Thread poster: Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:32
German to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2003

I have 2 questions regarding the kudoz.net.

1) \" Cost:

FREE to ProZ.com platinum members

FREE to all members until March 1, 2003\"

Does this mean non-platinum members just need to download/install before March 1, and then they can use it for free forever? (i.e. should I get a move on?) Or does it mean if I download it *now* as a non-platinum member, I´ll have to pay or upgrade in March?

2) Does kud
... See more
I have 2 questions regarding the kudoz.net.

1) \" Cost:

FREE to ProZ.com platinum members

FREE to all members until March 1, 2003\"

Does this mean non-platinum members just need to download/install before March 1, and then they can use it for free forever? (i.e. should I get a move on?) Or does it mean if I download it *now* as a non-platinum member, I´ll have to pay or upgrade in March?

2) Does kudoz.net allow searching of kudoz glossaries offline? This is relatively slow online at the moment, so would be a major attraction in my book. I just can´t figure out from the webpage if this is possible.

Thanks in advance

Michele
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:32
SITE FOUNDER
(1) Still free after March 1, but perhaps limited, (2) Yes, you can search Feb 13, 2003

KudoZ.net will continue to be free and unlimited for platinum members. For non-platinum members, we may impose some limits on March 1 or a later date. We are concerned about overuse--because it is so easy to ask and search in batches--but so far no one has abused from KudoZ.net. So there is no reason to let the impending possibility of a pricing policy stop you from downloading and using the product. I do not anticipate a situation where you won\'t continue to get some usefulness out of it free,... See more
KudoZ.net will continue to be free and unlimited for platinum members. For non-platinum members, we may impose some limits on March 1 or a later date. We are concerned about overuse--because it is so easy to ask and search in batches--but so far no one has abused from KudoZ.net. So there is no reason to let the impending possibility of a pricing policy stop you from downloading and using the product. I do not anticipate a situation where you won\'t continue to get some usefulness out of it free, as you may from KudoZ now.

As for searching KudoZ.net archives, it is possible from the tool, but you do have to be online. Give it a try.
Collapse

Galina Labinko Rodriguez
Galina Labinko Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Is not working on my PC at all Feb 14, 2003

I installed it on my PC following the instructions (entered my username and my password). When I try to use some of the functions (download the glossaries, update glossaries, ask a question, etc), it seems to be connecting to the website OK, but at the end gives me the message \"The Prozcom server has sent an error message: No request was received\". When I try to download all my questions from Proz, get the message \"This function is only available for Platinum members\". So it won\'t recognize... See more
I installed it on my PC following the instructions (entered my username and my password). When I try to use some of the functions (download the glossaries, update glossaries, ask a question, etc), it seems to be connecting to the website OK, but at the end gives me the message \"The Prozcom server has sent an error message: No request was received\". When I try to download all my questions from Proz, get the message \"This function is only available for Platinum members\". So it won\'t recognize my Platinum membership. I installed the program twice and it still doesn\'t work. My PC has the minimum requirements as specified in the instructions.

Any advise????????????

Cheers
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But can glossary searching really be faster then? Feb 14, 2003

Quote:

As for searching KudoZ.net archives, it is possible from the tool, but you do have to be online. Give it a try.

Thanks for your answer, Henry.

But if I have to be online to search the glossaries though, I´m guessing there would be no advantage to installing kudoz.net (not in general, I mean just for this specific task). It seems to be a server-side bottleneck that makes glo... See more
Quote:

But if I have to be online to search the glossaries though, I´m guessing there would be no advantage to installing kudoz.net (not in general, I mean just for this specific task). It seems to be a server-side bottleneck that makes glossary searching slow.

proz members: if you´ve installed kudoz.net, what´s your impression of glossary searching? Can someone tell me concretely if the glossary search is any faster/better/easier?

Thanks again

Michele ▲ Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Please make sure to entered the correct ID and password Feb 14, 2003

Hello Galina,

when you enter the ProZ.com ID and password, please make sure that you enter exactly the same data which you use to login at ProZ.com.

When you have done this, click the button \"Check for update\". After KudoZ.NET has connected successfully to the server it will know that you are a Platinum member.

Hermann

Galina Labinko Rodriguez
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
my data is OK Feb 14, 2003

Hello Hermann,

My Proz username and password as well as my email are correct. It just doesn\'t work

Hermann Bruns
English to German
What happens when you click "Check for update" ? Feb 14, 2003

Hello Galina,

what happens when you click \"Check for update\"? Is any message shown?

Hermann

Hermann Bruns
English to German
KudoZ.NET does more... Feb 14, 2003

Hi Michele,

KudoZ.NET is not just a KudoZ tool. It can also search other online resource (like Systran, Wordreference, Ectaco, and LEO), and the KudoZ search is more detailed than the one which is available via browser.

Moreover, as a KudoZ tool, KudoZ saves your requests (including searches) and answers so that you have a good overview about what you are doing.

The next version will include a team function which will allow you to bu
... See more
Hi Michele,

KudoZ.NET is not just a KudoZ tool. It can also search other online resource (like Systran, Wordreference, Ectaco, and LEO), and the KudoZ search is more detailed than the one which is available via browser.

Moreover, as a KudoZ tool, KudoZ saves your requests (including searches) and answers so that you have a good overview about what you are doing.

The next version will include a team function which will allow you to build a kind of mini-KudoZ with your team.

And, in the future, there will be more functions which will give you easy access to local resources of your computer.

Hermann
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:32
SITE FOUNDER
Results from Eurodicautom, Systran, KudoZ archives in 10 seconds Feb 14, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-14 09:27, michelej wrote:

Quote:

But if I have to be online to search the glossaries though, I´m guessing there would be no advantage to installing kudoz.net... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-14 09:27, michelej wrote:

Quote:

But if I have to be online to search the glossaries though, I´m guessing there would be no advantage to installing kudoz.net (not in general, I mean just for this specific task). It seems to be a server-side bottleneck that makes glossary searching slow.

proz members: if you´ve installed kudoz.net, what´s your impression of glossary searching? Can someone tell me concretely if the glossary search is any faster/better/easier?

Thanks again

Michele

Yes, it is faster, better and easier. It is true that the component that searches the KudoZ archives is the same--that will not be faster (note: make sure to enter the language pair to maximize speed). But because you can search multiple resources, for multiple terms--at once and in parallel--the overall experience is much faster. You may wait 10 seconds for a response...but you will have results from Eurodicautom, Systran, the KudoZ archives, etc.

In an additional second, you can send the question through to KudoZ for colleagues to answer.

Can you do all that in 11 seconds now?

Of course, we know speed is critical, and we will be optimizing things so that the results come even faster.

Just try it, Michele, you will see what we mean. ▲ Collapse

Galina Labinko Rodriguez
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
The message I get Feb 17, 2003

Hello Hermann,

The message I get when trying to update or download, or any other function that requires to communicate with the proz site is: \"The Prozcom server has sent an error message: No request was received\". Howerver, it establishes the dial-up link and seems to be doing something as I can see it on the progress meter.

Hermann Bruns
English to German
Try the other connection platform, please Feb 17, 2003

Hello Galina,

thank you for the problem description.

KudoZ.NET provides two connection platforms. In tab \"Settings\" you can choose between Winsock and Internet Explorer. Please try to connect using the other option which is not selected currently. Maybe, this will help.

Hermann

Galina Labinko Rodriguez
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
I give up Feb 26, 2003

Hello Hermann,

I tried both, Winsock and IE (nothing worked). The funny thing happens. I usually have 3 internet connections. The message I described to you I get when connected to my usuar provider. When I make other 2 my standard connections, it connects to the Internet. However, when I click on let\'s say Update function, I even don\'t see the progress bar or error message, just some flashing.

I have IE4. Does it make any difference?

Hermann Bruns
English to German
Install new Internet Explorer, please Feb 27, 2003

Hello Galina,

I am sorry that you still have problems running KudoZ.NET.

That you are using version 4 of the Internet Explorer can indeed cause problems, especially if you use the Internet Explorer as connection platform.

For this and for other reasons (security, displaying) I strongly recommend to install the latest version of the Internet Explorer (6 SP1).

I also recommend that you install the latest version 1.
... See more
Hello Galina,

I am sorry that you still have problems running KudoZ.NET.

That you are using version 4 of the Internet Explorer can indeed cause problems, especially if you use the Internet Explorer as connection platform.

For this and for other reasons (security, displaying) I strongly recommend to install the latest version of the Internet Explorer (6 SP1).

I also recommend that you install the latest version 1.180 of KudoZ.NET which is available since yesterday (http://www.kudoznet.com). Please install this version to make sure that all components are installed correctly.

Thanks

Hermann
Collapse

Evelina Mineva (X)
Evelina Mineva (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
Greek (Ancient) to Bulgarian
+ ...
The same problem Feb 28, 2003

Hello,

I have exact the same problem with Galina. I am using IE 5. I downloaded today the Kudoz.Net,i.e. I downloaded the last version, but when I am trying to connect to the PRoz.com and to check for latest version, the answer is:\"The PRoZ.com server has sent an eror message: No request was received.\"

Best regards, Evelina

Hermann Bruns
English to German
Please try both connection platforms Mar 2, 2003

Hello Evelina,

have you tried to connect both with Winsock and with the IE as connection platform?

KudoZ.NET has been tested on systems which run the IE 5, and it ran smoothly. However, to make sure that the IE is not the cause of the problem, please install the IE 6.

Thanks

Hermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz.net: cost? + glossary search?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »