

Those who still believe its all in the tone of voice have never had an intelligent dog. Sure it helps, but how do you explain the dog starting to look for his lead at the merest mid-sentence mention of "coat", "boots" or "out"? He can also recognise several species of animal from the name (cuckoo, turtle dove, pheasant, fox, hare, deer, sheep, cow, horse, hen, goose...), plus loads of people's names.

I wasn't suggesting that tone was the only thing they responded to, merely that it can be important, especially in the major commands. I have two highly intelligent dogs who respond to all sorts of different words, no matter what tone you say them in, especially "bath" (cue to hide!). My Springer in particular seems able to distinguish between the names of the various animal toys in her toy basket and usually brings the right one if you ask her to bring one.

As for talking, my older collie is generally a very quiet dog, rarely barking, but whenever we've left her at kennels when we've gone on holiday, she always "talks" to us at length when we pick her up, as though she's telling us the story of what she's been up to whilst we've been away. Interestingly, my Springer has picked up on that too, so we have the two of them competing with these noises that they never make at any other time - fascinating! They love their kennels - a private farm, where they're spoilt rotten - by the way, so it's not a complaint!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 14, 2010

I met a guy once in Hope, Arkansas who was a state trooper and one half of a "K9 unit". His dog had been trained in Holland and only responded to commands in Dutch.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Down Jan 14, 2010

Tuliparola wrote:
As a child I heard that a friend of mine said:"Down" to her Munsterland dog (hunting-pointing-breed), which was of German origin. I think Kevin can tell more about it.

That one is quite distinct from Platz, though some don't realize it, because a lot of dogs (and their hunters/owners) are sloppy about it.

"Platz" is basically what most English speakers say "down" for. When a German hunter says down (or uses the Trillerpfeife), then in theory the dog is supposed to hit the ground fast and tuck its head between its paws on the ground. With Platz, in contrast, the head is raised. Although illegal now, many hunters still use electric collars to enforce the "down" at a distance, because among other things, it is intended to make the dog leave of chasing game or stop before it does something potentially deadly like chase a hare across a road. A lot of good dogs are lost that way

There are other variations of this that were common among the old guys here in the former GDR, but I'd have to ask one to be sure of what they were. "Halt" might have been one version, but don't rely on that unless you ask someone who knows or I have a chance to check. As usual, too, there are regional variations in Waidmannssprache and related vocabularies, so what I learn from my friends and mentors around Berlin won't necessarily apply to Bavaria or the Saarland.

A lot of Germans are unaware of this use of "down". When my ex and I lived in Oregon, we used "down" for the dogs just because she was concerned about possible confusion with Platz/Sitz. Personally, I think that's nonsense and have never had that trouble, but the thought enters many heads, even rather smart ones. In any case, if she had been aware of the hunter's usage, I think she would have mentioned it, because she always was pretty good about feeding me interesting cultural tidbits.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dog commands

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »