Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Feedback please #2: Would you advise anyone to transfer their grading rights to the entire community
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
Italian to English
+ ...
4 Jun 16, 2009

Although I can see Little Balu's argument in favour of 2) in some cases. However, advising someone to transfer their voting rights to the community because they're too stupid/ignorant to know which is the best answer to their question would undoubtedly be against the rules.

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
4 Jun 16, 2009

I also agree with Tina.

I suppose such an option might work in a community where everyone most definitely worked to the same criteria? Though I have a feeling that this would then be a closed community.

But ProZ isn't that kind of group.

I can imagine situations where an asker may actually not feel competent to grade - e.g. a knotty term referring to a fairly unknown field which suddenly loomed out of a text about something completely different. However,
... See more
I also agree with Tina.

I suppose such an option might work in a community where everyone most definitely worked to the same criteria? Though I have a feeling that this would then be a closed community.

But ProZ isn't that kind of group.

I can imagine situations where an asker may actually not feel competent to grade - e.g. a knotty term referring to a fairly unknown field which suddenly loomed out of a text about something completely different. However, I don't think a free-for-all would be the way to solve it. Better to consult a trusted colleague or two - or try and push for further discussion perhaps?

What's more, apart from issues of merit and substance, when it comes to KudoZ, personally I think it would just be downright discourteous to ask other people to finish what I had begun, and not to grade and thank people for their time myself - as I mentioned in the parent thread.

Caryl
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:41
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

4 Jun 17, 2009

Attila:
I love your feedback requests. You have such a great way of presenting things so clearly. I'm sure that the staff is taking note of these results.
Thanks!
Laureana

Gabriel Csaba
Gabriel Csaba  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
4 Jun 17, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
If this option is not removed, some users are likely to use it without being aware of the downsides (...)
Attila

Given the proliferation of askers not being aware of how to breathe, I have to agree completely.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
4) Jun 17, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

I fail to see why waiting 24 hours to close a question is a problem, even if you, as an asker, have already made your mind up which term to use. Also, in the Spanish to English section I participate in, the "community" (IMO) often ressembles a herd of "agree sheep" who, as far as I can tell, often don't bother to read the question or the answer properly, so how could they possibly be in a position to judge what is right and wrong?

Nikki's summed it up nicely. I've seen those "agree sheep" far too often myself, all waaaay out in left field.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Just in Jun 17, 2009

case this post gets through the vetting and in within a reasonable time (a rarity nowadays) I'd vote for alternative 4. (sent 0745 UTC on Jun 16)

[Edited at 2009-06-17 12:23 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summary of results after about 24 hours Jun 17, 2009

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Out of the 19 participants of this thread, 18 replied to the originally posted question.

It is a matter of perspective whether the results can be called unanimous or not. All answerers' first choice was #4, but Little Balu pointed to some exceptions. Therefore it may be safer to say that the overwhelming majority voted for #4. In addition to Little Balu's exception, Steffen also mentioned a possible argument in favor of option #3 (
... See more
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Out of the 19 participants of this thread, 18 replied to the originally posted question.

It is a matter of perspective whether the results can be called unanimous or not. All answerers' first choice was #4, but Little Balu pointed to some exceptions. Therefore it may be safer to say that the overwhelming majority voted for #4. In addition to Little Balu's exception, Steffen also mentioned a possible argument in favor of option #3 (while making it clear that this argument was not weighty enough to convince him).

The added comments mentioned:

1.) the bandwagon effect or herd behavior,
the "community" (IMO) often ressembles a herd of "agree sheep" (Nikki)

Nikki's summed it up nicely. I've seen those "agree sheep" far too often myself (Cindy)

I agree with Nikki too! (Christina)

2.) the adverse effect this community grading could have on the glossary
This is why I would NEVER allow to transfer grading to the community. Because this could create unexpected "creatures" in the glossary. (Ruth)

3.) that grading is a responsibility, and transferring the grading right to the community may be considered discourteous
It is the asker's responsibility to grade and close the question (Tina)

I think it would just be downright discourteous to ask other people to finish what I had begun, and not to grade and thank people for their time myself (Caryl)

it [transferring the grading rights to the community) does not contribute to the atmosphere of healthy exchange (Attila)

4.) that the mere availability of this option may influence users in an undesirable way
If this option is not removed, some users are likely to use it without being aware of the downsides (Attila)

Given the proliferation of askers not being aware of how to breathe, I have to agree completely.(Csaba)

5.) and that ...
advising someone to transfer their voting rights to the community because they're too stupid/ignorant to know which is the best answer to their question would undoubtedly be against the rules. (Marie-Hélène)

While further feedback is welcome, it looks clear that the recommendation of the present ad-hoc panel of users (including a majority of PRO certified translators) is to remove the option of transferring the grading rights to the community [mentioned as "option b)" in the thread-opening post]. To put it differently: if the same panel had been consulted prior to the implementation, their recommendation would have been against offering this option.

Note: if anyone feels that my summary given in the previous paragraph is not substantiated by the feedback received in this and the other feedback thread, please point it out; I am open to any discussion.

Since the staff alone is in the position of changing the current implementation, their feedback would be welcome -- and, in my view, necessary. To this end, I submitted a support ticket, requesting staff's (and in particular, Enrique's) input in the present thread.

Attila
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback please #2: Would you advise anyone to transfer their grading rights to the entire community

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »