Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you explain why? Jun 25, 2009

Andrea Jarmuschewski wrote:
If I make a gaffe, I acknowledge it - after all, we're all humans, aren't we? But I wouldn't remove it, somehow it does not feel right to me.

Could you explain why it would not feel right? Don't you ever take back anything you say outside of Kudoz? If you do take back things after reconsidering them, I don't see why we should feel bad about taking back clumsy answers her.

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
@ Thomas Jun 25, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

If I make a gaffe, I acknowledge it - after all, we're all humans, aren't we? But I wouldn't remove it, somehow it does not feel right to me.

Could you explain why it would not feel right? Don't you ever take back anything you say outside of Kudoz? If you do take back things after reconsidering them, I don't see why we should feel bad about taking back clumsy answers her.

Well yes, I do take back things I say outside of KudoZ! But that does not make them unsaid. With Kudoz, I do just the same: I acknowledge my mistake.

I'm only speaking for myself here - for me (personally) it does not feel right - which only means that I wouldn't do it, and not that I'd condemn anybody who thinks otherwise.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Major gaffes, yes... Jun 25, 2009

Like totally misunderstanding the question, not reading the context properly, or anything that might be misleading to others using the glossary later. It doesn't happen often, but I deleted one this week!

Otherwise I tend to leave them as an 'awful warning'.

I do try to base my answers on reliable sources etc. So IMHO most of my answers should at least be acceptable. If I'm guessing, I wait until several hours after the question was posted, to see if anyone has a better
... See more
Like totally misunderstanding the question, not reading the context properly, or anything that might be misleading to others using the glossary later. It doesn't happen often, but I deleted one this week!

Otherwise I tend to leave them as an 'awful warning'.

I do try to base my answers on reliable sources etc. So IMHO most of my answers should at least be acceptable. If I'm guessing, I wait until several hours after the question was posted, to see if anyone has a better suggestion I can learn from, or I try to find support for my guess, but if I can't resist guessing, I may be way off target

I'm not perfect, and not all sources are infallible. Even the best may be outdated five years later...

So when my answers are wrong, as long as they are marked with a disagree or other warning, I leave them.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very true... Jun 25, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Don't you ever take back anything you say outside of Kudoz?

Well yes, I do take back things I say outside of KudoZ! But that does not make them unsaid.

This is so very true! As I get older I keep learning that it's better to keep silent!

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I remove them Jun 25, 2009

I consider the few gaffes I have made as useless junk that only clutters the screen and is of no help to anyone. A kind of "keep the site clean" attitude

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hide Jun 25, 2009

On the few occasions that I discovered I had completely misunderstood the question or the context, I hid my answer. It can be difficult enough for the asker to choose among different options. Leaving my wrong answer can only confuse the issue. And yes, to be honest, that's not the kind of thing I would like to have floating around in cyberspace.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you withdraw major gaffes?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »