Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

Hello Site Staff and Dear Colleagues,

I don't know whether it has been proposed or discussed in previous topics (sorry if yes) anyway I would like to ask the staff about possible implementation of seconds in KudoZ Answers.

The current system indicates only minutes and hours of the proposed answers. I think it is not enough when two or more answerers propose the same translation at the same time (minute).

Can you do something that would show the seconds in s
... See more
Hello Site Staff and Dear Colleagues,

I don't know whether it has been proposed or discussed in previous topics (sorry if yes) anyway I would like to ask the staff about possible implementation of seconds in KudoZ Answers.

The current system indicates only minutes and hours of the proposed answers. I think it is not enough when two or more answerers propose the same translation at the same time (minute).

Can you do something that would show the seconds in such situations (like "photo-finish")?

Thanks & Best Regards,

M. Ali

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-10 13:01 GMT]
Collapse

Nidhalz
Nidhalz
Local time: 04:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
I'll second that Jun 9, 2009

Hi,
I do agree with your suggestion and I also suggest that the same answer shouldn't be allowed more than once.

Take care,
W.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
This is not the Olympics Jun 10, 2009

Why do people take kudoz so seriously?
I just wonder...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This is not the Kentucky Derby Jun 10, 2009

In cases like this I give the points to the person who provided the better explanation. I also might give the points to the answer with the best explanation even if it arrived later. After all, the most helpful answer should be rewarded, not the fastest.

Katya Kesten

delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 23:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn't seem to matter much anyway Jun 10, 2009

Not to mention that, what I have noticed (I am "effectively" new here in ProZ) is that there are many more askers that don't bother to give kudoz to those that help them then askers that do care. Kind of frustrating for someone that is new to the system. So, being first, second or last kind of makes not a difference, most of the time, you're going to get zero kudos anyway.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why exactly? Jun 10, 2009

WalidmUK wrote:
I also suggest that the same answer shouldn't be allowed more than once.

There are colleagues who interrupt their own work and start googling like crazy to back up their suggestions with excellent references. Of course this takes a few seconds. Then the points should be rewarded to the answerer who more probably than not based his / her answer on mere guesswork?

What a great concept to build a glossary.

Katya Kesten

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:01
English to German
+ ...
Seconds? No! Milliseconds? Yes! Jun 10, 2009

The introduction of milliseconds would have a tremendous effect: More and more ProZians would participate. And what about involving customers, prospects and leads? Why not have more fun?
It's time for a change
@ProZ management: Can we implement milliseconds, please?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

[Edited at 2009-06-10 11:36 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
One more thing Jun 10, 2009

What about the colleagues who are not blessed with high speed cable access or similar?

Their answers might arrive a second later. That'll show them old-fashioned DSL or dial-up users!

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2009-06-10 05:57 GMT]

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
no need Jun 10, 2009

If a question is answered properly, that is, with explanation, example sentence and references, the chances of two answers being of exactly the same value to the question poster are pretty slim.

The situation you are probably referring to is when the question poster can't be bothered (or doesn't know how) to Goggle a relatively simple term himself meaning that more or less identical answers consisting of no more than the target word can be provided within seconds.
These kind o
... See more
If a question is answered properly, that is, with explanation, example sentence and references, the chances of two answers being of exactly the same value to the question poster are pretty slim.

The situation you are probably referring to is when the question poster can't be bothered (or doesn't know how) to Goggle a relatively simple term himself meaning that more or less identical answers consisting of no more than the target word can be provided within seconds.
These kind of questions should not be classified as PRO questions.

I don't think putting more emphasis on speed is going to make the Kudoz system any more fair than it is now.
Collapse

Michiel Leeuwenburgh
Michiel Leeuwenburgh  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Agree, no need Jun 10, 2009

I agree, there is no need for excessive speed. In all cases, a well documented answer, which often is not the fastest, is more valuable.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-10 06:59 GMT]

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-10 07:03 GMT]

Katya Kesten

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's not a race Jun 10, 2009

- or at least, it shouldn't be. I wholeheartedly agree with Nicole, Lutz, Michiel and texjax.

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
German to English
No need Jun 10, 2009

Basic idea of KUDOZ is to help fellow translators. It should not be race against time

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Speed is not what matters most Jun 10, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

It's not a race

- or at least, it shouldn't be. I wholeheartedly agree with Nicole, Lutz, Michiel and texjax.

So do I.

When asking questions myself, I rarely give the points to the "fastest" answerer but to the one who helped me most. I'd sometimes like to split points when there are several good suggestions, but I never bother about who was "first" or "second" in the race.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
split points Jun 10, 2009

I'd sometimes like to split points when there are several good suggestions,...

Yes, me too.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need for the seconds Jun 10, 2009

After all, the asker will be chosing his reply almost arbitrarily anyway, there is really no need to use seconds here. What we need is not speedy answers, but GOOD answers!!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Show seconds (not just minutes) in answer times

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »